Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hiimrb

My acne/diet frustration.

I dont know, I am getting a little frustrated with this diet-acne coorolation...

Im a very active person, bodybuilding/nutrition is a very important aspect of my life.

Currently, I am testing giving up dairy to remove any "iodine-related" acne breakouts. This was hard enough... as skim milk, yogurt, and cottage cheese were a very big part of my diet. I've read that carbs could be a big negative factor in acne--there is absolutely no way I am cutting out oats from my diet. Old fashioned oatmeal is an amazing source of complex carbs and fiber... I eat over a cup a day. (Plus I'm addicted to the taste :D)

Another thing that bugs me is when people say "This breaks me out..." "That breaks me out..." If it takes over 2 weeks for the skin to respond to any internal changes (diet), how could anyone possibly link certain foods to breakouts? Unless the person specificially cut out a certain part of their diet, there are too many factors.

Bleh, the only acne I have left seems to be hormonal, residing only on my jawline/neck region... here is what im doing-

for the last 3+ months:

10g b5 powder form

60mg zinc

20,000 IU retinol vit A

1g lean green (green tea extract primarily for EGCG's)

4-6g fish oil

cleansing with purpose bar

100% aloe vera gel facemask at night

just started last week:

increasing my water intake to 1.5gal+/day

16oz carrot juice (about 65,000 IU beta-carotene)

REMOVED ALL DAIRY from my diet.. cheese/milk/etc

REMOVED MY MULTI-V (contained 150mcg iodine (100% RDV))

3 cups of green tea a day

I figure I could increase my variations in my diet with more than one factor... because more water DEFINITELY doesnt hurt, neither does green tea... I figure if I see any positive changes it could be due the carrot-juice or reduction in dairy.

I'll post back in a few weeks... and if somehow I become clear I'll re-introduce dairy and see if that has a factor on my skin.

Sorry for rambling on, I just needed to get all my thoughts out in one big post =D

Seems ok to me except too much Vit A is no good, you should get enough from carrots, and 1.5 GALLONS OF WATER???????? YOU CRAZY??? maybe 1.5 liters is OKAY.. You will flush out good stuff with water. Why would you want to take so many synthetic supplements anyway? I think nature inteded us to have maybe 70% of a daily supplement, I think overdosing on them will not do too much good. Green tea is good. Thats B5 stuff is dangeruous too.. I dont know. Wait till more people post replies to this. I dont know if they agree with me.

Seems ok to me except too much Vit A is no good, you should get enough from carrots, and 1.5 GALLONS OF WATER???????? YOU CRAZY??? maybe 1.5 liters is OKAY.. You will flush out good stuff with water. Why would you want to take so many synthetic supplements anyway? I think nature inteded us to have maybe 70% of a daily supplement, I think overdosing on them will not do too much good. Green tea is good. Thats B5 stuff is dangeruous too.. I dont know. Wait till more people post replies to this. I dont know if they agree with me.

what are you basing the 70%, b5, or any assertion on?

while that amount of water might seem excessive to a normal lifestyle, try doing a 15-minute HIIT session without drinking 1/2 a gallon of water. you lose half of that in sweat =P

I'm thinking of lowering my vitA intake to 10,000 IU... and currently the B5 has done too much good for me to cut it out just yet =p After 5months I'll slowly reduce it to a maintenance intake.

I dont know, I am getting a little frustrated with this diet-acne coorolation...

Im a very active person, bodybuilding/nutrition is a very important aspect of my life.

Currently, I am testing giving up dairy to remove any "iodine-related" acne breakouts. This was hard enough... as skim milk, yogurt, and cottage cheese were a very big part of my diet. I've read that carbs could be a big negative factor in acne--there is absolutely no way I am cutting out oats from my diet. Old fashioned oatmeal is an amazing source of complex carbs and fiber... I eat over a cup a day. (Plus I'm addicted to the taste :D)

Another thing that bugs me is when people say "This breaks me out..." "That breaks me out..." If it takes over 2 weeks for the skin to respond to any internal changes (diet), how could anyone possibly link certain foods to breakouts? Unless the person specificially cut out a certain part of their diet, there are too many factors.

Bleh, the only acne I have left seems to be hormonal, residing only on my jawline/neck region... here is what im doing-

for the last 3+ months:

10g b5 powder form

60mg zinc

20,000 IU retinol vit A

1g lean green (green tea extract primarily for EGCG's)

4-6g fish oil

cleansing with purpose bar

100% aloe vera gel facemask at night

just started last week:

increasing my water intake to 1.5gal+/day

16oz carrot juice (about 65,000 IU beta-carotene)

REMOVED ALL DAIRY from my diet.. cheese/milk/etc

REMOVED MY MULTI-V (contained 150mcg iodine (100% RDV))

3 cups of green tea a day

I figure I could increase my variations in my diet with more than one factor... because more water DEFINITELY doesnt hurt, neither does green tea... I figure if I see any positive changes it could be due the carrot-juice or reduction in dairy.

I'll post back in a few weeks... and if somehow I become clear I'll re-introduce dairy and see if that has a factor on my skin.

Sorry for rambling on, I just needed to get all my thoughts out in one big post =D

You didn't mention what your diet and training diet current consist of.

Of course you don't have to cut out Oats! In fact members that were following a gluten-free diet and also trying to build...would consume oats and brown rice as their grain carbohydrates. There's also other safe grains to consume if you ever do try to give up wheat thare more nutritious as well.

As for it taking 2 weeks for acne to develop....for certain types of acne it does. Probably cystic or nodular forms. Yet for blackheads, whiteheads, pustules and smaller pimples....it would take maybe 2-3 days or as long as 5 - 7 days. At least that's what I've gotten from my exeperiences as well as other members around here ;)

Take care.

When you lift heavy wieghts you release certain hormones which could be related with acne break outs some people say & also sweating which many people dont agree but me and a few others have seen this that sweating does aggrevate acne-specially inflammtion so its best to straight away after the workout cleanse your face with the foaming gel or the facial cleanser your using.I myself do weights but i never had acne cause of that or for the carbs or any protein supplements but i have read people.But there are people who have complained about this.I drink 1 litre or more skim milk everyday and its fine for me.

hiimrb I know what u mean. Trying to bodybuild and be acne free is not an easy task. When I was seriously bodybuilding, I had a huge intake of whole milk, white bread and many other high protein foods this had a serious effect on my skin.

Now when I try to eat the healthy stuff for my skin and try to get enough protein, it just doesnt work. Right now I've cut out all dairy foods which were the best source of protein for me, but I only get half as much as protein I need to keep my muscles growing. Tuna is the only high protein food I eat and I dont think its enough.

About the oatmeal, I eat it too but with rice milk or soy milk. When u first taste it on its own it may taste weird but mix it with ur oats and its just like milk. Plus u can get rice milk rich in calcium so u dont miss out.

Do you know any high protein non-dairy foods except tuna?

hiimrb I know what u mean. Trying to bodybuild and be acne free is not an easy task. When I was seriously bodybuilding, I had a huge intake of whole milk, white bread and many other high protein foods this had a serious effect on my skin.

Now when I try to eat the healthy stuff for my skin and try to get enough protein, it just doesnt work. Right now I've cut out all dairy foods which were the best source of protein for me, but I only get half as much as protein I need to keep my muscles growing. Tuna is the only high protein food I eat and I dont think its enough.

About the oatmeal, I eat it too but with rice milk or soy milk. When u first taste it on its own it may taste weird but mix it with ur oats and its just like milk. Plus u can get rice milk rich in calcium so u dont miss out.

Do you know any high protein non-dairy foods except tuna?

at least someone connects with me -_-

when I was bulking I had 2 skinless-boneless chicken breast a day. just pop it in a Foreman grill for 9 minutes and add some spice, it comes out as a 35g+ protein snack.

I'm thinking of trying making my home-made protein smoothies with chocolate soy-milk rather than milk and try that out (then again my recipe calls for 2 TBSP natty-peanut butter, which is another NO-NO..) argh....... anger! :D

I cant stand the taste of tuna straight up anymore.. I used to eat almost 3 cans a day. I suggest at least 8 egg-whites daily. As far as oats, I just use a pot + 1/2 a cup of old-fashioned quaker oats + 1 cup water and make my meal, using 2 packets splenda and a dash of cinnamin, no milk required!

Eggs and milk products are in some circumstances grouped together under the heading of dairy, probably because fresh eggs were often sold by milkmen. For example, the Open Directory Project at one point listed cooking eggs as a subcategory of cooking dairy products. However, dictionary definitions of "dairy" are limited to milk products and, as a result, will always exclude eggs and egg products.

Hi! I'm a vegetarian (who still eats fish) ... so I can definately answer the high protein foods question. Salmon is a good source of both protein and EFA. I'm a big bean fan - there are so many different varieties and they can be prepared in so many different ways. Black beans are excellent in rice dishes and added to salsa. Garbonzo beans are fabulous in salads (make a whole wheat pasta salad tossed with olive oil/ red wine vinegar/ herbs/ peppers/ garbonzo beans .... mmmmm) as well as garbonzos are used in hummus which is delicious as a dip for veggies or a spread for sanwiches and comes in amazing flavors and is also easy to make. Then there are always pinto beans - excellent for tacos etc. If you eat nuts - they are also a great source of protein (although if you are eating peanut butter or almond butter etc .... get a completely all natural or organic brand to avoid added preservatives and chemicals that take away from the nutritional value). Another big source of protein is soy. It took me a awhile after cutting out dairy to get used to soy products - but now I've adjusted. I love soy yogurt - and you will find it has more protein than regular. Soy milk also has more protein. Both make excellent smooties (in which you can add protein powder to if so desired). There is always Tofu - which by itself is scary - but it blends nicely into smoothies and since it has no flavor on it's own it takes on the flavor of anything you add. I agree with an early post saying that oats are not a "bad" carb. They are actually an extremely healthy and beneficial grain full of fiber. I eat organic granola cereal by the pound!!! I hope this helps for the protein question!!! I can't eat eggs (unless baked into products) ... but I also know that they are an extremely high source of protein and can be prepared in a number of ways ... try making a frittatta ("egg pizza" and substitute the cheese with soy cheese and add lots of your fav veggies)