Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cubense

BP once a day.

Okay.. so over the past 7 or 8 years i've tried everything i could possibly think of: Accutane, Proactiv (original and sensative skin line), Retin-A, oral anti-biotics, and a gigantic list of over-the-counter and perscription BP and salicylic acid washes, creams, and gels.

I can't remember what exact effects each product had, but generally things seem to work at first, but within a few weeks, stop working all together. The most clearing effects I had were from Proactiv.. yet after a few weeks, my face would be completely red and irritated, and eventually start peeling. As I've heard many times, their face wash is harsh as shit, and that's true. But even after substituting the wash for a more gentle, non-medicated facewash, my face still remained irritated.

I want to try the Clear Skin Regimen, but i'm afraid the BP will just make me red and flaky again. Another thing i worry about is the BP ruining all of my shirts. If you're sweating in the slightest and your face brushes against your shirt... you might as well throw it in the trash.

So my question is: Has anybody tried the Regimen, while using the BP ONLY at night?

I figure, using it before bed would eliminate the chance of bleaching my clothes... as well as possibly reduce irritation and redness. BUT, will skipping the BP in the morning cause me to break out?

If anybody else with very sensative skin has tried this, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!! Thanks!

Okay.. so over the past 7 or 8 years i've tried everything i could possibly think of: Accutane, Proactiv (original and sensative skin line), Retin-A, oral anti-biotics, and a gigantic list of over-the-counter and perscription BP and salicylic acid washes, creams, and gels.

I can't remember what exact effects each product had, but generally things seem to work at first, but within a few weeks, stop working all together. The most clearing effects I had were from Proactiv.. yet after a few weeks, my face would be completely red and irritated, and eventually start peeling. As I've heard many times, their face wash is harsh as shit, and that's true. But even after substituting the wash for a more gentle, non-medicated facewash, my face still remained irritated.

I want to try the Clear Skin Regimen, but i'm afraid the BP will just make me red and flaky again. Another thing i worry about is the BP ruining all of my shirts. If you're sweating in the slightest and your face brushes against your shirt... you might as well throw it in the trash.

So my question is: Has anybody tried the Regimen, while using the BP ONLY at night?

I figure, using it before bed would eliminate the chance of bleaching my clothes... as well as possibly reduce irritation and redness. BUT, will skipping the BP in the morning cause me to break out?

If anybody else with very sensative skin has tried this, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!! Thanks!

I have never had any problems with benzoyl peroxide bleaching my clothes because it has never gotten on my clothes.

Here's what I recommend: Start of gradually doing somewhat thin layers of benzoyl peroxide on spots. Let it be absorbed for fifteen minutes or so and then apply oil-free, non-comedogenic moisturizer. This will help prevent flaking. Now your acne most likely won't be resolved within the first week or so, but that's alright... you are prepping your skin for more intensive and widespread application of benzoyl peroxide. You certainly do not want to start off to fast. Now after a few days, you can try benzoyl peroxide in more than a few areas (e.g.: if areas look like they may begin to form whiteheads and etc., then apply some benzoyl peroxide on that area); eventually, you can do like the rest of us and apply it to your entire face (forehead, nose, cheeks, jaw, chin, area above upper lip) as well as your neck and perhaps back and chest. If you find out you are having skin reactions, try stopping the use of benzoyl peroxide or lowering the amount you use.

With your purchases, try to get 2.5% solutions because 5% or 10% solutions don't help any more, and may actually irritate the skin more. Good luck. Any more questions, just ask!

, John

PS: By the way, I have used Retin-A, oral antibiotics (doxycycline), Proactiv, and many other things. This regimen has helped quite a bit more than the others. Retin-A irritated my skin too much and Proactiv didn't really help whatsoever. My skin isn't really that sensitive, however.

Some people are able to get by with only using the Regimen at night, while others need the twice a day application to get clear and stay clear.

It will depend on the severity and persistence of your acne.

From the list of things you have tried and used in the past, I think it's probably fair to say that your acne is persistent.

The good thing about using 2.5% benzoyl peroxide is that it is so much less drying and irritating than all the other 5% and 10% formulations that most of us have tried and used in the past. And Dan's gel is the most soothing bp product I have ever used. Plus the fact that he recommends using a moisturizer with the bp really helps keep your skin in balance.

Give it a try! I've not had a big problem with my clothing getting bleached, but I know others have. So, my advice on that is to use white towels and sheets, and either put your shirt on before you apply your bp, or wait until your face is totally dry before pulling on a shirt. And always wash and dry your hands after putting on the bp and moisturizer before touching anything!!

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress!

I only do the regimen at nights and have found that that is enough for me. However, if your acne is anything more than very mild I would suggets doing it twice a day in order to get the full effect of the regimen.

Dryness is to be expected when you use BP which is why there is a moisturiser in the rgeimen, and espically at the start of the regimen many people finf they get very dry (I know I did) but whithin a few weeks your skin should adjust and the dryness should go down. To try to minimise these effects start off with only a tiny bit of BP and slowly work your way up, making sure you use plenty of moisturiser!

And I've never had a problem with clothes getting bleached either, but if your worried about this how about trying to keep BP away from your neck or other places where your clothes may make contact with your skin, and like Brandy said getting white towels and bed sheets would be a good idea!

Good Luck! :D

maybe it was just the proactiv products that were making me irritated. they are pretty harsh. but another reason i ask if anybody has tried just "nighttime" BP use, is because it seems to make me look pretty red for the time being... so i'd rather go about my day with a normal coloration rather than look like a glowing beat.

also, its not that my neck or face or whatnot rubs hard enough on my clothes to where the BP would actually effect them.. its just, as soon as you sweat, the BP perspires along with it.. just something you can't help. so i think nighttime use would make that less of a problem. the reason i take this into consideration, is that i sweat quite a lot, haha.

Well, you can try it out nightly and see if you get the results you want. But if you don't clear up, you will need to consider doing it twice daily.

well, a little while ago before the regimen i was using my stuff only at night because i thought you shouldnt apply it in the morning, but i found it didnt do a whole lot. i would still get lots of new pimples and stuff. however, it might be enough for you, it all depends on the person.

I've received some success emails from people who do the regimen just once a day, so it's possible. For me personally, every time I skip an application I'll experience at least a minor breakout, so I don't skip much. As far as your dryness and redness go, the regimen calls for a really good moisturizer, which is tough to find at this point, but cetaphil moisturizing lotion seems to do the trick well enough for now.

Me too. I find if I use it twice a day... my skin (regardless of the amount of moisturiser) becomes incredibly dry and has actually split (not a big split, tho) in places *ouch*.

I'm just concerned because I still seem to be getting the odd one or two pop up each day.

Guess I shouldn't make snap judgements being only three and a half weeks into the regimen. :)