Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey,

I'm a 20 year old male. I've been dealing with acne since I was about 14 and have it looking better then it has been in recent memory. I still have pretty obvious scarring on my face which I am trying to deal with (not sure how yet). My skin is extremely oily, I wash my face 3-4 times a day every 6 hours or so which is the main reason why it is as good as it looks right now (still not great but better then before). When I travel for even a weekend and am only able to wash my face in the morning and night (12-16 hours apart) I break out really bad which is very frustrating, so I hesitate to travel. I'm graduating from college soon with a business degree and will have to travel much more frequently, is there anything I can do to try to curb my outbreaks in this situation? When I was 15 the doctor prescribed Accutane but my mom convinced me not to take it so now you see what you see before you, should I go to the doctor and request Accutane (with my current face will he even give it to me)? I think this would get rid of the oil but who knows really, I've tried everything else. I have tried almost everything over the counter and I will list my "regiment" below.

Currently:

Drugs...

500MG Amoxicillin (Prescription) - twice daily, morning and night --- Been on this for about 5-6 years.

One-a-day Active Multivitamin

Vilantae (internet bought oil reducer) - 20 capsules daily - I know this seems like a lot and sucks but this pill has done more for me then any other concerning my acne.

Face Washing...

Clean and clear 5% salicylic acid anti-acne face soap (works better then any over the counter soap I've tried including BP)

I spot treat with neosporin cream (not ointment) - This stuff is also amazing, great for taking down annoying large pimples.

I would just like some help on how to deal with my scars and then also what to do about the extremely excess oil (these pics were taken right after I got out of the shower so the oil isn't there yet).

Thanks everyone for your help.

post-41610-1148950375_thumb.jpg

post-41610-1148950402_thumb.jpg

post-41610-1148950375_thumb.jpg

post-41610-1148950402_thumb.jpg

first try dan's regimen...follow it precisely....if that doesn't work the go on accutane. your skin looks very oily and you do have moderate acne.

I am horrified that your doctor has given you a 6-year course of amoxicillin. Was that all that was prescribed to you? No topical retinoids or topical antibiotics?

I think you need a new derm ....

I am horrified that your doctor has given you a 6-year course of amoxicillin. Was that all that was prescribed to you? No topical retinoids or topical antibiotics?

I think you need a new derm ....

She prescribed benzaclin cream (I think that was the name) but I stopped using it because of having better luck with neosporin.

Accutane - No.

yeah don't go on accutane it doesn't look that bad. I think the topicals or the regeime should keep it under control.

Accutane is seriously a magic drug for acne & one of the best break through in medical history,it works literally on everyone if monitered properly and this is the best hope for people with acne.If your acne bothers you you should go for it,since for the past few years you have tried other things and it hasnt helped you.BUt make sure your mentally stable to take it you will have to take it for 6 months with some side effects,go to your doc and see wt he/she says,but believe me those side effects are nothing compared to almost acne free face,some side effects are serious when doses are high so youll have to research a bit on it.

Accutane is seriously a magic drug for acne & one of the best break through in medical history,it works literally on everyone if monitered properly and this is the best hope for people with acne.

I have mild acne and it didn't work wonders for me. Initially it gave me a lot more problems.

Accutane is seriously a magic drug for acne & one of the best break through in medical history,it works literally on everyone if monitered properly and this is the best hope for people with acne.

I have mild acne and it didn't work wonders for me. Initially it gave me a lot more problems.

Oh really, can you share what problems you had?

it works on 90 % plus people,maybe you werent on the course long enough with the rite amount of dosage,alot of people quit by the 3rd month when the acne is cleared up but its a must to continue in my opinion but it seems like you had no improvement???.Could you tell me how long and wt dose you were on? were you being monitered by your doc regularly??

Oh really, can you share what problems you had?

That's the point though, I've tried Differin. I've been on every prescription but Accutane and the results are still not clear skin. That's why I'm wondering if I should go get Accutane or even if my doc will prescribe it anymore with my skin being "decent". I made an appointment June 14th, I haven't seen the dermatologist in over a year, should be interesting to see what they have to say.

Accutane is seriously a magic drug for acne & one of the best break through in medical history,it works literally on everyone if monitered properly and this is the best hope for people with acne.If your acne bothers you you should go for it,since for the past few years you have tried other things and it hasnt helped you.BUt make sure your mentally stable to take it you will have to take it for 6 months with some side effects,go to your doc and see wt he/she says,but believe me those side effects are nothing compared to almost acne free face,some side effects are serious when doses are high so youll have to research a bit on it.

That’s not entirely true. Accutane/Roaccutane is statistically only effective for 90% of the people that take it. That’s 10% of people taking a particularly controversial drug to no avail.

And only 50% experience a continuing freedom of acne after coming off the drug.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

That Avatar is so cute Lucinda! :D

Mattjo, definately try the regimen. You don't have anything nodular or cystic.

Thanks GTO :redface:

I think I look like a complete loonie! :lol:

Thanks GTO :redface:

I think I look like a complete loonie! :lol:

U know I :wub: it too :D