Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Elephant Max

interesting:Higher body mass index is a significant risk factor for acne formation in schoolchildren.

1: Eur J Dermatol. 2006 May-Jun;16(3):251-3. Related Articles, Links

Higher body mass index is a significant risk factor for acne formation in schoolchildren.

Tsai MC, Chen W, Cheng YW, Wang CY, Chen GY, Hsu TJ.

Department of Dermatology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung, Ta-Pei Road 123, Niao-Sung, 83301 Kaohsiung, Chang Gung University, Taoyuon, Taiwan. [email protected]

Obesity is frequently accompanied by peripheral hyperandrogenism, which may be associated with increased sebum production and the development of severe acne. Body mass index (BMI) is one of the most accurate ways to measure and determine obesity. The aim of the present study was to study the correlation between obesity and the point prevalence and patterns of acne in schoolchildren. A total of 3,274 children (aged 6-11 years) from Magong Township were examined by two board-certified dermatologists. The acne prevalence was 7.3%, with more girls affected than boys (ratio = 1.5). Comedones were more commonly observed than inflammatory acne (10.4% vs. 6.9%). The mean of BMI in non-acne students (18.2 +/- 3.4) was significantly lower than that in acne subjects (19.5 +/- 3.7), without gender difference. Overall schoolchildren with a BMI < 18.5 had less prevalence rate of acne, especially the inflammatory lesions, while those with a BMI-for-age >/= 95% had a significantly higher rate of acne development.

PMID: 16709487 [PubMed - in process]

Does anybody have the full text? obesity is accompanied by peripheral hyperandrogenism? Really?

interesting notion...

but my body fat percentage has always been below 15% since i was a child, and i developed acne when i was 10 years old.

i'm now 24, 5'9" and 10st exactly. (ie i am athletically slim!) i still have acne.

weight has had nothing to do with it as far as i'm concerned.

That's interesting in theory, but in practice it really seems like the thinnest kids have the most/worst acne (i can attest to that personally). It seems to contradict a lot of people's experiences here.

That's interesting in theory, but in practice it really seems like the thinnest kids have the most/worst acne (i can attest to that personally). It seems to contradict a lot of people's experiences here.

we cant say that for sure unless there was a study showing that thin people got less acne, i was overweight when i got acne and was underweight when i lost it. You cant just rely on anecdote,it could just be that more underweight people frequent this site, how would we know? Its not controlled, too many variables. Remember this study was done in children. You guys are probably older than that so this doesn't necessarily apply.

we cant say that for sure unless there was a study showing that thin people got less acne, i was overweight when i got acne and was underweight when i lost it. You cant just rely on anecdote,it could just be that more underweight people frequent this site, how would we know? Its not controlled, too many variables. Remember this study was done in children. You guys are probably older than that so this doesn't necessarily apply.

Oh, I know. I'm just saying from personal experience when I was in high school and growing up.

I had an anorexic BMI when my severe nodular acne manifested. Not that i was an anorexic mind you, i just had a very fast metabolism and was really active and skinny. There may be a coorelation between obesity and acne, but it can't be the whole story.

Women with high androgen levels (and consequently, more acne) tend to have thinner 'androgenous' bodies, so this seems counterintuitive. But I guess that excess fat leads to excess androgens, but excess androgens do not lead to excess fat

I noticed the average BMIs for the 2 groups are not that different (without acne = 18.2, with acne = 19.5). 19.5 is on the low end of the normal BMI range (and based on the +/- 3.7 - some kids in the acne group have BMIs as low as 16, which is underweight).

I'm quite skinny and still have acne.. Although it is not severe.

However, my brother is a bit fatter than me (he was a bit chubby in the face too) and he had much worse acne than me when he was a teen, but that's probably just coincidence.

Wow, those researchers aren't too bright. They obviously can't control for when puberty hits. Puberty leads to weight gain and acne, therefore the kids who have begun going through puberty are both heavier and have more acne. Give the skinny kids a few more years and they'll go through puberty, gain some normal pounds and get some pimples if that's in the cards.

Wow, those researchers aren't too bright. They obviously can't control for when puberty hits. Puberty leads to weight gain and acne, therefore the kids who have begun going through puberty are both heavier and have more acne. Give the skinny kids a few more years and they'll go through puberty, gain some normal pounds and get some pimples if that's in the cards.

You're completely right! How could they compare a 6 year old to an eleven year old??? I didn't even know what acne was when I was 6...when I was 11, I got acne.

Guest UglyassmofoII

IM skinny and always have been i still ahve bad skin