Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
D@n

"All acne is caused by hormones in males and females"

"All acne is caused by hormones in males and females"  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think acne is caused by hormones?

• Yes
    • No (state why)

Yes and no. In females 95% yes but in males only when they are teens...if a male is over 20-21 and still has acne it isn't hormones most of the time, it's just that his skin was too sensitive in the first place to have acne and it continued post puberty. But if acne is cystic...hormones don't really matter since that's already considered like a skin disease, yes acne of any kind is a skin disease (except very mild) but I think you know what I mean.

I hardly see adult males in their 20s and very rarely in their 30s and up to have acne. But I see tons of adult females with acne.

I've had my hormones checked and they came out fine yet I have cystic acne. I am sure for SOME people that is not the case.

I've had my hormones checked and they came out fine yet I have cystic acne. I am sure for SOME people that is not the case.

Me too, but my doc said that it was still caused by hormones. Of course being a GP she didn't give me more than 30 seconds to ask her exactly what she means. However, I think the problem is sometimes in our skins response to what are normal hormone levels, rather than actually having abnormal hormone levels.

When I had acne my hormone levels always tested normal but it was hormone therapy that cleared me up.

i think its both for me. Hormones because I got acne early on, and its when I started getting my period and big boobs before everyone else did. Then I also think its just my skin sucking ass at getting rid of the dead skin and being naturally really greasy.

i said no but i think its a mixture. Yes because the main cause of acne is from the hormones, but no because if u have acne the daily things u do affect it too. Dirt, touching face, even the air will clog ur pores so i think its kinda like if u have acne, daily things make it worse which are not hormonal. But the actual root of it is hormones.

A good book to read is THE HORMONALLY VULNERABLE WOMAN by Geoffrey Redmond. It explains how hormone blood tests can show up as "normal," but it doesn't necessarily mean that those levels are normal for your own particular body.

When I had acne my hormone levels always tested normal but it was hormone therapy that cleared me up.

How did you have that done and how did you get your doc to go for it? I've had acne since I began puberty (I'm 43 now) and my mom had it until she went through menopause. I'm convinced it's mostly hormones in my case, especially since it goes in monthly cycles. Birth control pills only help a little.

i said no but i think its a mixture. Yes because the main cause of acne is from the hormones, but no because if u have acne the daily things u do affect it too. Dirt, touching face, even the air will clog ur pores so i think its kinda like if u have acne, daily things make it worse which are not hormonal. But the actual root of it is hormones.

I don't agree with this reasoning. If that is true, little kids, who are out playing outdoors, scrambling in dirt and mud and dust, and picking their noses and all that filthy stuff, should have the worst acne of all. But I've never seen a prepubescent kid with acne. That is the only time my face looked good!

I just asked our family doctor. She was all for the testing. My daughter hasn't had it done yet. So that wasn't a problem. What I find is a problem is getting a doctor to treat acne hormonally.

A good book to read is THE HORMONALLY VULNERABLE WOMAN by Geoffrey Redmond. It explains how hormone blood tests can show up as "normal," but it doesn't necessarily mean that those levels are normal for your own particular body.

Acne is caused by hormones which make the oil glands produce too much and cause acne. I can say with 100% reliability that diet, exercise, and vitamins u take to stay healthy play 0% into the reason for getting the acne. I have had a GREAT diet and broke out bad at the same time as I was in great shape. I have eaten good and bad and still got acne the same. I have washed my sheets and pillows and not washed them for awhile and the acne stayed the same. Its all about oil production and that comes from hormones. Unless someone on here broke out pre 11 yrs old then their acne is from hormones.

whats hormone therapy?

Well, I'm an old lady now ;) but had bad acne from 17 - 20 when I read a book about how hormones therapy could help acne. So I got my doctor to put me on a high estrogen bc pill. I cleared up immediately. So hormone therapy to me is a combo of a bc pill and perhaps an androgen blocker like aldactone or spironolactone. I keep thinking that it could work for my daughter in some form. However, she tried ortho-tri-cyclen and had to go on accutane after that cause her skin got so bad.

For females, consider PCOS...Policystic Ovarian Syndrome...

I'd like to understand what the hell is the damn debate between doctors and hormonal acne therapy...If anyone knows: Why is it that only a handful of doctors treat acne in this manner...?

Yes and no. Of course hormones play a role - ask any girl who is on her period. But I think there are external factors, such as sweat and skin sensitivity.

For females, consider PCOS...Policystic Ovarian Syndrome...

I'd like to understand what the hell is the damn debate between doctors and hormonal acne therapy...If anyone knows: Why is it that only a handful of doctors treat acne in this manner...?

Yeah, I made an appt. today with a PCOS expert in Irvine, CA

I have read that most acne is caused by an abnormal response (genetic) to normal testosterone levels. Of course some may experience acne as a side effect of other conditions, i.e. PCOS