Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jbalt

33 with acne

Hello all! New to the boards here. Last week I finally saw a dermatologist...

Some background... in high school and college I was acne free minus the occasional pimple every month or so. After college and entering the workforce, breakouts were more frequent but not as bad as they had gotten in the last year and a half. The last 5 years I used Proactiv but found that had become ineffective in the last year. It didn't seem to be preventing or controlling anything. I was suddenly breaking out on my forehead and cheeks and jawline. I am asian, so i get dark spots after blemishes have gone away - pick or no pick! I run my own business so I can get pretty stressed out at times which I know causes flare-ups. I've tried Philosophy, Clean and Clear and Neutrogena products but nothing improved after 3 month trials with each. Frustrated, embarassed, I realized I needed help. After waiting a month to see a derma, I came away with renewed hope. My doctor took the time to chat with me and listen and answer my probing questions about causes, different medications, etc. He also told me that he considered my case a "mild" case, which was a suprise to me, but then I was just glad that what I do have is considered mild. Unfortunately, he says, I'll be dealing with acne for awhile as an adult (Darnit!) because is it harder to treat as an adult. Stress is my major cause. In addition to the Rx meds, I was recommended to find an outlet to release the stress. The doc says running on the treadmill or elliptical (both which I do) doesn't count because it does not involve the mind, yes it's good for the heart, but not the mind. He says activities like tennis and yoga/meditation are good for the mind. Makes sense to me. Also, as we all know, a balanced diet, good hydration are essential for everyone.

I hope to keep active on these boards and let ya'll know how the meds are working for me. Here's the Rx and directions I rec'd:

AM: Wash with Brevoxyl (benzoyl peroxide) 4 Creamy Wash. Wait 30 minutes, follow with Clindagel 1% (clindamycin).

PM: Wash with Brevoxyl 4 Creamy Wash. Wait 30 minutes, follow with Retin-A Micro (tretinoin gel).

After 5 nights of using the medicated wash and Retin-A (Haven't started Clindagel yet, it had to be ordered and there was a delay and then the holiday weekend.)... I've noticed that existing or healing blemishes seemed to be drying out quicker than before. A few new blems came out but started to go away just as quick as they came. So far i have not experienced the excessive drying of the skin associated with Retin-A but it also may be too early to tell. That's all to report thus far. Thanks for reading!

welcome to the retinoid forum:) I am also on Retin A and have adult acne. Retin A works great on existing acne and will help with past red marks. Glad you are already seeing results!

Been almost a week using Brevoxyl creamy face wash 2x day and Retin-A Micro at night. The first couple days no dryness at all. Existing blems were healing quickly. Retin-A after only a few days was already working to dissipate dark spots from past blems as well as smooth out texture esp on my cheeks. Yesterday started to dry out and flake in the lower corners of my mouth... i think i spread the Retin-A too close there. I will be more careful when spreading it. I am using a Neutrogena moisturizer with sunscreen and it's def helping.

2 days ago I started Clindagel the 3rd item in my derma prescribed routine - man was that the expensive one in the trio. I was sorely missing the $10 Rx copays of my old health plan! 2 new pimples formed yesterday but seem to be drying/healing faster than before the meds. Maybe that is part of the IB as I approach week 2? Nevertheless, I am hopeful. I am also trying to drink water.... and lots of it.

Thanks for reading everyone!

sounds like progress! i am on retin a at night and bp during the day and the combination has been the best thing i have every done for my skin. you may struggle thru initial breakouts but try to hang in there! i really found that keeping hydrated is really important while on retin a so keep that up! good luck!

Since I last wrote my face seems to much more oily than normal for me. I can actually feel the buildup on my face without touching it. Part of the purging process? Also the warmer weather...we had a string of 90 degree days this past week. I think I am in the initial breakout phase... I still wake up to new pimples, but because they are still only around for a day or two I am telling myself this is all part of the process. ButI wonder if I should amp up my application topical antibiotic a bit.

For those who have experienced IB -- I feel weird saying this acronym for initital breakout sometimes because medically doesn't that mean irritable bowel like IBS? -- how long does the initial breakout last. I read that it takes 6-8 weeks to see results of treatments on Retin-A micro..but does that mean you breakout allthat time and suddenly no more..or do the breakouts gradually taper off as you approach the 6-8 weektimeframe?

Here I am talking about oily skin and IB... don't get me wrong, with Retin-A micro I am seeing red/dark spots from the past fading away nicely!

It's been awhile since I last checked in. I am now on my 6th week of my prescriebd regimen.

My red marks from old breakouts (prior to starting RAM) are almost gone. The red marks that I do still have are from the initial breakouts (that i also picked) I got on week 2 and 3.

Overall texture... big improvement... smooth on cheeks and chin... no more bumps from wanna be pimples.

The last week and a half I have had less breakouts. Maybe 1 every couple days as opposed to 2-3 a day when I was starting out.

I am still quite oily. ID Bare Minerals helps with that tremendously but if I am working from home, without makeup, I notice just how oily I get.

I am happy to see my face improving significantly from where I was 7 weeks ago. I am looking foward to even more improvement as more time goes by.

---------

AM: Wash with Brevoxyl 4 Creamy Wash. Wait 30 minutes, follow with Clindagel 1%.

PM: Wash with Brevoxyl. Wait 30 minutes, follow with Retin-A Micro.

Other products: Neutrogena Moisturizer with SPF 15 or Neutrogena Dry-touch sunblock and ID Bare Minerals makeup.

Gotta be careful when you're using Retin A ... picking can cause a lot more damage than it ordinarily would because the skin is much more fragile.

Sounds like you are having good results though, that's great!

Lots of Retin A users mention that their skin seems oilier while they use it and I have yet to figure out what that's about ... possibly the tretinoin thins out the consistency of the sebum and clears the pores so the oil reaches the surface faster? Not sure. But Green Cream and Diacneal users tend to report that their skin actually normalizes. Once you get clear with the Retin A you might consider one of those products for maintenance ... they're a bit pricey, but both are excellent.

That's great your having so much improvement. I know exactly where your coming from with that oily skin problem, Retin A is definitely to blame. I have always had oily skin but it get's 10x worse with regular use of Retin A.

Hey folks! I had my 3 month followup with my derma today.

Before I get into that i wanted to update you on my skin. Red marks/dark patches older than 3 months are completely gone. The red marks I have left are from breakouts that I picked (I know, very bad) from my initital breakout phase. They are faded, but flat and smooth. These should dissipate entirely like the older ones that I had. I have very few breakouts now... by few, I mean in the last 3 weeks I have had 2 pimples. These came and went and were gone by the 2nd day. I attributed them to a particularly stressful crazy week with work.

Like I mentioned, I had my 3 month follow up appt today. For some reason it seems like longer than 3 months but i looked at my calendar and sure enough, 3 months. My doc says I have made significant improvement and he was happy that we were able to get to this point by using topicals. To get my skin where we want to see it, he upped my dosage for RAM from .04% to .1% and we are keeping me on the Brevoxyl face wash and also the Clindagel antibiotic. I told him that i just refilled my tube of .04% and he said to keep using it, but apply a little bit more than usual. Then when that tube finishes off, start the .1% and go back to using a pea sized amount at night. I asked if I should still be using the antibiotic and he said that we are stlil early in treatment and we can re-evaluate when I see him again in 3 months.

I am extremely happy for all the progress I have made. The last 3 months saw a dramatic change for the good and I look forward to seeing continued progress.

My routine:

Brevoxyl creamy face wash, AM and PM

Clindagel topical in the AM (I started out using this everyday but have since tapered off to 3x week)

Retin-A Micro .1%, pea size amount in the PM

Neutrogena Oil-free moisture with SPF 15

Neutrogena dry touch sunblock (If I will be outdoors for an extended time)

bare minerals foundation

Other products in use:

Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask 1x a week in the AM. This helps me with oil control. I use the mask in the AM instead of at night, because I don't want to layer anything on top of RAM. I just want RAM to do its thing, which it has been doing so well.

That's that for now. Thanks for reading!