Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mrs Neuvo Wavo

Tazorac gel .1% and photodamage

My husband is using Tazorac .1% gel as post Accutane maintenance. But I have a question about its effects on photodamage (AKA wrinkles, fine lines).

I read in one of labgirl's posts that Tazorac .1% cream has recently been approved for treating photodamage, but what about the gel?

Would Tazorac .1% gel not have a similar effect? It's the same amount of the same active ingredient, right?

Thanks!

well im no labgirl, but I have taken taz for about 5 months before (im doing photodynamic therapy now so im waiting until im done to get back on it) and my experience with it has been it has helped alot with sun damage spots and freckles, even that one weird wrinkle I have across my forehead. It also really shallowed the icepick scars I have and prevented me from getting any additional scaring from the active acne I had. I caused me to peel alot in the first month, and it would still usually peel for the months after but I would just exfoliate it off and it was fine for the rest of the day. So I guess it helps in that way because its constantly renewing the skin on your face adn getting rid of the old damaged crap that was there before. I'm not sure if the gel is really all that differnt, I think it might just be chemically altered to be in gel form for people who can't handle whatever ingrediant makes it cream? I've heard of people having the same side effects with both anyways when I researched it.

I think the gel is harsher.

It has aclohol in it. Which makes me wonder if it is smart to apply it to the delicate skin around my eyes.

Ooo for like developing crows feet? Yea, I'm not to sure if thats a good idea because it really burns and gets sore and sensitive if i even get the cream in that area. So if the gel is harsher I wouldn't go near the eye or mouth area with it. Its good for forhead wrinkles though and maybe laugh lines but I don't have any of those yet.

Ally, I used to use Retin-A .1% cream under my eyes.

It does burn initially. But if you just use a small amount it makes the area under your eyes look amazing. No fine lines, no dark circles etc. Makes you look 10 years younger.

I should just get Retin A again, but I have this Tazorac .1% gel handy so I was just wondering if anyone knew whether it was safe to use.

Oh, well. I guess no one's responding.

(Come on guys!)

Tazarotene has recently been approved for the treatment of photodamaged skin. Tazarotene has been shown in peer-reviewed double blinded studies to reduce: mottling and hyperpigmentation, sallowness, fine wrinkling and coarse wrinkling in sun damaged skin. Histological studies have shown that long term (greater than 1 year) use of Tazarotene is associated with a significant reduction in atypical melanocytes and keratinocytes - cells considered to be precursors of skin cancer. Some studies have shown long-term use of tazarotene to be associated with increased collagen production and better organization of skin collagen bundles.