Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LabGirl81

I got nine cortisone shots

So saturday morining I went to me derm to try to finally get Accutane. My skin looked pretty gross. I had about 5 real cysts and a bunch of angry pustules (couldn't decide if they were cysts yet). My whole face and neck are covered in tiny whiteheads. My skin was so red and oily when I went in there and he was pretty suprised at how bad it had gotten (the last time I saw him I had only one cyst and a few pustules).....

He decided that my acne isn't bad enough for Accutane. I'm only scarring a little bit and he might be able to clear me without Accutane.... :wall:

He gave me a Rx for Taz, and Benzaclin, and some Vitamin pill called Nicomide....like those are even gonna make a difference.....I'm was on retin-a micro 0.10% and Duac (same as Benzaclin)......and I still got cysts......so how is this regimen any different........I'm so sick of slathering irritating creams all over my face that don't help......I'm sick of the oil skicl I have to wipe off every 30 minutes.......I just want Accutane......

So he decided I needed some cortisone injections........I got nine of them.....

So my cysts are almost gone.....a few might need more cortisone....they are still hard and painful......but smaller

I woke up this moring with 4 new cysts.......

Why am I not on Accutane yet?????

Oh man, I hear ya about the irritating creams and the oil that keeps coming back... I hate it. :wall: I don't understand. Why wont he give you Accutane?

I'd change dr. if I were you.

What'sup with your "Do-Nothing Regimen" ? If you care about your skin and want accutane, why don't you do anything about it?

What'sup with your "Do-Nothing Regimen" ? If you care about your skin and want accutane, why don't you do anything about it?

Because on my old regimen (retin-a micro 0.10%, duac gel and orthotricyclen) I wasn't really that clear. I'd still breakout around the placebo week of my pill, and as time went by the breakouts got worse and worse, and eventually cystic. And the oily skin is horrendusly oily..... But a few cysts a month and oily skin doesn't make you an Accutane candidate, but by doing nothing I have my moderate cystic acne back and it's be a lot easier to get Accutane this way, rather than an almost clear face with a few cysts.........If I do something about it how can I get Accutane?? My derm thinks I'm doing something about it. I'm supposed to be on Retin-a micro, Duac gel, OTC, and Erythromycin (never took it)........He think's I'm using all that stuff.......I know lying is wrong......but so is him preventing me from having clear skin because he doesn't want to do I-pledge paperwork.....

He does want to see me in three weeks to see how my updated regimen is going......so we'll see then.......

LQ: I do have an appointment with another derm but it's not until mid-July....changing doctors will mean having cystic acne all summer long.....I don't want to scar any more than I already am (I think those injections may have left some dents)..........

So are you gonna use the stuff he gave you this time, or stick it out a few more weeks?

I think I'm just going to wait it out. I doubt the stuff he gave me will do anything on my acne now. I woke up with another cyst. Three weeks is not nearly enough time to see results for a new retinoid, and the Benzacluin may work to a certain degree, but I don't want to settle for almost clear or just a few cysts. want to be clear. Totally clear. When my sister did her coruse of Accutane, her acne wasn't as bad as mine is now (that was 6 years ago). Now she hardly ever breaks out, and when she does it's nothing an OTC product can't fix. Her acne never came back the way it was before, and neither did her oil.

Knowing what I know about retinoids and the pathology of acne, I think the Accutane is by far the best way to treat my acne. So what if I only have moderate acne....... People get tane for acne that's way less severe then mine.

I'm not going to do anything over the next three weeks.......just my current non-regimen........

I feel for you.

You have a doctor who doesn't want to sign these gorms.

I'm in the UK we have a National Health Service which we pay through taxes. Therefore the system is kinda different.

I have mild acne and was referred to an NHS dermatologist and on ym first appointment he said Have Accutane, of course I refused as the side effects scared me.

It's strange how you're not allowed it :(

It stinks!

Lets hope he see's the light at your follow up appt and gets the accutane prescribed!

Good luck :)

You needed NINE cortisone shots and he still doesn't think it's bad enough? Good god, you need a new derm!

He said it's really not that bad. It's nodulocystic acne but it's only a moderate case, and my sacrring is only minimal and mostly superficial (aside for the big boxcar on my forehead, from last summer). I do have signs of acne conglobata, where my nodules actually coalesce (my derm actually pointed it out). Several of my cysts are actually connected with channels under my skin that can be felt but not actually seen. Last summer I didn't have nearly as many cysts and nodules, mainly pustules and papules.......

As far as I'm concenrned acne conglobata is severe acne even if it only covers 20% of my face (mainly on my cheeks)....it can scar severely....Any other derm would give me Accutane in a heartbeat.......I don't know why this guy is so ademnent that "we" can treat it without it...........

He swears that he's not against it, he just thinks I'm not that bad yet.....and wants to hold it as a last resort....and honestly if I did stick with my old regimen it wouldn't be even close to this bad (maybe only a few cysts a month and probably no acne conglobata). I wish I had picked a more liberal derm to begin with........

My next appointment is Wednsday June 21st at 5:45pm (my acne and scars always look worse later in the day)..........

Ughh, So he wants you to be severely scarred etc, and then give you accutane? Oh my gosh that's beyond the point Accutane is there to stop people with severe acne from scarring, I only had mild-mod and my derm offered me it for this purpose.

Can I askw hat you do for a living because you have a lot of knowledge on acne.

Ughh, So he wants you to be severely scarred etc, and then give you accutane? Oh my gosh that's beyond the point Accutane is there to stop people with severe acne from scarring, I only had mild-mod and my derm offered me it for this purpose.

I think he will prescribe it the next time I go in to see him. Why else would he have only given me 3 weeks to clear up. Most regimens can't clear cystic acne that fast.......I think he just wanted to make it look like he tried one last thing before the Accutane.........

On what I do for a living......I'm a Cosmetic Scientist. I currently make makeup for a living, but I used to make skin care products too.....I have a Master's degree in Cosmetic Science and I'm going for a PhD in Biochemistry in the fall........

Oh my gosh, That is amazing... I was considering going itno dermatology but i'ma lil squemish... but that career sounds so interesting. Do you enjoy the job? Do you benefit from the extra knowledge?

I need to choose my A-levels what kind of A-level would I need for this career?

Try Wais diet freeacnebook.com it seriously works......... try it, it won't hurt....

No thanks.......My acne isn't related to my diet..........I've tried the diet thing before......wiorks for some, and doesn't for others....I'm one of the others........

Girlfriend....I have a similar case to yours. Got all the topicals, pills, blah, no improvement. One week I have a lump the size of a quarter erupting from my cheek and making my eye swell. I asked his for tane, he said no still. I cried and said I can't deal with th ebullshit of getting needles jammed in my face all the time. So....cry and tell him its ruinin your life. And that shots hurt.

I hope your derm comes to his senses. I think doctors forget that acne is a big psychological issue sufferers have to deal with on a DAILY BASIS. Don't docs take an oath promising to treat patients like loved-ones before they go into practice? :mad:

I know you said you have another appointment scheduled with a second dermatologist coming up in July. Have you considered calling them and begging them to get a sooner appointment?

Back when I got my first cyst almost 10 years ago now, I had to wait two or three months to get in, and when the dermatologist saw me, he was furious that I had to wait that long to get in (and this was for one cyst). He told me that (atleast in their office) they always have appintments set aside for people who do need to get in quickly, and after I left, he chewed out his office staff. My point is this, call the other office, beg plead, do anything it takes to get in, especially if this other guy continues to do nothing. Tell them how bad it is, that you are worried about scaring. Worst case, show up at the office, let your face speak for itself. My guess is they would be able to find a way to get you in.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

This really angers me. We see people in here on Accutane for mild acne yet you can't get it! Defies logic IMO. 9 cortisone injections tends to suggest that someone has 9 cystic lesions, surely that warrants an Accutane course. :think:

Try Wais diet freeacnebook.com it seriously works......... try it, it won't hurt....

No thanks.......My acne isn't related to my diet..........I've tried the diet thing before......wiorks for some, and doesn't for others....I'm one of the others........

some people need to add heavy detoxification and antitoxants to their diet because people with acne can suffer from improper absorbtion of nutrients so they think diets dont effect them but its because their body can't process foods correctly.

I think if you want Accutane you should take it. You said your acne is scarring..even if it's ligth scarring it could get worse if you dont stop it.

I think he will prescribe it the next time I go in to see him. Why else would he have only given me 3 weeks to clear up. Most regimens can't clear cystic acne that fast.......I think he just wanted to make it look like he tried one last thing before the Accutane.........

On what I do for a living......I'm a Cosmetic Scientist. I currently make makeup for a living, but I used to make skin care products too.....I have a Master's degree in Cosmetic Science and I'm going for a PhD in Biochemistry in the fall........

Hey, thyis job sounds really interestin. Whata re the entry requirements to do this kinda job? Like A-levels.

What's an A-Level? I wouldn't know I dropped out of high school when I was 15, so I doubt I ever have a chance to take A-levels. I alwasy was interested in science (mainly chemistry and biology) so when I started college (university if your in the UK I think) I took a lot of science and math. My B.S. is in Chemical Engineering, but I didn't want to be an engineer so I stuck around for a M.S. in Chemistry.....more chemistry and math.........

There was very little math involved when I did my second graduate degree in Cosmetic Science a couple years ago.....mostly just stuff that was applicable to my job, like the science behind making emulsions and skincare and stuff.......

So I guess if you want a career like mine, concentrate on science classes, mostly chemistry and biology (and the math that accompanies them). I didn't need a M.S. or M.A. to do my job. I could have gotten away with a 4 year B.S. degree in Chemistry , Biochemistry or Biology.........that's what most of my co-workers have............

My derm thought I was a candidate for Accutane when I had one cyst, heh. Point being there's definitely a derm who would be willing to give you a Rx for it. Best of luck to you!