Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kirstin

Another Derm Appt Tomorrow...suggestions?

Hi All!

I am relatively still new to this forum, but the advice I have received so far has helped!

I have dealt with acne/extremely oily skin for at least 17 years! I am now 27 and a young professional that is just over it all-the acne and oily skin. I have tried everything! Retinoids, BP, Clindamycin, Benzaclin, Sulfa, Tazorac, sulfa, ortho trycyclin, etc...

Because of the response to my last post about how frusterating this is, I have decided to remain diligent in my quest for clear/normal skin. I have yet another derm appt tomorrow with a derm that was recommended by the Washingtonian (I live in the Northern VA/DC area) as one of the top derms in the area. This will be my 3rd derm appt in the past 6 months! The last one told me that it would be "illegal" to prescribe me accutane! She also tried to tell me that using a toner and using a face wash with salicidic acid would stop my oilyness-To which I responded that I have used both and they don't work! On top of that I started crying and she obviously cut the appt short after writing me more scripts for tazorac and BP (as if to appease me and shut me up).!

Anyways, I want to do all that I can to make this doctor understand and write me a script for accutane. I am going to my appt with a huge zip lock full of the products I have used, along with a list of products/strengths. I also am going to work from home and not wear any makeup or wipe my face until my appt! I figure by 2:00 it will be extremely oily!

Does anyone have any more suggestions for my appt?

Any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Hey there! Sounds like you're pretty prepared! I think I would just stress to your derm that you've tried numerous different treatments (bring a list with you) and that nothing has worked. Also let them know how much having acne has affected you - the psychological affects are just as damaging (or more so) than the physical.

I think you said in a different post that you have moderate (and persistant) acne. I don't see any reason why a derm wouldn't prescribe accutane. Good luck to you! :)

Thanks! Good point to add the psych effects!

I was weary to do that before, but maybe I should say that it has an effect on my job, as a consultant---I am constantly worried if I am shiny or that they won't take me seriously because my skin looks so bad and I don't do anything about it...which is much the opposite...I have tried everything!.

Hi, hopefully it will be 3rd time lucky for you and you'll get what you want.... some consultants dont even take the time to ask your history - I went for my first derm appt on saturday, she asked me my age, occupation and insurance company before i'd even sat down! She glanced at me and asked me when it started, she didnt ask what i'd used and how effective things were... luckily for me she thinks accutane is the only thing left (ive tried the usual antibiotics, topicals, dianette).... so i start in about a month.

THe thing is i'd prepared myself for the appt, going through in my mind how it made me feel at home, socially, at work etc., and what meds i'd tried, that was a waste of time cause she didnt ask - i just told her while she was writing anyway!

I think sometimes you have to just try and make them listen to what you've tried and how its affecting your life - easier said than done i know....

good luck with ur appt!! Let us know how it goes :)

Hey all...Here's an update on my oily skin saga:

I went to my third derm complaining about the oilyness. This one was better, but I found out that he does not prescribe accutane. I now am going to change to Yasmin, starting to take minocycline and trying differin. I am also taking 10,000 IU of B5 and found a great face wash by neutrogena that is also a 3 minute mask. I use it as a mask as I get into the shower in the AM and before I go to bed. It seems to be a bit better but we will see. I am also going to go to another derm (referred to by this derm) if this doesn't work for accutane and some scar treatments.

I went through the same thing as you! 3 different derm doctors, all didn't give a CRAP that I was 26 and I had worse acne than 10 years ago....

They pushed minocin, and other products on me, etc and didn't want to know what I had already tried. No one would give me accutane cuz I can have children and made the mistake of telling them I had a boyfriend.

Anyway, I went to a family doctor recently and explained everything. I also told her I did not have a boyfriend and had NO social life because I didn't want to leave the house anymore cuz of my acne (which was pretty much true). After 2 months and one visit where she was going to send me for blood tests yet again but I was on the verge of tears and begged her to put me on accutane and told her I knew everything about it...... so she quizzed me! I was perfect for every answer and she prescribed to to me and told me I'd have to see her and get blood tests every 2 weeks, I didn't care.

I hope you're on the right road now as well poster..... good luck and keep us updated!