Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TCat

TJCat's second accutane journal

Hello all,

This is my second time on tane and I found this site and like the community so I thought I'd share my experiences. I am a 21 yr old UK male who was last on tane 11 months ago, it kept me clear for bout 5-6 months but I am experiencing a relapse and am back on it now. The difference is its not cystic yet but I feel it may be in time. My current dosage is 40mg for 3 weeks then 60mg thereafter. Took first pills today. Apologies for being a bit sparse on detail but I'm a bit tired, any questions please ask.

TJ Out.

Day 2:

This wont be a daily journal btw, probably every 4 days or so I'll be posting. Some other things I thought of while I'm a bit more alert... ish :eh: -

My first time around my dose was 40mg daily, I weighed about 140 pounds. This time around I'm closer to 160 (from bulking at gym, not just eating too many pies I swear... :redface: ) so my dose will be upped to 60mg after a few weeks like I said. My skin has always been very oily since bout 13, my problem area has always been around my mouth mainly, but pre my first course of tane it started to turn cystic and I was getting them on my cheeks and forehead as well. Also, I'm taking Roaccutane which is the Roche version. I guess the only advantage to the NHS is brandname drugs and 6 pounds per prescription, but I'm sure all the English here could list the ways in which it sucks. I remember I didnt really get the breakout last time till week 4, until that point I was kinda worsening anyway so for a couple weeks around week 4 it was baaad... Kinda anxious about that again but I guess I'll just have to endure. Current skin condition is not too bad, got a few actives around lower lip area but thats about it.

TJ Out.

Hi TJ.

I wish you good luck for your second round of Roaccutane.

Gee.. I am also getting those cysts that you mentioned during your first course.

Does it go away in the end?

Thankss so much for visiting my log..

I am actually on 40 mg.

Sorry to create a confusion with my signature ;).

I am even getting breakout until week hmm 13 I guess..

Well.. take care of yourself.

Hopefully this time you'll have a smooth journey.

We'll all here to help you through

Corrine

Corrine - Thanks for your comments. My first time round I broke out fairly constantly for 6 weeks, weeks 5 and 6 being the worst with multiple big cysts... Not a good time. Week 7 onwards tho it just got better and within about a week I was pretty much clear so its just a matter of patience. Hang in there.

Day 5 update:

So today I can notice my lips feel dry, some dryness around my mouth area so I'll start moisterising from now. The acne was quite bad the last couple of days, all in my goatee area and whiteheads, no cysts luckilly. Today it seems a bit better with only a couple new ones and the rest seem to be healing, but we'll see. I'm bracing for a IB of some description and cant believe this is the extent of it, it would be nice tho... :think: I'm still oily in the T-Zone.

TJ Out.

Hey Welcome back to the accutane group :D I never thought I would be taking this stuff a second time, but I guess here we are, hopefully to be cured forever. One thing I am going to do differently after this course is start on retin-a immediately after and continue that pretty much for the rest of my life haha. I have heard great things about it :) I dont know if you will be the same but my first course's IB WAS HORRIBLE... this one seems to be alot better. Im sure youll clear up faster too, my derm says that people react quicker to the drug the 2nd time around. Anyhow, good luck! :D

Cheers Jen,

I might consider retin-a afterwards, I think theres a moisteriser that has it in which would be handy. My first IB was pretty much the worst thing ever, the main reason I hesitated this time round but we'll see...

Day 6: AKA: Dont mess with the sun...

So anyway, today the sun totally annihlated me. I forgot sunblock, went to a rugby match and thought: I'll be fine, the sun will only be on this stand for another half hour and its english sunshine, I'll be fine... I was wrong. Now I have sore lobster red arms and T-Zone, moral is, wear sunblock all the time. Skin wise I unfortunately am still getting some spots around the goatee area and now I can feel two bumps forming, one on each cheek. I'm hoping they dont turn cystic but time will tell... Hold me. :wacko:

Day 7:

Well the sunburn was still red this morning, not peeling fortunately. One of the bumps seems to be subsiding under the skin I hope, the other has come out into a big red spot. Its not cystic but has no head, its quite hard too. Being one of lifes pickers the urger to squeeze is strong but I must resist... I also have woken up with a cold which extra sucks.

Hi Tj

Hope your big bumps will go away soon..

I definitely hate that as well :D.

And don't forget to use your sunscreen next time ;)

Gee.. it is still in my mind as well.. the day when those dreading cysts occupy my face during the initial breakout.

Honestly I will not have the courage as you to go through that phase again ^_^.

Wish you all the best and wish you a beautiful day TJ.

Corrine

Day 8:

Corrine - Yeah the IB's do suck, not much you can do cept grin and bear it. Thanks, your're a very sweet lady ;)

Today both bumps developed white heads. Now big red cysts I can avoid picking because they can scar and do no good usually to squeeze, but obnoxius big red ones with whiteheads I object to so I declared war and removed them. Hopefully they'll heal fairly quickly now without leaving a mark. Other than those two the face isnt too bad at present, the mouth area seems to be healing up. Lips very dry now, need chapstick every couple hours, applying moisteriser daily still to face. Shoulders and chest seem to be breaking out quite a lot, they werent too bad before. But as long as its where no-one can see I'm happy with it...

Something to with the drug thinning out the skin and purging the pores in one hit I think.

Hi TJCat..

Huahuha.. I am having the same experience as you last time.

Also had those big ugly bumps that turns to a head. I have resisted so much from Fri-Sun.. but they are just so obvious so I removed them.. ohh.. what a bad girl :P.

Well.. how is it now? Is everything goes well.

I use chapstick every hmm 10 minutes.. Gosh it just dries out as soon as I applied it on my lips.

Welll wish you luck for the pimples on your shoulder and chest.. hope they will go away soon.. :D.

Cheers

Corrine

Day 14:

Huzzah, two weeks down.

Well, lets start with the obvious - the zits... Actually its ok at the moment (I know i'll regret that), the two big bumps came to heads quickly and were removed and have almost healed. Everything else is healing and I've had no new biggies, just a couple little whities, bout 2 in 4 days. I'm not gonna celebrate yet, Weeks 4-6 are approaching and that was the bad time last go... :think:

Dryness is quite advanced now, lower half of face extremely dry in mornings on lower half, lips need chapstick every hour. I got caned by the sun again this weekend, I used sunscreen but forgot my neck doh... :doh: Chest and shoulders calmed down a bit, no newbies...

Thats about it, I'll try stay upbeat but worry about the next few weeks...

Day 18:

Face: I know I'll regret this but... almost perfect. No actives, the healers are healed. Really getting worried about weeks 4 onwards now. The speed this has cleared my face is amazing compared to the first time. Dryness is much the same, needs moisteriser in morning and evening, lips need balm constantly.

Torso: Still not so great with plenty new ones, I can handle it where it doesnt show ha.

Other than that I dont really have any other side effects, maybe I get sore muscle easier at the moment, I really notice a hard game of football afterwards.

TJ Out.

Hey TJCat gd luck man, do you think once you stop tane is a gd idea to start another med?........such as minicine or occytetra?

also, Jen are you sure u wanna use Retin-A the rest of ur life? :ninja: makes u rly pale as i noticed when i used it.

Thanks Nazario.

No I dont really think its a good idea to use an antibiotic again, not for me anyway as I have already gotten all the benefit out of the tetracycline family I can through minocycline. Plus by the end of that before I grew immune to it I was told to take regular bloodtests as long term use can affect liver function. I hope that I will not need another medication after this course, that it will either be cured or easily controlled with some sort of topical, although nothing has worked except accutane before. I'm fairly convinced that the cause of my acne is internal anyway. I guess I'll just have to hope for the best when this is over.

Hey again TJ, do you think that when u come off tane u would do anything different from last time? to make sure it doesn't come back?.... :think::)

Yo TJCat whats going on. Im a 18 year old male from the UK LONDON!!!! anyway this is also my second time round and pretty much was the same as you, started about 11 months ago in spet and was cool for about 8 months but then started breaking out again, doctors wouldnt put me back on roaccutane so i had to find my own supplies, im on my 3rd day at 40mg and my lips are just starting to dry, i love that feeling, you know its working lol. By the way the pic isnt of me now its at my prom bout few months ago when i was clear! Im the same as you i dont really have that many spots and the acne this time is so much better but still, its the red marks the new ones leave, theyre killer and ruin the whole complexion so i thought fuck it lets just do it again. Check my log out dude. Good luck.

Cheers, MarkAnthony, or is it just Mark ha. This will become the UK thread soon, but that can only be a good thing. Thats quite interesting that you sourced it yourself. What do you think your dosage will/duration will be? Mine will be 40mg for 3 weeks and 60 for 5 weeks if you need something to base it on, bear in mind body weight can affect it, I'm currently bout 155lb.

Nazario - I'm not sure really, I'm tempted to give retin-A a go but I'm not overly keen on doing anything long term. I think that the only thing that will really work for me aside from accutane is growing out of it.

Hey TJ.... yeah i hear ya, i think im gna try retin-A and sort my nutrition top notch... although when u work out u release testosterone and a high protein diet might nt help.... but im hopin thts fine if i have al necessary vits and minerals and take care of myself....

Out.

Hey mate, hows it going, yeh england were shite - i was going crazy! I think thats about the only time i forget about acne, lol. Im awaiting the sweden game hoping we step it up for a better team and see what effect our healing star has on the game. Anyway back to the acne lol, im on day 5 and im my lips are only slightly drier, like no other side effects, im wondering whether my pills are duds! i mean the packaging is perfect but still...when did your lips start to really dry???

Also as far as dosing goes, im going to do around 2 weeks on 40mg then max out to 70 or 80mg, i weigh 70kg so 70mg would be 1mg/kg but 80mg would be approx 1.15mg.kg so its a little extreme but i just want to reach the cumulative dose as soon as possible. Had some new pills arrive today, acnotin or something, 120 x 20mg so thats cool, if the others are duds which i dont really think they are these ones should be good.

Day 21:

60mg from now on.

Wow, 3 weeks already. Increased dosage time, bring it on... Well, the skin report is as follows - I had one newbie that formed properly today, it was a whitehead by the evening and not too big so I killed it. The only real concern I have is a large bump on my cheek that never formed above the skin, it could only be felt and not seen. Now its going a bit purple and coming up slightly, not painfull tho. Thing is its right near the only real scar I have from acne and I dont want another so I must resist the urge to poke it at all costs. Those two are the only things I have on my face, my shoulders are still breaking out, just keep it below the neck guys...

TJ out.

Day 24:

Skin - Only active on face is the biggie on my cheek I talked about. It was pretty noticable and purple last couple days, seems smaller now so hopefully its on its way out. Strangely it never hurt which is good. Shoulders seem to be slowing down in the breakout stakes, still quite a few actives but its a bit better.

The time period that was worst for me first time round is approaching again, its playing on my mind lately but aside from that I'm doing ok.

Out.