Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Femina Mala Est

According to Dan, There is No Link Between Diet and Acne

Myth: Acne is related to diet

Reality: Prevailing wisdom in the dermatology community is that diet and acne are not related. Of course science is never a 100% reliable enterprise. But at this time, there is no evidence that chocolate, sugar, oil, milk, seafood, or any other food causes acne. Some people absolutely insist that a certain food causes acne for them, or that a specific acne diet works for them. In this case, doctors sometimes recommend that they avoid that food or follow that diet. Regarding chocolate specifically, several studies have been performed, and the answer to "does chocolate cause pimples?" is a resounding "No".

link

I don't really care personally. I haven't even had acne since I was 17, but I found this interesting, considering it does not seem to be the majority opinion on this part of the board.

people do find corrolations with acne any anything tho dont they

like the masturbation/acne theory

or the "if i eat mango il get acne" theory

someone asked me recently if because they sometimes lie, they feel acne is a punishment for that, and if they stop lying they wil clear up......

people seem to find corrolations with acne any anything

i used 2 think if i masturbated id have "bad luck" for the next few days.....and i honestly believed it lol.

human mind is a great thing but at the same time. sometimes i wonder about people these days hehe.

Dan didn't, but other's have.

I am definately grateful that he allowed this forum to exist on his board.

Many people have been helped because of it!

:D

In his thread entitled "my experience with diet and acne" he says

"I spent many years avoiding foods sometimes considered "bad" for acne including chocolate, sugar, and fried foods. Basically, whatever I would read someone say caused acne for them I would immediately cut out of my diet. This created a lot of stress and social embarassment at times. The worst part is that none of my diet restrictions ever helped my acne. Now I can stay completely clear with the regimen and eat whatever I want. "

So his personel experience suggests that he didn't find a link between diet and acne.

That's Dan's experience and by no means law. Everyone has different problems and different causes and when anyone says "Diet and acne aren't related" and speal for all people everywhere, well, that's just stupid.

Personally, I have a strong direct cause to diet. Mainly fish, fish oil, or flax oil. If I have a piece of fish, especially salmon, I will break out in 4-5 pimpls/cysts the next say and an additional 4-5 the following day.

My mistake was believing that there wasn't an acne/diet correlation and I paid dearly for it.

I made my connection about a month ago and since I have been 99% clear with just clogged pores and redmarks to deal with.

Honestly, it's just sad that people tear each other down over things like this. Someone finds a diet connection and others tear them down and say Placebo or that Diet is just a myth.

I mean, seriously, how can someone say diet doesn't affect their body? Whether it manifests itself in acne is debateable and individual.

I agree with that, also. Why does everyone keep arguing over this topic like little children. Everyone is different. Diet affects acne for some, for others it doesnt. Everyone needs to just stop making bold, generalized statements about it and then attacking others who dont agree.

Honestly, it's just sad that people tear each other down over things like this. Someone finds a diet connection and others tear them down and say Placebo or that Diet is just a myth.

I think you'll find that goes both ways. When people on this site state that they don't find a correlation between acne and diet they get told they are wrong / avoiding the wrong foods / not drinking enough water / not taking enough supplements / just too lazy / want a quick fix etc etc. Maybe time to call a truce!

Well, it certainly made no difference to me. My acne went away a long time ago in spite of the fact that I never made any change to my diet at all. When I contracted acne and then when it got really bad before that, I had made no change to my diet at all. The only culprits were puberty and possibly an inflammatory reaction to topical medications.

In my opinion, it's not a matter of what people eat...it's how they eat.

I only focus on avoiding sugar since it causes tooth decay...not because I think it spikes my blood sugar (wheat spikes your blood sugar more than table sugar).

That is why people have a misconception of diet/acne. It's not really what you eat...it's how your blood sugar is affected. Maybe "diet=acne" shouldn't be used as opposed to "diabetes/pre-diabetes=acne".

I agree with that, also. Why does everyone keep arguing over this topic like little children. Everyone is different. Diet affects acne for some, for others it doesnt. Everyone needs to just stop making bold, generalized statements about it and then attacking others who dont agree.

Yeah, I agree. For me diet definatley affects me in some things. Like eating chocolate breaks me out. Some people dont have any breakouts from what they eat, but I do.

Only good food, sleep and no stress will improve your skin.

For example

Tom cruise and brad pitt are 42 years old and look like 30 years old because low stress.

The world is run by criminals who stress others.

So go to sleep, relax and all acne will go away.

Eat well and exercise daily.

Treat yourself like a God!

IPB Image

IPB Image

Only good food, sleep and no stress will improve your skin.

For example

Tom cruise and brad pitt are 42 years old and look like 30 years old because low stress.

The world is run by criminals who stress others.

So go to sleep, relax and all acne will go away.

Eat well and exercise daily.

Treat yourself like a God!

IPB Image

IPB Image

I like what u've said there. "Treat yourself like a God!", by doing that u avoid foods generally known to cause bad health plus you get the exercise and everything good for u which will idd make u look good too.

On the topic about diet, I have to say I am one of those people where diet affects my skin. I remember when I was eathing foods such as milk, friend foods and NO fruit for days, my forehead was aboslutely gross. Now that I've had a diet change, cut out milk, fried foods, sugar and eat about 5 fruits a day, my skin is acne free. Ofcourse there is the odd day when I have high sugary food and I break out but in general my skins is acne free (just healing the scars of that forehead).

Yeah I agree, everyone is different . Diet affects MY skin. I spent several months keeping a food journal which helped me discover which foods make me break out. That has saved me from dreading to look in the mirror in the morning in anticipation of seeing new spots.

I agree with Ell. Diet is my acne trigger. I also kept a diary and found out that wheat makes my skin break out and affects me in other ways.

Everyone is different and whatever works for you, stick to it. Dont let yourself be guided by others- as Dan did:

"I spent many years avoiding foods sometimes considered "bad" for acne including chocolate, sugar, and fried foods. Basically, whatever I would read someone say caused acne for them I would immediately cut out of my diet. This created a lot of stress and social embarassment at times. The worst part is that none of my diet restrictions ever helped my acne. Now I can stay completely clear with the regimen and eat whatever I want. "

Read all the info you can, and keep a diary. Pay attention to when you break out, and your lifestyle, diet, menstrual cycle, stress levels etc every day and write it down. If you notice a pattern emerging, a relationship between factors and breakouts, cut out whatever it is that affects you. Its your body, listen to it.

How come eating "wrong" foods can cause hives then :think: in sum people.

It may not be to do with diet it could be just how quick your body digests an cleanses itself and metabolises fat, different foods would cause different outcomes in people cause each food is digested differently in each person, which is why everyone gets diferent results with diets.

If acne can be cured internally by accutane - there has to be a natural way..

ANYWAY IM HAPPY :D my acne is goin :) cudnt b betr ;)

I dont care how many times people say it, i still believe diet and digestion is a MAJOR cause!

I regret believing the non existing fact that there's no connection between acne and diet. I would've saved so much of my skin and overall health.

Well, better sooner than later. At least now I know how to treat myself and doctors ("talk to my hand").

I regret believing the non existing fact that there's no connection between acne and diet. I would've saved so much of my skin and overall health.

Well, better sooner than later. At least now I know how to treat myself and doctors ("talk to my hand").

:clap: im happy things are lookin up for you ....well said :D

Before I broke out at 19 I ate anything I wanted, drank anything I wanted... sugar, milk, faaattttt... ANYTHING, and never broke out. Ever since I broke out my life has been one big constant worry about what I'm eating and what I'm putting on my face.. I hate it, I long to be care free once again.