Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is a little awkward to ask but I haven't much about this. I've been noticing an increased amount of vaginal dryness ever since I've been on accutane (about 4 months now). Sex has been much more painful because of it and personal lubricants don't seem to help much. I'm confused because I thought that the drying effects of accutane only affected external skin layers.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

try having sex with some you are really really attracted to. you might find yourself becoming wetter and wetter.

I'll amuse myself by pretending that wasn't sarcasm. In any case, this isn't the issue since the situation is occurring with my current boyfriend who I am just as attracted to now as I was before. We've never had this problem until I started accutane I just wanted to know if anyone else on accutane has also noticed this change.

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

Accutane can dry you up all over. I read somewhere that menopausal women (they sometimes suffer from vaginal dryness) sometimes use evening primrose oil. It might be worth a try. Someone posted another thread today about this too.

Accutane really drys EVERYTHING out. Thats why a lot of people get dry eyes. Sometime I wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and I cant even open my eyes b/c they are so dry that my eyelids wont slide open and they burn. Even the inside of my nose is super dry. Maybe (I dont know if you have tried this) your boyfriend can try helping you out a bit before sex (I mean with some tongue action). Might help.

HunnyBee, I know what you mean by the dry eyes. I can't open my eyes a lot of times, when I first wake up because my eyes are sealed shut because they're so dry, and then when I wake up, they begin to tear up like crazy. Freaky deaky.

As for the dryness down *there,* try a lubricant, like that KY stuff or maybe even vaseline, maybe even a body lotion. That could help you out a lot. Good luck. :)

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

Also what kind of lubricants have you tried? My friend was telling me that KY isn't all that great.

Accutane affects mucous membranes, which I expect would result in dryness. A few people on here have mentioned it in the past; I expect a lot of others keep quiet about it though!

Lub will work. Either you are using a really crappy kind or not enough. Painful, non lubed, sex sucks. It hurts her and him alike. Just pour on the lub and go at it.

As for the dryness down *there,* try a lubricant, like that KY stuff or maybe even vaseline, maybe even a body lotion. That could help you out a lot. Good luck. :)

Don't use vaseline or body lotion as a personal lub. My understanding is if you are using a condom (like we are supposed to) it will/can break down the properties of the condom. Resulting in a major Ooooppps. Stick with the KY or someother personal lube.

**edit** From the Trojan Website (gotta love the internet)

Never let a latex condom touch oils in any form–no petroleum jelly, no baby oil, no mineral oil, no vegetable oil, not even talcum/baby powder. Oil causes condoms to deteriorate.

If you want additional lubrication, use a condom-safe, water-based or silicone lubricant on the outside of the condom.

Don't use vaseline or body lotion as a personal lub. My understanding is if you are using a condom (like we are supposed to) it will/can break down the properties of the condom. Resulting in a major Ooooppps. Stick with the KY or someother personal lube.

**edit** From the Trojan Website (gotta love the internet)

Never let a latex condom touch oils in any form–no petroleum jelly, no baby oil, no mineral oil, no vegetable oil, not even talcum/baby powder. Oil causes condoms to deteriorate.

If you want additional lubrication, use a condom-safe, water-based or silicone lubricant on the outside of the condom.

Oh wow.. I didn't know that! Yes, you definitely don't want to do that, use those products that can work against (defect) birth control products!! Thanks for the info!! :)