Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok so heres the lowdown, if u feel like reading. Basically I gave up on life towards the end of November 05. My acne got so severe that it made me quit my jobs, drop outta college, and quit my social life literally.(last time I went out was in November to see SAW II) Basically the only time Ive been out of my house has been at night when its pitch dark to go run in an empty park where no ones around and 2am Walgreens trips to pick up vitamins and thats it. But thankfully my skin has gotten so much better with basically just redmarks and a few pimples. Nothing like it was before with the acne conglobata shit with nodules and cysts and pustules all over my face.

So basically now I have decided to start my life again and I've registered to take some summer college classes which start June 5. But I keep freaking out and i'm thinking like what if i go and theres like no one with any signs of acne and everyone has clear perfect skin and then I'm stuck in this bright lit classroom with all my redmarks clearly being seen. And then I'm like what if my acne starts to explode again and it just keeps getting worse and if I see some people from highschool theyre like wtf happened to ur face?? cuz my face is no where near perfect like in high school but nothing like it used to be when my face was covered in shit.

I'm just really confused cuz i seriously havent had any interaction with teenagers in the past six months so I dont even exactly remember what the majority of their faces actually look like close up. Cuz all i see are these perfect skinned people on tv and magazines and I'm just paranoid that everybody has clear skin and that I'm gonna be the only freak in the class.

I know this sounds lame but I just need some advice on what to expect cuz I keep on freakin out on whats it gonna feel like out there again. i need to know the reality. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

well it won't be as bad as you think. I went through a similar spell about 2 years ago. I only went out a few sunday mornings in my hometown when there weren't people about. If ever I needed clothes or anything, I'd travel about 50 miles out of town so that I wouldn't bump into anyone I knew. I remember once, when my skin had got a little bit better, but nothing spectacular, I went up town after work to get a CD and I really did feel on edge and nervous. Unfortunately it does seem as though everyone on the street does have great skin, but as your skin gets better you'll feel less bad. Its not ideal to stay a hermit with acne, but it just feels the easiest thing to do. Let us know how you get on

wow. To be quite honest, if you really haven't been out of the house since November you need help. I can understand being withdrawn and introverted, but if you've gone as extreme as it sounds you have issues which need to be dealt with. Going out in public is a good first step; the second is seeing a doctor.

Hey,

I started tane start of Nov for mild acne and it made things worse, so Ive become a bit of a reculse aswell in the last months. But now its all started to pick up again slighty, I totally know how you feel mate even though our situations are slightly different, I'll hopefully be starting college again nxt september so it will be a fresh start for me and hopefully I can put acne behide me. So good luck with it all mate, dont worry too much. Just draw a line under all the shite youve been through, 'dust yourself off and try again'. Good luck :D

dude, that must be really hard. The only thing I can think of is to ease urself out slowly instead of heading straight back out into the world. Maybe go visit a friend for a few hours or go to the supermarket. Just little trips out might make it seem less kind of pressurised.

its always easier thsn you think it will be. some days we dont want to be seen by anyone and i know how you feel but fact is that nothing will happen to you different than if you had no acne at all.

There were times I had to go to class or work with quarter sized cyst things oozing or bleeding...and it sucked!!!! The only thing that got me through was to think about how this day would be over, and then I'm outta sight. I guess that would be taking it day by day, just telling yourself that you have to get through the day no matter what. Try to get really into whatever you are doing or studying so you won't think about your skin. And hell, even though it's mean, if it makes you feel better to recognize that other people in your class have acne and think about them going through the same thing, by all means, do it at this point.

how did you manage doing this with family and friends?

good luck, but i worry thatif your acne goes bad again you are going to hide again.

its crazy, that is not a way to live.

imok, you wouldnt happen to be going to OCC?? Orange Coast College?

Or IVC?

i live in OC as well and also i am going to be taking summer courses at OCC starting june 5

man, that definitely must have been hard for you...i think it may be a little hard to get used to in the beginning...going into public for the first time in 6 months will take a little adjusting...but once youre out there, youll be okay! you may even like it, and see how much youve missed in the past few months. i think youre really brave for making this decision and attempting to not let acne have the control its been having. good luck! :D

No need to crucify the guy. For people who had to deal with severe acne, it isn't easy to walk around around in public and pretend like everything is normal. At least, he's getting back out there again. Good luck.

wow. To be quite honest, if you really haven't been out of the house since November you need help. I can understand being withdrawn and introverted, but if you've gone as extreme as it sounds you have issues which need to be dealt with. Going out in public is a good first step; the second is seeing a doctor.

u obviously haven't had severe acne or dont know what acne conglobata is. I mean look up severe acne on google and u might have an idea of how bad my acne got. I had connected cysts under my skin and when I would bend over I could literally feel the extra weight hanging over on my face, it iotched like a bitch, and it stung like a bitch. I felt like killing myself and ending it all but I knew I could beat this disease and i pretty much have. I mean I lived all my highschool years with mild acne and developed a good image of myself as a good looking guy who had a great personality(not trying to sound conceited) then as soon as college started my face exploded with shit and I couldnt take it anymore cuz it was just gettin worse.

I'm not like a lot of people on this site who complain about "O No I have a zit on my forehead and I have to go to a party" I wouldnt give a fuck if I had 5 zits on my forehead for the rest of my life it wouldnt stop me from doing anything, I would prefer that over what hell I went through for 6 months. I just have lots of redmarks now but theyre healing. Seriously the ppl with mild acne have nothing to worry about it could be a ton worse.

I just dont want to waste my summer and my chance to build up some college credits, It's just uncomfortable going out after all this time. Thanx neways for the advice guys I really appreciate it...

Good luck, and know that we are all flawed in some way. Most people are too wrapped up in their own self doubts to be worried about your acne.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

I suffer from social anxiety, makes life really hard sometimes. It sounds like you were in a pretty dark place. I'll just say that you shouldn't expect too much of yourself, take it slow.

Sometimes you'll get that feeling where you think you could take the world on, but i can't stress how important it is to ease off. When the feeling wears off, you can tend to take a huge step back.

I've recently started back at University after a similar situation to yours, i went in a tad hastily. I'm coping, but sometimes i have to physically force myself to go to the fluorescent lit lecture theatre. Whoever invented those fucking fluorescent lights seriously never had acne.

Congrats on the big step though, PM me if you want to chat to someone who's been through it. :D

James.