Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Khari

smoothbeam on raised scar

I have a raised, thick scar (but not really hypertrophic according to my derm) on my eyelid, and my derm suggests smoothbeam to flatten it out. But she told me that she did not know herself if it would work or not, that the treatment is experimental. Has anyone here had smoothbeam and noticed raised scars becoming flatter? Also, the scar is very pale. Would smoothbeam increase pigmentation of the scar?

What?!! What kind of derm isn't going to know if the treatment she suggested will work or not? She must've tried it on other people to know if it'll work or even an educated guess. Experimental?? She aint' charging you is she? Don't let her 'experiment' on your face...The likelihood is that nothing bad will happen to you, but more for the principal of the matter if she can't give you a straight answer.

By the way, yes some non-ablative lasers like the Smoothbeam have been known to help with raised scarring and I didn't have to go to derm school to tell you that. What does that say about your doctor? But if she's charging you for something which by your description sounds minor, you can save the money and try a low level peel or retinoid which are known to help with that. I don't know whether the laser will help you with getting back pigment.

What?!! What kind of derm isn't going to know if the treatment she suggested will work or not? She must've tried it on other people to know if it'll work or even an educated guess. Experimental?? She aint' charging you is she? Don't let her 'experiment' on your face...The likelihood is that nothing bad will happen to you, but more for the principal of the matter if she can't give you a straight answer.

By the way, yes some non-ablative lasers like the Smoothbeam have been known to help with raised scarring and I didn't have to go to derm school to tell you that. What does that say about your doctor? But if she's charging you for something which by your description sounds minor, you can save the money and try a low level peel or retinoid which are known to help with that. I don't know whether the laser will help you with getting back pigment.

I guess she simply does not have much experience with smoothbeam and thus does not know how the scar will react. And yes, she is charging me for that, although not very much... but considering that I have to get at least 4-6 treatments it will cost quite a bit.

I already tried with retinoids and peels, but no effect so far. The problem is that I cannot go too harsh, because the scar is on the eyelid, very sensitive tissue. That is why she suggested smoothbeam, because it is not supposed to damage the dermis.

How do you know, that smoothbeam will act on raised scars, can you give me some source of information?