Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jamesjoyce

Accutane & Sebum Plugs

Did accutane reduce or eliminate those yellow sebum plugs you get in your nose?

I think so yes. It got rid of my sebaceous hyperplasia pretty nicely.

Hi,

What is sebaceous hyperplasia ?

Its like tiny whiteheads that never, EVER go away. They aren't a pimple but some kind of enlarged sweat gland. Elderly people get them a lot. If you google the term, you'll see.

Anyway, Accutane got rid of mine.

Hi,

What is sebaceous hyperplasia ?

Its like tiny whiteheads that never, EVER go away. They aren't a pimple but some kind of enlarged sweat gland. Elderly people get them a lot. If you google the term, you'll see.

Anyway, Accutane got rid of mine.

I've been wondering if I have this. It doesn't look all that much like the pics I've seen, but I think that's just because I'm much younger. I've had two larger areas that are inflammed, often break out in an oil outpour, and never go away and it's been a few years. I just got on accutane. How long did you have yours and how long did it take for them to go away. I've been told by two derms that it is really 1) a scar (even though I have no other scars) 2) a large cyst 3) a flat wart

1 WEEK:

My face has cleared up nicely! A bit dry with some scaly red spots. The sebum plugs have gone from my nose. Now the pores are still the same size and look like perfect little round icepick scars. I think they will close up . . .

I figured out why biore strips never seem to work for more than a few days. They only were capturing half the sebum plug. The accutane makes the cells less sticky (to the sides of the pore). When I used the strips now the sebum plugs are much longer. Like millimeters!

UPDATE:

I JUST SAW MY DERM AND GOT ACCUTANE PRESCRIBED! 30 MG/4 TIMES A DAY (I'M 185 POUNDS). SEEMS LIKE A LOT, NO?

ANY ADVICE FOR A FIRST TIMER?

Yes, that sounds too much. How does your acne look like?

2 WEEKS:

Scaliness has subsided. Face very dry with white flakes. I love it though. I actually looked at myself in the mirror with the light on!!!

Pores not as tight last few days. May have to get fraxel when all this is done.

Sebum plugs came back. Exfoliated them with St. Ives scrub.

I wish I did Accutane years ago. I actually go to sleep without worrying about waking up with a bunch of new acne. Isotretinoin is a godsend!!

3 WEEKS:

Nose sebum plugs came back. Not like before accutane. Much more granular. Exfoliated away easier though. They get bad after about a week.

Some new pimples: 1-forehead, 3-cheeks, 3-neck.

Now that my face is dry topicals like Benzomycin actually work. I have to be careful though, sometimes it they overkill and turn a red pimple into a large whitehead.?

Hi James

It's good to read your progress with this. Before Accutane was sebum plugs a problem every day? As in you would exfoliate and then they would come back again fast - the same day?

Would you say Accutane has dried them up somewhat and made them more managable?

Kevin

It was a weekly problem i guess. i used a harsh exfoliating apricot scrub by st. ives, in combination with biore strips. The plugs came back in 2-3 days, but didn't have to get exfoliated for maybe 5-6 days.

the accutane definately makes them more maneageable. a lot more come out with the biore strips. but i should stop using them since the dead skin layer also comes off in irregular places sometimes.

actually the accutane kind of made it "worse" for now. the skin mitosis has been accelerated so they are coming up faster and in new places like the chest and back. i never plugs or dry skin there before, but i do now . . .

1 MONTH:

Dose change to 80 mg (40mg in morning, 40 mg at night).

I was pleasantly suprised with this. I expected to have to fight for an increase, but the doctor came right in and the first thing he said was "we're uping your dose to 80 mg."

My face was really red at the appt. I admitted to him I used some left over retin-a to try and speed things up. I think he's heard this before. He just reminded me to let the drug run it's course over the months.

I also switched to Amnesteem. Even though Sotret is generic it's like $30 more of a copay with my insurance. I found out that every insurance has a prefered brand of accutane which is cheapest. Something to check-out with your insurance carrier!

Also went to Walmart to get it filled. Even with insurance I just don't feel right going to Duane Reade. Their pre-insurance cost was $675. For the same dose at Walmart it was $237 (even cheaper than CostCo). I swear some pharmacies RIP-OFF insurance companies.

Still have half a dozen or so zits but they clear up in 3-4 now instead of 3-4 weeks.