Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actually, my acne used to clear up every summer when I swam a lot. My theory was that the chlorinated water dried up the zits ... maybe it kills some surface bacteria as well.

Actually, my acne used to clear up every summer when I swam a lot. My theory was that the chlorinated water dried up the zits ... maybe it kills some surface bacteria as well.

thats what im thinking to but its not over drying so im going to get in every day.

Guest tired of this shish

Is it an indoor or outdoor pool?

it's true that the chlorine might be killing off bacteria, but if it's an outdoor pool you might be exposing yourself to the sun if you go often and getting tanned. everyone knows how tanning makes your face look better.

clorine, piss, and the germs of a bunch of individuals. doubt it.

chlorine kills the germs and piss is good for your skin apparantley so yeh it could help. I would assume the chlorine would kill some bacteria on your face as the purpose for it in the pool is to kill the bacteria, i went swimming the other week and i didnt break out or anything but everyones different

I swam competitively from age 6 -20. I never had acne issues until I entered college. I was in the pool more during that time than any other time in my life. I grew up with an extremely healthy lifestyle that went to complete crap in college. I went from eating lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains, protien to eating everything processed, fried, fast, and pure sugar and junk food. While I was swimming my skin got bad and the water didn't seem to help or hurt it either way. It did dry it out a lot though (a couple hours a day will do that). The only thing I can tell you is that it did get worse after I stopped swimming - but I also was depressed and stressed out. The one type of water I have found to work the best is salt water. Ever go swimming in the ocean with cuts? They sting - but seem to almost heal over night. I applied to philosophy to my routine and began washing my wash solely with salt. I have seen a drastic improvement over the past few weeks. I am a picker and the salt water has an anti-bacterial function that helps my wounds heal and prevents scarring. This is my routine:

3 times a day:

Wet face with warm water

Pour table salt (sea and iodine both work) into palm

Add a little warm water to salt to disolve

Scrub face with salt water mixture

Rinse with warm water

Finish with a splash of cold water

Pat face dry

At night I do not rinse salt water off my face and let my face air dry. At least once a day I use a lot of salt crystals and scrub with pressure to exfoliate the dead cells away. My complexion feels more even, the redness has gone down, and my wounds seem to heal faster.

I also have started taking a Flax Seed supplement 2 times a day EVERY DAY. This is all I've been doing for the past 2 weeks and have seen amazing results. I have also spent some time in the sun which has helped my appearance. This is coming from someone who has spent more than 700$ in the past year on acne treatments alone - with no success.

I recently realized that pool water seemed to fade some of my redmarks. At least I think so.

actually what is weird is the summer before 7th grade i was at the pool everyday swimming, and my skin got really tan and i had not even the slightest hint of any clogged pore. It was that fall i started to get breakouts on my forehead when I wasn't at the pool everyday and out in the sun. Maybe I grew dependant on cholrine to kill the bateria and germs in my face and when I didn't have it it went into shock?! Could be coisidence but I haven't been to a pool everytday for long periods of time since then.....Sea water has always cleared me 90% though.

i was in hawaii for 10 days last summer. so naturally i did alot of swimming and got MUCHO sol. my body cleared up beautifully, but my face went to hell. now, i think it may be because i didn't take care of my damn face---i didn't once apply sun screen, i lathered 10% bp at night and morning (my acne was pretty bad when i arrived), i scrubbed really hard in the shower, and i used those stupid clearasil wipes periodically throughout the day.

when i look back at the pictures, i notice a few red pimples---but mostly just "bad" skin. the texture is rough and uneven, some parts are peeling, my whole face looks dried out and thin---it's gross. this must obviously have something to do with the "face being more sensitive" than your body theory.

now, my face is almost perfect but my chest and shoulders are the problem areas...and even my abs too. no big cysts or nodules...just these annoying blackheads and whiteheads with occaisional bumps ever few square inches. GOD! >:o

Swimming at the beach is great for your skin. The salt water is good for your skin, you can also try washing your face with warm, salty water. Which I think is much better than using harsh chemicals on your face :) Also, the sand at the beach is good for exfoliating your skin with... :) Just don't scrub too hard... might aggravate your pimples more :P