Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tooshort

If a break out is from something you ingest, how can you...

... cut out that particular food if it takes 1-2 weeks for a breakout to occur? Unless you eat the same food for 2 weeks straight, how can you pinpoint exactle what type of food breaks you out. I know for certain that any food high in sugar will wreak havoc, but other than that, I have no idea how to find out what else to cut out. I just try to drink lots of water to help flush out everything.

Start a food journal. If you have a breakout, look back and see if there is anything you suspect. Maybe mark those days.

If you have another substantial breakout, once again, look over your food list and see if there is anything that matches the first example.

If you can't keep it all in your head, a food journal is a good thing!

You may find that you break out after ingesting something you are sensitive to within a matter of days and not weeks!

If you do, this will help you better pinpoint foods you consume. The longer your acne takes to develop as a result of a food that harder it is to pinpoint.

Of course if you set out intentionally to pinpoint what foods aggrevate your skin, then you would intentionally AVOID a given food/ingredient (100%) for a period of weeks and note any changes. Then you would intentionally consume this food for a period of weeks (like 1 - 2 weeks) and note any changes that occur.

The above is similar to how myself and others noticed connections to the foods we ate and didn't eat regarding acne development.

Sometimes a given food may only produce onetype of acne or in only onelocation on the body. These foods are good indicators if you are that observant about where your acne develops. However you may not notice these patterns until your skin is around 90% clear.

To get your skin around 90% clear or more, you must find your BIGGEST acne trigger. For me that was wheat/gluten. Avoidance of foods containing this (incidentally also contained dairy, transfats, and sugar) yielded me 95% clear skin. The other foods I avoided bumped me to 99% clear skin. I can't say 100% that it was purely the wheat/gluten, but I do know that I saw a HUGE change when that got kicked out of my diet. So much so that I was able to see that Dairy was a problem for me, while in previous years, when I avoided dairy, I never saw a difference.

All the best!

... cut out that particular food if it takes 1-2 weeks for a breakout to occur? Unless you eat the same food for 2 weeks straight, how can you pinpoint exactle what type of food breaks you out. I know for certain that any food high in sugar will wreak havoc, but other than that, I have no idea how to find out what else to cut out. I just try to drink lots of water to help flush out everything.

I notice a breakout in the evening of the day when I eat something high in sugar. I can feel the sebum coming through my pores right after eating the food.

When I was a teenager and my skin was dry, I would eat a piece of chocolate, and literally watch how every pore on my face released oil.

When I eat chocolate, all I see come over my face is a nice look of quiet satisfaction. Unless it's milk chocolate. Then I'll probably get some level of intestinal cramping and irritated bowels.