Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
simpsin

chocolate of milk in chocolate?

I have heard from multiple sources that chocolate is bad from acne. I was wondering if this is because it contains milk or because Cocao has some acne-causing chemical. The reason I ask is becaue I drink chocolate soy milk and chocolate ice cream that is lactose free. I havnt really noticed a direct corolation between these chocolate products and acne, but I am willing to cut them out of my diet if people think that acutaly chocolate bean is bad.

I'm trying to figure out the same thing myself... I love eating nice, rich dark chocolate. The stuff that's 70 percent or higher. I don't think it's been aggravating my skin, but I've never been able to cut it out long enough to really consider whether it is or not. I cut it out for 4 days as recently as I can remember, then I just went back. I haven't had any today though so I think I'll keep it out of my diet till next weekend, see how I'm doing.

Well pure unsweetened cocoa powder is supposed to be an antiinflammatory.

Maybe it's all the sugar making you breakout if you are? I know chocolate soymilk is practically saturated w/sugar. That stuff is rich...

it's the sugar. get chocolate that's around 80% - it won't break you out unless you eat a lot of it

There is extensive research on the health benefits of the cacao plant. Before cacao was made into a confectionary (aka chocolate) it was used by several cultures for medicinal purposes. Medical complaints treated with cacao have included anemia, poor appetite, mental fatigue, poor breast milk production, consumption/tuberculosis, fever, gout, kidney stones, reduced longevity and poor sexual appetite/low virility. In addition to cacao beans, preparations of cacao bark, oil (cacao butter), leaves and flowers have been used to treat burns, bowel dysfunction, cuts and skin irritations.

Researchers found natural cocoa contains the highest capacity of the antioxidant procyanidin. By weight, cocoa powder has been found to pack "the most antioxidant punch". Chocolate has been shown to lower levels of blood pressure which is contributed to its high levels of polyphenols. The amount of polyphenols in a serving of dark chocolate is comparable to that in a cup of black tea and higher than in a glass of red wine. Chocolate has also been linked with increased brain activity, lowering levels of depression, and increasing concentration.

So why does chocolate have a bad reputation? When trans fat, processed sugar, milk products, etc ... are added to chocolate it takes away from the nutritional value of cacao and, depending on the additive, can actually be detrimental to health. The best chocolate is dark chocolate, and the higher the percentage of cacao the better it is for you. Keep in mind that 100% is completely bitter without any sugar. 80% is pretty much as tolerable as it gets. When looking for chocolate bars with added ingredients lean towards organic products. This avoids the addition of any artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. My personal favorite brand is Green & Blacks which can be found at all health stores as well as Target and other chains. My favorite flavors are Ginger (dark chocolate with crystalized giner - who needs sugar with crystalized ginger!!) and the Hazelnut & Currant. The most popular is the Mayan Gold - a dark chocolate with orange spices that is to die for. None of these have ever impacted my skin in a negative way ... but all definately have made me a happier person - just long enough to forget I even have acne!!!

Now remember ... even though black tea, green tea, red wine, and cocoa are high in phenolic phytochemicals and may serve as chemopreventive agents based on their antioxidant capacities - chocolate does contain caffeine and like wine should be enjoyed in moderation (at least for the most part). Luckily both don't need to be eliminated from the diet!!! Enjoy!!!

Chocolate breaks me out terribly.. but its not a problem because I don't like it :)! Btw.. if you have been eating chocolate products, enjoying them, and getting no breakouts from it, them don't cut it out your diet! Theres no need!

yeah, i'm actually reading a book on chocolate right now. it was regarded as extremely healthy from the time it was used by the natives of america to when it was drunk in place of coffee in europe.

something i've noticed about chocolate is that when you eat the pure, raw cacao nibs, they really stimulate you like coffee almost, but a little different. you don't really get this feeling in any chocolate bar no matter how dark the cocoa. i think something is lost in the processing of cacao to chocolate.

What I do when I feel like chocolate is get a cup of hot water and stick in 2 teaspoons of organic coco powder, with a teensy bit of honey for sweetness, basically using coco powder as if it was coffee. As rubber sheep suggests, it's quite stimulating, similar to coffee in its effect but less intense.

Another interesting thing i found out recently is that cinnamon helps control blood sugar level, so if you're worried about sugar breaking you out you could just try sprinkling the sweet thing with lovely cinnamon and you're sorted :D