Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AvaMarie

AvaMarie's Assault on Adult Acne (AAAA)

Nerdy name for a personal log, huh?

I am 25 years old. As a teen, I'd get an occasional zit here or there. However, at 24 years old during my second year of graduate school, I began experiencing (what I think of as moderate) hormonal adult acne. It's persisted for a year and a half now. It's on my jaw line, my chin, the lower parts of my cheeks, and sometimes around my mouth. My forehead, nose, uppercheeks, and hairline are clear. I occasionally get a zit someplace on my body but very rarely.

The acne isn't cystic. It's whiteheads and small, closed pimples. I do have one on my chin that has been there for a year and a half, and won't go away. Under my mouth are small, white bumps that release a white substance if pressed, but they don't ever get better or worse. They've been there for years.

My skin is super sensitive. If I even look at it the wrong way, it seems to break out. I have tried numerous OTC products. Most cleansers and moisturizers only make my skin worse. Not moisturizing isn't an option as I live in the southwestern US in an extremely dry climate. If I don't use a moisturizer, my skin gets all flaky and breaks out. BP makes my skin worse.

I was taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, but have since learned that this can make skin worse and so have stopped. I am not taking a new birth control pill at this current time. My body tends to be very sensitive to medications and I was having other very obnoxious side effects (besides more pimply skin). I would like to clear this condition up without BC if I can.

I have recently started using a product with salicyclic acid and retinyl palmitate (i.d. bareVitamins skin rev-er upper) and Olay age-defying anti-wrinkle moisturizer with SPF 15. I read someplace that anti-aging lotions are good because they contain vitamin A derivatives meant to slough off the top layer of skin (which diminishes wrinkles and can also be effective against material trapped beneath the top layer of skin).

Interestingly, these seem to be accomplishing something - but I can't tell yet if it's good. The closed pimples have erupted into whiteheads, and are healing and flaking off quickly. So, I don't have many closed pimples, but more whiteheads than normal. The parts with healing lesions are very peel-y, like I had a sunburn. I can't tell if my skin is purging the impurities, or if it's rebelling against the new products. Argh. Time will tell, I guess.

I also use bareEscentials mineral make-up. Am not sure if my skin likes that either, but it doesn't seem to be getting worse.

I have an appointment with a dermatologist in July. As a poor grad student, I only now have health insurance to pay for treatment for this. The derm is a woman, because I feel more comfortable talking with a woman about hormonal issues.

So, here's my current regimen:

Medications: None

Vitamins: MV, C, E once daily

Morning:

1) Finger wash with a small amount Oil of Olay Sensitive Skin Cleaner, splash clean with lukewarm water, pat dry with towel

2) Gently apply the i.d. bareVitamins skin rev-er upper

3) Wait 10 min

4) Gently apply the Oil of Olay age defying anti-wrinkle moisturizer w/ SPF 15

5) Wait 10 min

6) Apply i.d. bareEscentials mineral make-up as needed with clean brushes (I wash them after every use).

Night:

1) Same thing as morning, minus the make-up

Any and all input is appreciated.

The plague of the whiteheads persists, mostly on my chin. It seems as though the skin on my lower cheeks and jaw is doing less flaking, and what's left beneath the previously flaky areas are red, slightly swollen areas that feel firm (but not zit-like) to the touch. Hm. The cycle of healing or rebirth of pimples? It's especially noticeable on my lower cheeks. I also have a pimple on my previously clear forehead. Blast. Am wondering if using the skin rev-er upper and the lotion twice a day is too much. Maybe I'll back it down to using no lotion at night, and the rev-er upper only on my t-zone at night.

July is a long time away,

if i were you- i'd be trying the clear skin regime untill then, considering its available over the counter.

1 months may be to early to see results for most people, but many have seen results that early before.

Also there is no proof that any vitmain suppliments can help with acne, I belive B5 is being trialed though.

I agree with the above.

A three step regimen with Benzoyl Peroxide would be a good step to consider. Maybe you should try the Clear Skin Regimen we have here.

First, you might want to check the PH in your skin cleanser and that it's not drying your skin. Ph should be around 5.5. Compromise any of those you are compromising your skin's acid mantle, which is your skin's primary defense.

Secondly, you are using a BHA (salicylic acid), which can be good. BHAs cleans deep in your skin removing dirt and oil (sebum). When you do that it is imperative you restore your skin's natural oil with emu or jojoba oil (an oil very similiar to what your skin produces). Again, if you don't you are also compromising your acid mantle. Also, your product contains retinyl palmitate. if it's in the same class of retinols, it is known to cause breakouts if you're acne prone. If it does you might want to swtich to another BHA product.

Third, which i would recommend you do first to prevent acne is use an antibacterial agent like tea tree oil because you probably stripped away your acid mantle already and there's nothing fighting bacterial for you. But you will have to patient for it will take about two weeks before you notice any improvements. Once you build your acid mantle you can slowly cut out tea trea oil.

Fourth, i would stay clear from BP since it's actually does more harm than good in the long run. they say it initially causes redness, dry skin, etc... uh hello! that's a sign your skin does not like it. listen to your skin.

If you have other questions feel free to email me, for i might not find your page again to respond to. I usually float around. Or if you have questions you can email me and send me a link to your page so i can answer questions here because i do want to help others.

good luck... :)

Thanks for your replies, everyone!

The regimen here is intriguing and I have taken parts from it, but in my experience BP makes my skin much worse - even if I just use a tiny amount. I am going to steer clear of good 'ol BP. As for the vitamin supplements to combat acne for the most part, the vitamin supplements are just for my general health (though I am taking the Vitamin E to help with healing - dunno if it actually works). I have also been eating carrots like a mofo, just to see if the extra Vitamin A will help. So far, no dice.

I never thought to check the PH in my cleanser, I will have to do so. I have also never used tea tree oil, I may look into that. It sounds harsh though, and I am afraid to try anything harsh on my skin.

I didn't use the i.d. bareEscentuals rev-er upper nor the age-defying lotion last night, and my face seemed calmer this morning despite not getting enough sleep. Things are less swollen, though I did still wake up with a couple of whiteheads. One was on my right cheek and one was near the corner of my lower lip on my chin. I can feel another tiny one on my left jaw line. I think I have been over-producting my poor skin. That is the hardest thing for me to resist doing. To me, more products should equal better skin. At least, that's what I once thought. A direct correlation, ya know?

I was bad and popped the pimple on my forehead. Now I have a red mark, which is what I deserve I suppose.

Meh.

Have discontinued use of the i.d. skin rev-er upper, and my skin seems to be flaring up less. I was pleased. Even so, my boyfriend told me that my face looked "worse" today, and a friend of mine asked me last night what had happened to my chin (a large pimple). There aren't any active pimples on my face right now, but it's because I've popped them all. I know I shouldn't have and I regret it. I now have lovely red marks where I only had small bumps before. But they were sore, and with the comments people have been making I irrationally feel like since my face obviously looks awful, what would it matter if I made it a little worse? *sigh* Now I'm going to have to direct efforts toward healing the damage I've done. Poor skin.

While I'm on the subject, it seems to take forever for pimples to go away on my skin. Some of them never go away unless I pop them. They'll sit there for months, years even! It doesn't matter what products I use. What's the deal?

I am, however, a fan of this anti-aging Olay product. The parts of my face that are pimple-free are growing smoother, and it seems that I have fewer blackheads on my nose and chin.

So. My regimen is currently:

Medications: None

Vitamins: MV, C, E once daily (not for skin really, just for health)

Morning:

1) Finger wash with a small amount Oil of Olay Sensitive Skin Cleaner, splash clean with lukewarm water, pat dry with towel

2) Wait 10 min

3) Gently apply the Oil of Olay age defying anti-wrinkle moisturizer w/ SPF 15

4) Wait 10 min

5) Apply i.d. bareEscentuals mineral make-up as needed with clean brushes (I wash them after every use).

Night:

I've been trying Vitamin E facial masks a couple of times weekly, but they don't seem to make things better or worse. *shrug*

Swapped the Oil of Olay Sensitive Skin Cleaner for Oil of Olay Anti-Wrinkle Anti-Blemish Cleanser containing salicyclic acid a few days ago. So far, so good. I am also drinking a couple of gallons of water daily. I think the skin gods are pleased with this offering, heh. There were a couple of tiny whiteheads on my jawline this morning, but otherwise no active acne on my face. Just areas that are healing. Am additionally trying not to look in the mirror unless I'm brushing my hair or putting make-up on because it helps me keep my hands off my face, and I tend to mess with pimples if I see them - which, of course, perpetuates the acne cycle.

The skin gods are still fairly pleased with this regimen. My jaw has cleared up. My lower cheeks are clearing up - the clear skin is working its way from the outer edges of the afflicted area on my lower cheeks toward my chin. The worst areas are now just to the right and left of my chin. I had NO new pimples this morning! Oh my word, it's been ages since I've woken up with no new pimples. After work today I had two small white heads to the left of my chin. Being my pick-ish self, I popped them. There is no worse temptation than white heads which to me, which seem to be screaming for release. I'll probably get a couple more pimples in the same area now for that! I've got to think of popping things as abusing my skin, not helping it.

Hyperpigmentation is slowly going away, but I still have a lot of pinkish marks. It seems that I still only have one scar. I am extremely conscious of that scar, even though it's very small. It is a small, indented spot that has only been there for a handful of months, and seems to be shrinking. I keep applying Mederma (to just that tiny spot) in hopes that it will completely vanish one day. If it doesn't, and I can keep my skin clear, I plan to have it repaired if I can.

Good skin karma to all.

Try about 2 grams (not miligrams) of vitamin b5 if nothing else works. That cured my acne in 3 days. Its cured hundreds of people's acne and just makes any oil (which leads to infections and zits) completely stop in their tracks. There are no side effects or toxity limits.

I woke up again with no new pimples! There is, however, one pimple slowly forming on my jawline. It itches like crazy! Does anyone else get this odd, itching sensation just before a pimple forms? It drives me nuts.

Other than that, my skin is continuing to clear. O_O

It's a bit dry and flaky right now in the healing areas but nothing else to report. I wish I knew if I can attribute this sudden skin clearing to the huge amounts of water I'm drinking, or to the new salicyclic acid cleanser? Maybe it's a bit of both. Knock on wood, but nothing's worked this well since the acne first reared its ugly head.