Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
redmarkss

Need advice on accutane - from you !

Hello,

I thought my acne was a bit over, that is the pimples/cyst whatever part since I only got 1-2 pimples a week (sometimes they grow big) I thought it would cool down in a month or 2.

Now it is still like that and of course all my pimples leave behind red marks that won't ever go away ( :( ), have some from 8 months now, and some from 2 months, and some dissappear (dont know why some take so long ;/).

Now i am seeing my doctor on friday again and i wanted to know if i should go on accutane yes or no.

Although i have been thinking of lasering the red marks that i got, and just let the 1-2 pimple a week be.

Im positive accutane will work but i will still have red marks after that, which i truely hate, and i am not sure if they will dissappear any time soon since those marks i have for 8 months hardly seem diminished ;/ (and with summer coming etc. it will probably only get worse)

Does accutane have any effect on lasering red marks / scars (with vbeam / smoothbeam / other laser)?

thanks

Hi. Do you have active acne (other than the one or two pimples you mention) or is it redmarks you are concerned about? Have you already taken any medication?

If you first concern is red marks, I don't believe Accutane will particularly help (although, someone please correct me if I am wrong). Instead Accutane shrinks the oil glands thereby reducing your propensity to get more spots. It is therefore used to treat active acne, and fairly moderate/severe acne at that. You may not get an Accutane prescription for one a two spots a week, especially if you haven't tried any other meds. If you do get an Accutane prescription, you will not be able to get laser treatment whilst you are on Tane and for several (6 I think) months afterwards because of a risk of scarring.

Also: I am not generally a believer in the acne / diet connection, but I think that for very mild acne it is at least worth trying.

Hello jbhk,

Mostly i am concerned about the red marks, that i want to laser away any time soon if my red marks don't fade away.

But the problem was, i still have some "active" acne, that is maybe 1 big pimple / cyst whatever it is called in 1 week (that leaves a red mark for 1-2 months) and some super small ones that are hardly noticeable .

Now what i am "concerned" of is that if i laser most of my red marks away, but if i still get some pimples in the coming months that may leave red marks, i will have alot of red marks in a few months again (although lately the new ones fade away very quick due to better food + drinks and some medication, but the old ones don't, thus the laser).

What I understand of accutane is that it only prevents acne from happening right?

So even if I quit accutane sometime, and get a laser, there is still the possibility of getting pimples later thus getting new marks...

I've basicly answered my question by my own now :P the accutane will not do much for me i think, the pimples aren't the real problem but the red marks are (especially the old marks which i got along time now by no medication, not healthy food + drinks, and i was touching / killing it with my hands all the time, stupid me ;)).

Maybe when the holidays start i will start begin some lasering (if my red marks aren't improved at that time) and get some clearer skin :)

red marks fade. If you feel they are fading slowly try some creams also I have heard of vinegar helping them heal. Also look into supplements that aid in general wound healing of the body.

red marks fade. If you feel they are fading slowly try some creams also I have heard of vinegar helping them heal. Also look into supplements that aid in general wound healing of the body.

Thing is, i got some marks that are over 8 months now and still look worse as new red marks.

I don't think they will fade any time soon, not planning on waiting 2 years.

So i've spoken to some people about laser treatment and all were happy and it worked very well, haven't seen anything else that works for red marks over a few months