Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay so I had my derm appointment on Saturday. My skin looked pretty gross. I had hundreds of whiteheads, a bunch of angry pustules and about 5 big cysts (I was't sure how many pustules were actually cysts).......

My derm was suprised I'd gotten this bad. I blamed it on the heat, but I really have been sans acne regimen for the past three months (he doesn't have to know this). So he says antibiotics aren't the way to go for me (he thinks I'm on erythromycin), and asks if I'd ever heard of a vitamin pill used to treat acne. I was all excited thinking he was gonna say Accutane.......total fakeout.....it's this shit called Nicomide (nicotinimide, copper, zinc, and folic acid).

Then he say he wants to try Tazorac and Benzaclin instead of retin-a micro and Duac......

I said what about Accutane? He replied....."I'm not against it, I just think your acne isn't that severe, it's only moderate acne, and I think we can control it without Accutane, I'm not giving you any more antiboitics though, since you aren't responding to this one and have too many allergies"

I ask him about the oil and he says tazorac is a strong retinoid and will stop the oil. :naughty:

Only cis-13-retinoic acid can reduce sebum production, not trans-retinoic acid, or tazarotene or ant other retinoid besides a cis-retinoic acid.........I tell him this and he askes me where I read it........so now I have to go bring him a bunch of studies (that he should have read himeslf given that he's a derm) that only the cis retinoic acids reduce sebum production........ :wall:

He said my acne is becoming cystic and feels my face......he said wow you got about 9 cysts......He goes and gets a shot full of cortisone solution and proceeds to inject 9 cysts.........nine cortisone injections..........and no Accutune yet???

He wants to see me in three weeks to see if my new regimen is working........Three weeks is way too short of a time for any retinoid to work......Benzaclin is almost the same as Duac, and that didn't work too well, so I guess he counting on this B12 stuff to cure my cystic acne........in three weeks.....or he just wants to try something else before he finally gives in......

I woke up this morning with 4 brand new cysts.....they were whiteheads that were swelling up over the past weekend.......now they are like little rocks under my skin.....nice......

This is so frustrating.........I just want my skin to be clear damnit.....I'd settle for redmarks or something I could cover with makeup......but I can't cover these cysts....they stick out too much..........

i'm sorry to hear that, honey! i know it must be hard.

you know what? it ain't over when the fat woman sings muahahaha

go to different derms, i think it all depends on the derm you go to. you can tell your derms that you've tried everything except accutane.

go to different derms, i think it all depends on the derm you go to. you can tell your derms that you've tried everything except accutane.

It's gonna take me like 3 months to see a new derm..........

It's gonna take me like 3 months to see a new derm..........

i don't understand... why 3 months?

start making those appointments.

meanwhile... i suggest you use dove sensetive bar soap instead of the original one.

Do you have any evidence of permanent scaring? I'm not hoping you do, but it could come in handy when your pushing for acutane. Scaring is one of the criteria over here in been allowed to get accutane without trialing topicals for 6 months.

That sucks, when you go back in 3 weeks why don't you bring up accutane then and tell him how you feel it is the only thing left now that will really work for you and you're not to keen on continuely taking antibiotics etc :)

I think thats wrong, if your developing cystic acne you should be on it straight away. I went on acctuane with mild acne, maybe not the best thing to do but... thats what happened. So make sure he knows that you do your research and you know of a lot of ppl who have had it for mild acne. If not change your derms maybe.

I had 3-4 tiny white heads with little imflammation and i got myself accutane,try and go to some other derm,i doubt anything else will work considering the situation you are in,you are in severe acne your doc just sounds like an idiot experimenting-the only thing is when your on accutane you have to be monitored for 6 months abd be mentally stable to go through the phase.Actually I just noticed your a female so maybe he wants to make sure until its the last resort,but now it does seem like it.

lab girl i emailed you and told you about the site where i got my medication at. theres no need for you to suffer. idiot derms . if anythign we are more qualified then them and should become derms ourselves. it takes a suferer to know how to treat skin. not some guy who hasn't had a pimple in his life

lab girl i emailed you and told you about the site where i got my medication at. theres no need for you to suffer. idiot derms . if anythign we are more qualified then them and should become derms ourselves. it takes a suferer to know how to treat skin. not some guy who hasn't had a pimple in his life

NO STOP RIGHT NOW, ACNE.ORG DOES NOT CONDONE PRESCRIPTION USE OF DRUGS WITHOUT DOCTOR APPROVAL. /lecture

NO STOP RIGHT NOW, ACNE.ORG DOES NOT CONDONE PRESCRIPTION USE OF DRUGS WITHOUT DOCTOR APPROVAL. /lecture

Bullshit, if someones suffering fuck doctors advise, the poor girl clearly sounds at her witts end, and the doctor still wants to give her a buncha crap to try? and by your description im stunned that you didn't get tane, i've read some posts about people who've had a couple of whiteheads and got pescribed it :shock: best thing to do is to try and find a female derm, their Alot more understanding and caring towards ones feelings, i have a derm appointment on the 8th, and i was kinda hoping to get tane, but all ive got is a few whiteheads and maybe a dying papule:( to i guess no tane for me

i see a wannabe moderator in the making.

im voting for you in 2010! :clap:

hey gurl...

i feel so bad for wat u have to go thru,ur derm sounds like a jerk jus like my 1st derm...i think u need to get a new one...and abt buying tane online thats the most stupidest think ive heard of......obviously ur goin thru alot of shit and im not saying u dont need tane but believe me with the shit ppl r goin thru wid tane....ud shd get it on prescription.

if things r really getting bad i dont think any doc will deny u of tane

Do you have any evidence of permanent scaring? I'm not hoping you do, but it could come in handy when your pushing for acutane. Scaring is one of the criteria over here in been allowed to get accutane without trialing topicals for 6 months.

Yeah, I've got a huge boxcar scar on my forehead, and I have some shallow rolling scars on my cheeks (they aren't as visible after retin-a and I can't see them in the morning only later in the day). My derms knows I'm scarring, but he says it's only mild scarring........

I think he gave me an appoointment in three weeks because he might want to let me try Accutane then. Three weeks is not enough time for a new regimen to work. I think he just gavce me that other crap because he wanted to make it seem like he tried something else first..........

u should have backhanded that derm and ROARED ... lol no but seriously lots of derms are like that and won't listen to u cuz they think they're god

go to another derm...accutane is your saviour and u have to try to get it.....some doctors are against it..but nothing else works...im 26 now and i wasted a lot of freekin years on everything else until accutane..

go to another derm...accutane is your saviour and u have to try to get it.....some doctors are against it..but nothing else works...im 26 now and i wasted a lot of freekin years on everything else until accutane..

I have an appointment for another derm but it's not until July 12th. I called around and that was the soonest one couls get me in. I made the appt last month. Most of the derms in my area have a 3 month waiting peroid. And I actually heard through a pretty reliable source that this one is more interested in selling his own products and doing laser and photodynamic therapy, microdermabrasion and peels than in prescribing treatments that actually work.....I think my derm may be a better option....If I make another appointment with a different derm I'm looking at mid-August or early September......I can't go the entire summer like this........most of the new acne I'm getting is nodular or cystic. And I know from experience that this shit scars........

My derm did an odd thing on Saturday......right before I left he asked me if I was single......

Do NOT take accutane just by-yourself,this is a very serious drug with serious side effects if not monitered. You sound like you need accutane but this guy is just playing around it seems,insist accutane if he doesnt just tell him i dont want to treat with you anymore,go to another doc insist for accutane your case sounds like your a candidate for accutane.And pls again dont make the mistake of just taking accutane by yourself,you need to make liver tests-have right dosage for right time according to your body weight its not a play thing you can end up seriously damaging yourself and if you become pregnant you may have seriously deformed babies,so please be careful and your accutane course will most likely be around 5/6 months you have to be mentally prepared.

wtf? Im sorry about that, your derm is freakin retarded, i'm sorry but when you have cysts it's more then moderate imo

fuck that after all that wait to get your hopes screwed :doh:

And tazorac stopping the oil HAHA I tried both strengths and it made my skin even more oily

sorry LabGirl =( wish I could help

My derm did an odd thing on Saturday......right before I left he asked me if I was single......

Sounds like he was considering Accutane, not trying to hit on you, it's a common question they ask mature females when trying to determine your pregnancy risk.

Sounds like he was considering Accutane, not trying to hit on you, it's a common question they ask mature females when trying to determine your pregnancy risk.

nah don't they think he wouldve asked before she talked to her about that? plus he didn't even think she was right for accutane

so im thinking he was trying to hit on her.

Do NOT take accutane just by-yourself,this is a very serious drug with serious side effects if not monitered. You sound like you need accutane but this guy is just playing around it seems,insist accutane if he doesnt just tell him i dont want to treat with you anymore,go to another doc insist for accutane your case sounds like your a candidate for accutane.And pls again dont make the mistake of just taking accutane by yourself,you need to make liver tests-have right dosage for right time according to your body weight its not a play thing you can end up seriously damaging yourself and if you become pregnant you may have seriously deformed babies,so please be careful and your accutane course will most likely be around 5/6 months you have to be mentally prepared.

I know better then that hun........I'd like to be warned before I turn yellow if and when my liver decides to crap out on me............It's been suggested to me before. I can't afford it and plus I kinda like my liver (we've had a good 24 years together...he's forgiven me for all the drugs I did back when and for the occasional beer binge or glass of wine).... I also wouldn't want to have a baby born with two heads (I saw it on Discovery Health)...........Buying it online is out of the question...........

nah don't they think he wouldve asked before she talked to her about that? plus he didn't even think she was right for accutane

so im thinking he was trying to hit on her.

I'm on the fence about that one. He's around my age....maybe like 5 or 6 years older, and he lives by me. I've seen him at the grocery store and gym before. I don't know if he was attempting to hit on me. Who would hit on someone with nodulocystic acne or acne conglobata, unless they had a weird fetish?? Maybe he does have a fetish....Ewwww....

Or maybe he was just gauging my pregnacy risk in the hope of prescribing Accutane next month........It was just weird of him to ask like that, just out of the blue......It was more like "hey do you have a boyfriend?".....not "are you in a sexual relatonship with anyone right now?"

So he says antibiotics are the way to go for me

I had the same exact issue last year. Same statement ( maybe different tone of voice) word for word. I was put on Doxycycline 100mg. It's like, they know you're suffering and decide to pussyfoot with your health. Hello? With all the research and technology the doctors have in their posession, you'd think they can prescribe a solution a bit more aggressive? :wall:

Oh, the frustration. :wall:

I had the same exact issue last year. Same statement ( maybe different tone of voice) word for word. I was put on Doxycycline 100mg. It's like, they know you're suffering and decide to pussyfoot with your health. Hello? With all the research and technology the doctors have in their posession, you'd think they can prescribe a solution a bit more aggressive? :wall:

Whoops that was actually supposed to say "he says antibiotics aren't the way to go for me" ....I type way to fast.......he knows where I stand on oral antiboitics and I'm suprised he even believed that I was taking the erythromycin (I wasn't....never even filled the Rx).

I really think he is going to prescribe it......maybe it's for the best that I wait a little longer.....I mean Summer only comes once a year here, and I want to go to the beach and party a little more while I can. Once I get the ok it's another 1-2 months (depending on where I am on my cycle) before I can start anyway......so what's another three weeks........

Whoops that was actually supposed to say "he says antibiotics aren't the way to go for me" ....I type way to fast.......he knows where I stand on oral antiboitics and I'm suprised he even believed that I was taking the erythromycin (I wasn't....never even filled the Rx).

I really think he is going to prescribe it......maybe it's for the best that I wait a little longer.....I mean Summer only comes once a year here, and I want to go to the beach and party a little more while I can. Once I get the ok it's another 1-2 months (depending on where I am on my cycle) before I can start anyway......so what's another three weeks........

Oh ok. So, I guess that clears that up. (no pun intended?) ;)