Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

if you over-do suntanning you wil irritate your skin an ul cause a breakout within a week or so

if your using bp and going in the sun you should really wear some SPF cream .

Please don't tan. You wouldn't believe how many people think tanning is a GOOD thing. It's not good EVER, especially not for three hours.

Did you know...

1) Sun damage is cumulative and occurs even when you don't burn or tan

2) Although not immediately visible, UVA rays lead to premature aging, skin cancer, and cataracts. These problems can become evident before the age of 30.

3) UVA rays can penetrate glass not coated with UVA protecting tints.

4) UVB rays are thought to be primarily responsible for sunburns, but UVA rays can also cause burning with enough exposure.

5) A tan is not necessary to get enough sun exposure to make Vitamin D

6) The small amount of UV rays allowed through sunscreens is probably enough for the body to make Vitamin D

7) Vitamin D can be gotten through supplements to be sure.

8) Not all sunscreens provide enough protection against UVA rays. Only buy sunscreens that contain avobenzone/parsol 1789, titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, and mexoryl sx (outside US).

9) Sun exposure and tanning (which is a visible warning sign that sun damage has taken place).

10) Sun damage leads to a destruction of collagen and the skin's intercellular matrix, which eventually results in a WORSENING of acne.

11) The minimum SPF reccomendation is an SPF 15

12) Acne medications make the skin more sun-sensitive

13) Most sun damage takes place while a person is still young.

14) The rays of the sun are strongest between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM, especially in the spring and summer.

15) Most people do not apply sunscreen liberally enough to get enough protection

Obviously there are more facts about the sun and tanning, but I think this is enough to help.

Sun damage leads to a destruction of collagen and the skin's intercellular matrix, which eventually results in a WORSENING of acne.

that was my point but in more scientific terminology!

sun exposure worsens acne in the long run

I,m pretty sure that real sun ( not from tanning room) is good for acne. Some people will tell you that if you go tanning you increase your risk of skin cancer and it will lead to premature aging. They may be right for skin cancer, but as someone said ealier, photoaging is mainly cause by UVA wich aren't filterd by glass. So you'll nearly get as much dammage by staying in front of your computer than tanning outside. Plus Benzoyle Peroxyde do the same dammage (for premature aging ) than the sun do, I'd much rather have a tan though.

So you'll nearly get as much dammage by staying in front of your computer than tanning outside.

Do you have a source for this?

So you'll nearly get as much dammage by staying in front of your computer than tanning outside.

Do you have a source for this?

I shouldn't have say that. I came from this conclusion from logical deduction but it may be wrong and don,t want people to take it as an aboslute truth. Experts claims that it's UVA wich mainly cause premature aging, and UVA isn't filtered by glass and it's emission is nearly constant all day ( when there's sunlingt) long and all year long (even during winter). Plus, a tan helps filter UV rays, but you won't get much of one staying inside.

Plus, a tan helps filter UV rays, but you won't get much of one staying inside.

Yes, but that's if your skin has naturally more melanin. If not, tanning won't help...

I find that too much sun ends up just irritating my skin as someone mentioned above. I learned my lesson when I went away on vacation last year and naturally spent most of my days outside. At first it appeared to help but then my skin just ended up terribly oily and irritated from the sun exposure. So just be careful not to overdo it

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

I,m pretty sure that real sun ( not from tanning room) is good for acne. Some people will tell you that if you go tanning you increase your risk of skin cancer and it will lead to premature aging. They may be right for skin cancer, but as someone said ealier, photoaging is mainly cause by UVA wich aren't filterd by glass. So you'll nearly get as much dammage by staying in front of your computer than tanning outside. Plus Benzoyle Peroxyde do the same dammage (for premature aging ) than the sun do, I'd much rather have a tan though.

I think it's safe to say that you're struggling on this one.

Hmm, I realise I will probably be criticized for this comment but I am making it anyway.

I also find that the sun does wonders for my skin. I think it may something to do with my mixed-race colouring (half indo-Caribbean, half white English).

No. I don't purposely tan :naughty: I've never used a sunbed and I don't sun-bathe at all.

But I am very active outdoors in the summer. I'm not stupid, I know the risks; I wear a cap, and sunscreen. I think this kind of sun exposure is good; it’s what nature intended.

I don't let some hysterical fear of the damaging effects of sunlight keep me inside all day. People look into the science too much, they get scared by facts and figures and forget to just kick-back and enjoy summer for the beautify season that it is.

So what if the sun catches me face when I'm playing basketball with my friends? Will I drop dead of skin cancer two years later? No, most likely not. I’m more likely to die of lung cancer from the spliff I smoke after the games over :lol:

I would rather catch some sun while I’m keeping fit and enjoying my life - and as a consequence have one or two more wrinkles when I’m older, then shy away and waste my life.

It's sad the way people can no longer age gracefully :(

Azazel, you COMPLETELY misread what I wrote. I said that UVA rays CAN penetrate through glass, UNLESS that glass has a UVA tint.

Another thing: I was asking my parents what was done to treat acne back in their day, and their response was that they would go to a dermatologist and get a sunlamp treatment. Now, why do you suppose dermatologists no longer reccommend that?

And lastly, tanning helps acne temporarily because UV rays kill acne bacteria, but not all of them. After tanning, your skin, now sun damaged, is thicker than before, meaning that your dead skin cells are more likely to clog pores. Once the bacteria have a chance to reinstate their numbers, your skin is not only at a disadvantage because it is no longer as healthy as it was before, but since you are more likely to get clogged pores that also means these bacteria are more likely to get trapped in them, making the acne WORSE. Before you argue that acne looks better on tanned skin, you can use a self-tanner to darken your skin and hide redness.

To Lucinda, it's fine to live life in the moment, and it sounds that you are trying to protect yourself. However, you may be surprised who gets skin cancer and who doesn't (i.e., people that don't tan on purpose who also don't have particularly fair complexions and thus think they're safe). I'm not saying you'll get skin cancer, but just don't assume the risks of frequent sun exposure are so slight as one or two more wrinkles than what you'd have anyway. I recently saw a nature show on TV about the California condors, and from a distance one of the girls involved with the condors seemed so pretty and young, but when they did a closeup her skin was more lined and blotchy than my fifty-two year old mother - obviously sun damaged, and couldn't have been older than in her thirties. I am sure that someone who spends her time under the desert sun would wear sunscreen sunglasses, but the best way to prevent against sund damage is to avoid sun exposure when possible. Also, it would be a good idea to wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from developing cataracts in the future since you spend so much time outdoors.

Yeah i agree the sun helps... sun and salt water nearly cured me %90

Azazel, I'm sorry, my first sentence probably doesn't make sense. I meant to say after that there is no UVA tint for the sky; basically, you seem to think that UVA rays are only problematic in tanning salons, but UVA rays are a problem outdoors too.

Also, more of this debate is posted in "The Clear Skin Regimen and the War on Acne" thread. You can read my opinions there.

However I think:

You should enjoy life, but find a balance between tanning and the consequences you may incur.

You should wear SPF 15+ (30+ is highly recommended)

Tanning is not good for you, but if it makes you feel better about yourself, then do it. In the long run tanning will not help your acne. Your skin tone may help to mask it a bit more, but since the sun will damage the bacteria AND your skin cells, you aren't acquiring any benefit in that respect. In fact, damaged skin cells will probably allow more bacteria in.

Obviously you are taking a risk while tanning. It is important you know those risks before you really set out to tan. That is why you should read that thread, which was the site of a relatively drawn out debate between myself and two others (LabGirl81 and The Snow Queen). Both are knowledgeable on the effects that the sun can have on your skin. But please, draw your own conclusions when you read that debate. READ IT!

Respectfully, me

i find that the normal sun helps me. i work outside all day, and when i come home my skin usually looks a bit better. but i never purposely just sit out and tan or go to a tanning salon, because like everyone else has explained, they arent the healthieset things out there for your skin

I have to agree that a little bit of sun is good, but too much is bad.

I hit the beach up last weekend and now, just under 6 days later I'm breaking out everywhere on my face that didn't have sun tan lotion on it. For the past 2 weeks before this I hadn't gotten any break outs at all. Coincidence?

Guest ihatespots

i got sunburned like hell today so hopefully it'' clear a few forehead spots up! :dance:

A little sun is good, but tanning is usually bad.

Did you know that three of the major sunscreen companies are being sued right now for false advertising and selling products that don't work?

Did you know that three of the major sunscreen companies are being sued right now for false advertising and selling products that don't work?

Which ones?

Which ones?

I can't remember them all...Coppertone I believe was one of them, they were in the worst trouble because they have sunscreen for infants (Water Babies). I read the article some months ago.

Guest ihatespots

sun aint good for your skin imo.i've broken out in places ive been clear for agggggesssss on my face.dont go out into the sun :evil: