Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pff..

do you do this too?

I could have posted this on 'psychological' section of the forum but i feel its more in relation to scars and well, i feel more comfortable posting in the section where i am familiar with the other niks.

Im really frustrated with myself because it seems to me that the low self-esteem issues resulting from years of scarring run deeper than just the scars on my face.

With the expense of the current treatment i have had it seems to have really helped (so far so good, knock wood) with the rolling scars. Ok, so now the scarred pores, im on that..with various treatments. But now i find my attention focusing on other areas too, sorta saying to myself "ok your scars are getting better, but what about that wonky tooth u have, that needs fixed, and OMG I need some fillers in my cheeks cuz they look flat, and thinking my hair looks shit, my bum needs to be smaller" etc etc etc, basically ripping shreds into myself. I have been working out like a crazy woman at the gym, but nothing ever seems to be good enough. I feel i have to try look better in order to be equal to 'normal' people. Im obsessing about changing my body shape and facial features and hair.

I am realising the psychological effects of having been teased at school for having bad skin and the shame of scars into my adulthood have make me insecure in so many aspects of my appearance. Had i never had scars i dont think i would be as obsessive about this. I dont trust my mirror at all. I need to takle this because its definately a dysmorphic view of myself and im ashamed of how badly im disrespecting myself. I also seem to buy too many lotions and potions, im a con artists dream.

pff.

just wondered if this kind of thing happens with you guys...

I could have posted this on 'psychological' section of the forum but i feel its more in relation to scars and well, i feel more comfortable posting in the section where i am familiar with the other niks.

Im really frustrated with myself because it seems to me that the low self-esteem issues resulting from years of scarring run deeper than just the scars on my face.

With the expense of the current treatment i have had it seems to have really helped (so far so good, knock wood) with the rolling scars. Ok, so now the scarred pores, im on that..with various treatments. But now i find my attention focusing on other areas too, sorta saying to myself "ok your scars are getting better, but what about that wonky tooth u have, that needs fixed, and OMG I need some fillers in my cheeks cuz they look flat, and thinking my hair looks shit, my bum needs to be smaller" etc etc etc, basically ripping shreds into myself. I have been working out like a crazy woman at the gym, but nothing ever seems to be good enough. I feel i have to try look better in order to be equal to 'normal' people. Im obsessing about changing my body shape and facial features and hair.

I am realising the psychological effects of having been teased at school for having bad skin and the shame of scars into my adulthood have make me insecure in so many aspects of my appearance. Had i never had scars i dont think i would be as obsessive about this. I dont trust my mirror at all. I need to takle this because its definately a dysmorphic view of myself and im ashamed of how badly im disrespecting myself. I also seem to buy too many lotions and potions, im a con artists dream.

pff.

yes..... Sometimes i wonder if obsessive perusal of acne.org isn't causing it all!

pff.

I completely understand and am totally like that. I am almost worried about if I get my skin to a point where I am happy with it will I just turn to something else like want to get my neck liposuctioned so that I can get rid of the saggy neck that started happening now that I'm in my thirties. I also look at my cheeks all the time wishing I could get (or have the nerve and money to get) cheek implants because my cheeks are very flat. My skin is my biggest issue so it kind of takes the focus off of other things I'd like to fix. But I wonder if once I start "fixing" things, will I be able to stop?

It is most likely dysmorphic like you said. The longer you look and obsess about something, the less you are really able to see it correctly. If you stared at someone whom you thought was perfect looking day after day and really picked them apart, I bet you would end up seeing that same distortion. I understand that it is something I do and I know what I should be doing to stop it. I tend to stare at my imperfections a lot and often at the worst angles and the worst lighting to see if they are really as bad as I think. And of course they appear to be which sends me into a downward spiral. And it doesn't help that everyone you see on TV and in movies is perfect. That is another very distorted view. I am almost looking forward to being 70 or 80 yrs. old when you really don't have to look good anymore.

Anyhow, you are not alone!

ah well.

its not everyday, but yes some days i just wish i had a ton of cash to do lots of things to myself. but whos knows where it would end eh?

definately work needed on the inside me thinks ;)

Im in my 30's too, i think its that i feel so near (but not at the end by any means) of some kind of scar correction and i feel a little sad for my 'lost' 20's from having so many bad days over my skin. I know i would have enjoyed the last ten or so years much better if i had not been constantly aware of my flawed skin texture.

I also get angry sometimes at the medical world for not having more progress in scar revision. I realise there are more 'life or death' problems to deal with, and that it seems a superficial problem, but half of us are so upset about our skin we arent living full lives.

I could go on forever ...lol..so ill stop here.

Ohhhhh I so agree.......It just seems if I had an unlimited money source...I would not be able to stop improvements to myself...You know.....Soooo yes....I do know just how that feels Zombie..I feel like that many days out of a month.... :boohoo: