Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bane

Help for a newbie (Accutane?)

29 yrs old, male, have had acne for more than half my life now. Mostly facial, occassional back and shoulders, lately (due to sweating in the summer heat I think) severe, severe nodule acne on my back and shoulders. Mostly cystic on my face, although what I am on now (two topicals and an antibiotic) seems to help a little. Looks like my acne has once again adjusted to the medications and I have to try another antibiotic to keep things in check. I've been under treatment for almost nine years now. My skin was perfectly clear for the first few months after my very first visit to the derm, ever since then the acne appears to improve but never completely go away.

Within *minutes* of washing my face, it shines like the full moon. The acne is bad enough, but I'd give damn near anything to get rid of the oily skin.

I am facing my 30th birthday and am frankly sick and tired of dealing with this problem.

Am wondering if I should approach my derm about Accutane the next time I see him.

The medications I am on now seem to slow the healing. Even when I don't "pick" at my acne, and it heals on its own, the red marks stay for up to three months. Otherwise, even if the cysts don't fully form and turn into giant red planets on my face, they hurt. They hurt like hell. And then there's the oil...

I know my story is not atypical by any stretch of the imagination, and I know that each of you understands what I am going through. But it feels good to vent.

I do not remember what it is like to face life with clear skin. I want my acne gone, forever.

Is Accutane my answer, or do I just get to keep trying new drugs and creams for the rest of my life? I've tried Proactive, I've tried the Vitamin B, I've tried every pill and cream the various doctors have prescribed over the years. Acne still ultimetely wins. Is there a solution?

You should have taken accutane earlier in my opinion,it is the best hope for someone with serious acne specially when creams dont work.Diff go for it talk to your doc and he/she will tell you all the details its a long course with some side effects around 5-10% people get more serious side effects specially with high dosage intake ,your doc will let you know but your case diff sounds like accutane is the best option.Honestly youve used more than necc creams are just not gonna work for you.

Hi Bane,

I think its a good idea to talk to your doctor about accutane. I recently started accutane and I feel so much better. Its not because my acne is suddenly gone, but I feel like I'm finally on the path to clear skin. Antibiotics and topicals just werent cutting it for me anymore. Browse through the accutane logs and you'll get a glimpse into what to expect. Of course its different for everyone, but the most common side effects seem to be chapped lips, dry skin, headaches and sometimes joint pain. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. Right now my acne seems to be "under control" but definetely not gone. Inevitebly, however, when I make app's with my docs, the acne seems to improve when I go, thus they never see my acne at its worst. Suppose I should take pics to show them.

Lemme ask you this... Is Accutane a "last ditch effort" treatment, or can a patient simply walk into a doc's office and say "I want it" and expect to get it? I am just wondering if my doc will want me to try yet another this-or-that anti or yet another this-or-that cream. Perhaps, based on my nine years of treatment with varying levels of success, the doc will be more receptive to my discussing Accutane?

One final volley of questions. I do not lead the ideal lifestyle for an acne sufferer, in fact I probably lead the worst. I spend 8-12 hours a day hiking through the desert with a lot of equipment and gear on. I get sun all day and I sweat all day. I usually wear hats during the summer and ski masks during the winter (I work nights during the winter). All this combines to make more irritation, more oily skin, more sun exposure...

The only side effect I am worried about with Accutane is joint pain because it sounds like it might become serious enough to affect my job performance. I guess these are things I can discuss with the doc. Maybe part of the reason the other treatments are not working is because my daily life is so much of an exacerbator.

I think you are a perfect candidate for accutane. When you go to your doctors office, go prepared with a list of all the topicals and antibiotics you have tried. I dont think you will have much of a problem getting it, but be firm if he tries to persuade you to try something else. Accutane is not only for severe acne, but acne that is persistant and has not responded well to standard treatment. I fall into the second category and I didnt have a hard time getting it.

Most accutane users are able to quell the joint pain by taking odorless fish oil supplements. I've been taking them since starting my course and no problems*knock wood*. If you are outdoors a lot, you MUST wear lots of sunscreen. Accutane will make you very sun sensitive.

If I didnt answer all of your questions, keep asking because there are a lot of knowledgable people on these boards.

Thanks again. I actually take fish oil (salmon liver oil) daily anyway, along with flaxseed oil, and an avocado. Don't know why the oil helps with the joint pain associated with treatment, but it does other things for me that I like, like keeping me healthy. You guys on Accutane should continue with the Omega3's after the Accutane treatment is done. Your circulatory systems will thank you :) Is anyone using glucosamine and chondroitin? Those might help too, my knees would be a mess without them.

Next avail app't with the derm is August. But I'm on the cancellation list so we'll see. In the meantime I'll be trying to get the records from my previous doctors, may be a real time consumer. I'm not even sure I want to see all of the stuff I've been on over the years, I've forgotten so much of it.

31 year old female whose skin has gotten worse as i've gotten older. I went on Accutane about 2 years ago and it was great - while i was on it, however 6 months later things started to go back to the way it was originally, the cysts started to reapper and instead of only on my face my acne started to spread down my body.

At the moment i'm glad to say i do not have any "new" spots, have quite a few red marks but hoping they will go in time and i havent had cysts or pimples in a while - hoping i'm not going to jinx myself now.

I went to see a quack who performed allergy testing on me - last resort didnt have much faith but thought i'd give it a go, tried everything else. He told me that i shouldn't be eating - apples (loved cider), nuts (ate loads), gin (favourite drink), diet coke, spray deodorant, pineapple and to avoid rain water on my face. I have given these up along with cutting down on all fruit (too much acid) and any vegetables containing lycopene (red colour) apparantly so and so far its working.

I do not believe that acne is diet related but some these few changes in my diet helped me loads. My reservations about accutane are not related to the side affects as the only thing that really bothered me was dry lips, my reservations are however in the fact that you really put so much faith in the fact that this is going to be a "miracle cure" for you and it can be a huge come down when the spots start to reappear. It works for some and i hope if this is the route that you intend to take that it works for you.

29 yrs old, male, have had acne for more than half my life now. Mostly facial, occassional back and shoulders, lately (due to sweating in the summer heat I think) severe, severe nodule acne on my back and shoulders. Mostly cystic on my face, although what I am on now (two topicals and an antibiotic) seems to help a little. Looks like my acne has once again adjusted to the medications and I have to try another antibiotic to keep things in check. I've been under treatment for almost nine years now. My skin was perfectly clear for the first few months after my very first visit to the derm, ever since then the acne appears to improve but never completely go away.

Within *minutes* of washing my face, it shines like the full moon. The acne is bad enough, but I'd give damn near anything to get rid of the oily skin.

I am facing my 30th birthday and am frankly sick and tired of dealing with this problem.

Am wondering if I should approach my derm about Accutane the next time I see him.

The medications I am on now seem to slow the healing. Even when I don't "pick" at my acne, and it heals on its own, the red marks stay for up to three months. Otherwise, even if the cysts don't fully form and turn into giant red planets on my face, they hurt. They hurt like hell. And then there's the oil...

I know my story is not atypical by any stretch of the imagination, and I know that each of you understands what I am going through. But it feels good to vent.

I do not remember what it is like to face life with clear skin. I want my acne gone, forever.

Is Accutane my answer, or do I just get to keep trying new drugs and creams for the rest of my life? I've tried Proactive, I've tried the Vitamin B, I've tried every pill and cream the various doctors have prescribed over the years. Acne still ultimetely wins. Is there a solution?

I had moderate acne for 6 yrs and finally went on accutane. I was sick of having greasy skin and I wanted to eliminate the acne once and for all. I was totally clear with no zits for most of the 5 month treatment and for 3 months after. I just had a breakout and went on differin gel, antibiotics, doctor prescribed 50 IU vitamin a, and a new vitamin folic acid pill. Everything came from my derm and I hope that the acne stays gone for good. I would be open to going back on accutane again if my face gets oily again. Thats the weird thing, my skin is not oily at all and I had a beakout.