Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
remember4

psyllium and bentonite shakes

i searched for this question but couldnt find the answer...

when should i take the pb shakes in relation to when i eat and to when i take supplements? (ie first thing in the morning before eating, not within a certain time of taking supplements, etc.)

Space it out an hour before and after taking an supplements & food. Be sure to drink a full glass of water immediately after the P&B shake too.

Start out with a small amount of psyllium (like a teaspoon), and work your way up slowly, especially if you're prone to constipation. Like Rubbersheep said, make sure you drink lots of water. Also, if you find you get constipated, try using ground flax seed in place of the psyllium. Fiber shakes just made me constipated because I didn't follow these rules. I find taking triphala is helpful too.

Yeah, I'll second what cjb said about triphala or other means to strengthen the gut (L-Glutamine and Colostrum is how I did it myself but triphala seems to do the same thing). Before I got my gut strengthened and healthy, all the P&B shakes in the world just left me even more constipated then I was before I took them.

Thanks! I totally didnt know about taking L-Glutamine or triphala... I hope I can find them here in Argentina! *** How much and how often would I take those?***

***What do you guys think about making the pb shake with apple juice? *** I dont even have 100% apple juice down here, let alone organic. I guess it would help the taste a lot, and would the fiber I'm consuming offset the GI of the apple juice?

I just started this afternoon with 1 TB psyllium and 1 TB bentonite in 8 oz of water followed by 8 oz of water. *** How long does it take to see results? ***

Thanks! I totally didnt know about taking L-Glutamine or triphala... I hope I can find them here in Argentina! *** How much and how often would I take those?***

***What do you guys think about making the pb shake with apple juice? *** I dont even have 100% apple juice down here, let alone organic. I guess it would help the taste a lot, and would the fiber I'm consuming offset the GI of the apple juice?

I just started this afternoon with 1 TB psyllium and 1 TB bentonite in 8 oz of water followed by 8 oz of water. *** How long does it take to see results? ***

It's my understanding that l-glutamine and triphala serve somewhat different purposes. L-glutamine is to heal leaky gut. Triphala is a gentle laxative, and it supposed to help promote peristalsis. You can experiment with triphala dosage to see what works for you. Often the bottle will say to take 2 tablets with meals. I have found personally that it's more effective to take 3 500 mg tablets at night, sometime between dinner and bed. I think it's a great addition to a fiber shake regimen.

You're doing so well with your current diet, it would suck if the apple juice broke you out. I guess that's just something you have to decide for yourself. It certainly won't affect the effectiveness of the psyllium.

By "results," do you mean mucoid plaque? I got out a bit of mp after about a month of fiber shakes, but I have read some people's accounts of it taking much longer, and others much shorter-usually while fasting. I would just pay attention to what happens and not have any expectations. If it helps make you more regular or have more complete bowel movements, that's great. If it makes you constipated, figure out why because that's not what you want, obviously! That's why it's imperative to drink lots of water because psyllium can form a "plug." Flaxseed tea and/or slippery elm can help too if you find you're constipated as they have a nice slimy consistency that helps everything slither on through.

Acne-wise, I never saw any direct change from taking fiber. It was colonics that helped me.

Triphala is different then other laxatives in that it tones and strengthens the bowels, which is exactly what Glutamine does. With the help of glutamine supplementing and a high fiber diet I now have 2-3 full, easy BM's a day. And I've heard triphala being used for leaky gut. Anyways I think it's the leaky gut issue that contributes to constipation personally, atleast that's how it was in my own experience. Unfortunately I still have acne, but it seems the liver has been the missing link in my struggles - my bowels are seemingly healthy now after all.