Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LabGirl81

I got nine cortisone shots

In my experience topicals are of little effect in preventing cystic acne. Don't know what your derm is doing and by the sounds of it either does he. I would urgently seek another derm.

I just made an appointment for this Saturday to get a few more cysts injected. They are painful and huge, and some of them are connected together with little channels under my skin...I have this huge thing on my face that's really like 4 smaller cysts interconnected to make what looks like one big one, but is really sevral nodules stuck together (if that makes any sense)......plus I have this huge one on my cheek that's like the size of a dime and hard as a rock and painful......and some smaller nodule things that just piss me off..........And the one in between my eyes hasn't went down yet and is still hard and painful (but it's still under my skin....I'm praying it never pops up).........

My lymph nodes in my neck are swelling up again.....stupid bacteria...........

I'm curious, do you really believe that injecting the cysts with cortisone is going to make them disappear?....

i've had the same cyst injected about 2 times by one derm, and the second derm, at my request, drained it, and it shrunk down to an indentation, on my forehead, but (when that part used to be clear)... it was always either red or purple, but still noticable.

I'm curious, do you really believe that injecting the cysts with cortisone is going to make them disappear?....

i've had the same cyst injected about 2 times by one derm, and the second derm, at my request, drained it, and it shrunk down to an indentation, on my forehead, but (when that part used to be clear)... it was always either red or purple, but still noticable.

I've had most of mine go down. I'm kinda new to cystic acne, or at least getting cortisone injections anyway. I had nine injected on Saturday and within 48 hours most of them were flat, and only one left a dent. I think the longer I leave them there the worse my chances are for scarring. If a cyst pops up and is injected withing a week of it's appearence it leaves behing a tiny redmark.....the one that left the dent was there for about 6 weeks........I may have to have the one in between my eyes injected again.........

I'm going to get a few more injected this Saturday.......these are relatively new ones......the whiteheads have been there for months but the cysts under them are only a few days old.....if I catch them quick I may avoid some scars.........

I got 9 also! I cried that day, not in front of the derm, but when i got in that car, i cried. It was so painful. 9 in my face :(

Can you get accutane from a GP instead of a derm in the U.S.? I got mine from a GP in Canada, which is what a lot of people here have to do because of the insane waiting lists for derms (my derm is booking 6 months in advance). I think it is harder to get accutane in the U.S. though because of issues with lawsuits.

Call it older and wiser or whatever but you shouldn't have to tolerate this. A little scarring is a little too much!!!!!!! Cystic acne should be treated appropriately and quickly. It would be a different story if your derm had to walk about with cysts or their remnents. I take it he/she has already tried oral antibiotics for a decent period of time? Most derms like to try this before prescribing tane. Your derms inaction I find quite staggering and I would definetly consider changing.

Call it older and wiser or whatever but you shouldn't have to tolerate this. A little scarring is a little too much!!!!!!! Cystic acne should be treated appropriately and quickly. It would be a different story if your derm had to walk about with cysts or their remnents. I take it he/she has already tried oral antibiotics for a decent period of time? Most derms like to try this before prescribing tane. Your derms inaction I find quite staggering and I would definetly consider changing.

The reason it's so hard for me to get Accutane is because I've never taken oral antiboitics. I flat out refuse to. The last time I took any antiboitic was about 6 or 7 years ago. My derm actually tried to prescribe them to me pretty much ever since I walked in there last summer. He said my acne was cystic and scarring and I needed them. I told him absolutely not for about 6 months. Then when I needed a few injections I caved and let him prescribe me erythromycin, since he said that we need toi try a few antiboitics before I can try Accutane. I lied and told him I'd take them, but I never actually filled the prescription. He think's I'm taking them and just not responding to it, and that the bacteria has become resistant (it's pretty easy for bacteria to become resistant to macrolides).

It's hard to get tane as a female who has never even tried antiboitics first........

My acne is so inflammatory that my lymph nodes in my head and neck are permanently palpable and possibly scarred. When my breakouts are really bad they swell up and become tender....leading me to believe that my glands may eventually become infected.........I need to take care of this soon......

My acne is so inflammatory that my lymph nodes in my head and neck are permanently palpable and possibly scarred. When my breakouts are really bad they swell up and become tender....leading me to believe that my glands may eventually become infected.........I need to take care of this soon......

My lymph nodes have also been permanently swollen since I've had severe cysts. Actually they got really swollen when I got mono 2 years ago, and the severity of my cysts increased....my lymph nodes never went back down. I didn't know if this was common or if it was just me.

My lymph nodes have also been permanently swollen since I've had severe cysts. Actually they got really swollen when I got mono 2 years ago, and the severity of my cysts increased....my lymph nodes never went back down. I didn't know if this was common or if it was just me.

That's actually normal after mono. I have a few in my neck that have been palpable sine I was three years old. Not sure if it was the chronic lymes or the mono (had both in early childhood), but since I've had acne it seems that even the non-palpable ones swell and remain palpable indefinately...... and when I have a breakout on one side of my face, my nlyph nodes on that side become tender and swollen...

Palpable lymph nodes are normal if you have low body fat.......swollen and tender ones are a sign of infection.....

Not sure about the lying bit but i guess it is with good intent and there is a reason. In fairness to your derm various antibiotics is the usual course before accutane. Sounds like he is exausting this avenue first and should offer tane soon. If he doesn't i would change derms as having to get injections in your face is not a good situation. I would find it hard to deal with all those cysts and you have my utmost respect for doing that. You shouldn't have to suffer like this.

nine?? wow! I hope he gives you accutane in 3 weeks. scars are no fun.

I want accutane, but I will never get it. I have a history of depression. :(

I just got 10 more yesterday......not all 10 were actual nodes/cysts. About 5 were actual nodulocystic lesions.....the rest were just angry pustules/papules......I went in there looking like Freddy Kruger.....no lie.....the people in the waiting room just stared at me the entire 20 minutes I was waiting (my fault.....I was late)....

I looked like I had 5 huge purple monsters on my face and a bunch of hideous redmarks and bumps.......

Holy shit a few of them really hurt...........I waited until most of them stopped bleeding and went back into the waiting room to give my copay.......They swell up like twice their size right after the injectios and some of them were still bleeding.......I think I scared two litte girls that were in the waiting room......

I woke up the next morning at my boyfriend's house and he was like....."woah....all your pimples are gone....how'd they go away so fast???"

I guess it really does make them flatten out......But I noticed something.....right after he injects one....another one grown right next to it........I have three new ones growning right next to ones he injected....

So this cortisone thing only gets me one or two days of clarity....I don't mean totally clear....I just mean I can cover the marks with makeup (no huge bumps).......

Si I go back in two weeks to see how my new meds are working........

I seriously don't understand this LabGirl. I have had a total of 4 derms, mostly changed because of area convenience and ALL of them have subjected to Accutane as a first course of treatment WITHOUT the antibiotics or other previous treatment and my acne isn't even cystic! Just common postules and whiteheads....

I'm curious to know why did you refuse the antibiotics. I started a 2nd course because I scar easily. My first course cleared me like no tommorrow for 6 glorious years....No washing, no oil, no mess--until suddenly I had a new onset of breakouts which months into it, I'm still trying to find the clear reason as to why. I think it is due to my irregularities in my menstrual cycle since I've never been regular to this day at 22 so I've recently been tested for PCOS....Still waiting on those results...

Since I'm a chicken for scarring and I've been recently breaking out on my back where I never did, I opted for the second course...but I could've avoided the Accutane now and the first time had I thought earlier and gotten on BC's. I was considering a combination of antibiotics and Yasmin to get regulated.

I seriously don't understand this LabGirl. I have had a total of 4 derms, mostly changed because of area convenience and ALL of them have subjected to Accutane as a first course of treatment WITHOUT the antibiotics or other previous treatment and my acne isn't even cystic! Just common postules and whiteheads....

I'm curious to know why did you refuse the antibiotics. I started a 2nd course because I scar easily. My first course cleared me like no tommorrow for 6 glorious years....No washing, no oil, no mess--until suddenly I had a new onset of breakouts which months into it, I'm still trying to find the clear reason as to why. I think it is due to my irregularities in my menstrual cycle since I've never been regular to this day at 22 so I've recently been tested for PCOS....Still waiting on those results...

Since I'm a chicken for scarring and I've been recently breaking out on my back where I never did, I opted for the second course...but I could've avoided the Accutane now and the first time had I thought earlier and gotten on BC's. I was considering a combination of antibiotics and Yasmin to get regulated.

I think my derm is just being conservative. I'm pretty sure I could get it if I went to a different derm. I just takes months to get an appointment. I have one on July 16th.......six weeks from now.......

I don't understand my derm.....The last time I was there and we talked about Accutane....he was like "I think we can get you to clear up without it....you only have moderate acne"....as if having nine cysts on your face is "moderate" acne.....maybe it is......but they scar..........and as far as I'm concerend any type of acne that is capeable of scarring.....even if you only have one or two cystic lesions at a time......should be treated as severe acne........

I never took antiboitics because I don't believe in using them to treat acne. The bacteria don't cause the acne......they cause the inflammation associated with it, but they do not directly cause the acne lesions.....Acne is a disease of the sebacelos follicles that occurs when skin cells block the sebacous follicles.....bacteria don't have much to do with it.....

Yes bacteria cause my cysts, and antiboitics will make them go away......but they don't prevent the blockage that causes the lesions in the first place....

It's true that I'd clear up using a topical retinoid and an oral antibiotic........My acne isn't that severe...it's locaized cystic not diffused cystic acne.....although at any given time there are several localized nodulocystic lesions......I get about 7-10 a week.......

I don't ever want to use antiboitics for my acne..... I'm allergic to cyclins, sulfa drugs, and cephlosporins.....so I have to be very careful as to what antiboitic I can allow my derm to prescribe to me.....Antiboitics have side effects.....they kill benificuial bacterial in our intestines and elsewhere...... I have no interest in having a six month long yeast infection........ even if it means clear skin.......and what do I do.....use an antiboitic until menapoause......I'm 24 and not going to grow out of acne any time soon.....

The only time I'd ever take an antiboitic for acne is if the infection backs up into my lymph nodes.....if I get infected lymph nodes rom acne (this is possible with cystic acne)......I will do a short course of a macrolide, but, only if I get a fever, and for no longer than a week.......

Off the pill my periods are actually really regular (painful as hell) but regular....

I've heard that insulin sensitizers can be really helpful in treating acne and other syptoms associated with PCOS.....