Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
5fiive5

What exactely do anit-biotics do?

My derm just prescribed me an antibiotic called Levaquin.. Which has help me alot. But I want to know --what exactely is going on inside my body? I have lots of questions-- What does the antibiotic do? How does it work? Kill infection? It all makes no sense to me. If they knew the cause was infection, you think instead of fighting it daily, they would just inform you on the cause of infection, to be healthier, and happier.

Im so sick of this.

I've never ever heard of that drug until now.

http://health.yahoo.com/drug/d04109a1

I guess it just fights bacteria and it's a "Treatment for respiratory, skin, and urinary tract infections."

I have NO idea EXACTLY how it works though. but I feel ya. I'm on accutane and I want to know every little thing on how it works. oh well, at long at it's working right?

I don't know if this helps at all but from what I found out:

Many common infections in humans are caused by single cell organisms, called bacteria. Bacteria can grow and multiply, infecting different parts of the body. Medicines that control and eradicate these bacteria are called antibiotics. Levaquin (aka Levofloxacin) is an antibiotic that stops multiplication of bacteria by preventing the reproduction and repair of their genetic material (DNA). It is in a class of antibiotics called fluoroquinolones.

The source of the infection is often hard to locate due to bacteria often dispersing thmselves around the body and in areas that are hard to reach by the immune system. The immunse system can target bacteria via special receptors that white blood cells have that recognise bacteria as different to human cells and also dangerous and they are hence iradicated. Sometimes the immune system cannot deal efficiently with the bacteria die to their resistance to the body's killing mechanisms (ie stopping growth of bacteria or interfering with DNA replication). It is then that antibiotics are prescribed to aid the immune system.

There are two main types of antibiotics bacteriostatic (stop cell growth) and bacteriocial (kill the bacteria by interfering with DNA). The antibiotics can target the bacteria cells and not the human cells due to some key main differences between human and bacterial cells. The main target of antibacterial drugs are the bacteria's considerably smaller ribosomes and also its cell wall which are different to human cells.

Hope this helps and that I didn't bore people too much. :D

I'm no doctor, but here's my understanding. Before explaining how antibiotics work, probably worth reiterating how acne develops (although if that is too boring just skip to the last paragraph). I saw this on a Bupa fact sheet and this its a pretty good summary:

"Acne is caused by the overactivity of the sebaceous glands that secrete oily substances onto the skin. The sebaceous glands of people with acne are especially sensitive to normal blood levels of a hormone called testosterone, found naturally in both men and women.

Testosterone in people prone to acne triggers the sebaceous glands to produce an excess of sebum. At the same time, the dead skin cells lining the openings of the hair follicles (the tubes that hold the hair) are not shed properly and clog up the follicles. These two effects combined cause a build-up of oil in the hair follicles. This causes blackheads and whiteheads to form.

For some people, their acne does not progress beyond this stage. However in other people, the build-up of oil in the hair follicles creates an ideal environment for a bacterium called Propionibacterium acnes to grow.

These bacteria normally live harmlessly on your skin but when this ideal environment is created, they grow. They feed off the sebum and produce substances that cause a response from your body's immune system. This inflames the skin and creates the redness associated with spots.

In more severe 'inflammatory acne', cysts develop beneath the skin's surface. These acne cysts can rupture, spreading the infection into nearby skin tissue. "

Antibiotics work to kill bacteria in the body and thereby kill the infection. In the treatment of acne, antibiotics are used to kill the bacteria called Propionibacterium acnes (also known as p.acnes). If you kill the p.acne bacteria you break the chain in the development of the acne and hopefully that results in an improvement in the skin. However, there are downsides of taking antibiotics. First, they don't just kill bad bacteria, in this case the p.acnes, but they also kill the good bacteria that live in our bodies, which are actually very healthful, particularly for the digestive system. You can take steps to reverse this by taking a good quality probiotic. Second, antibiotics only work to kill bacteria whilst you take them. As soon as you stop taking antibiotics, the p.acnes will start growing again and your acne will come back if you haven't otherwise naturally grown out of the triggers that cause acne in the first place. I hope thats helpful.

The potential problem with oral antibiotics is that they can also kill off beneficial bacteria in your digestive system, and create many health problems down the road.