Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I agree that food can aggravate acne at least it does for me. I break out badley on my neck if I eat nuts or pork products and too much sugar is not good either. And it all depends on the person and their system. None of that stuff bothers my kids skin but it sure does mine!

the site is not a peer reviewed scientific site. it does not reflect a study in any published journal of medicine and does not have a significant test base other than the one person.

while some people are sensitive this is not substantial data to make a case.

please refrain from making sweeping generalizations.

thank you

the irriated over the diet thing. we girls have enough to worry about without cutting out food thank you very much.

and p.s. sugar natural or otherwise is in almost anything.

In general, it is no longer felt that dietary products have any influence on acne. Chocolate, caffeine, or fats are not statistically related to causing acne based on overall studies. There may be some individual differences in that certain foods do flare up acne lesions and if you determine that you are sensitive to something, discontinuing that food is the recommended.

Eating a healthy diet and drinking plenty of water along with getting regular exercise will improve how you feel and your skin looks, but acne is a result of overly excited sebaceous glands.

Sebaceous glands may have excess oil production due to:

* Hormones (Androgens, which are sex hormones and are released during puberty and throughout life, excite sebaceous glands)

* Heat (Body heat and increased circulation, such as from vigorous exercise, may stimulate the sebaceous glands to release more sebum)

* Friction (Tight clothing, chin straps, head bands, or bra straps, can irritate the skin and stimulate the sebaceous glands to release oil)

* Irritation (Over scrubbing or using harsh cleansers can irritate the skin and dry it out excessively, stimulating the sebaceous glands to react)

* Poor Diet (Our bodies are fueled by a balanced diet, Vitamins A and E are important to the elasticity and health of the skin)

I am simply trying to point out that certain foods can irritate acne. It was not a generalization, merely a isolated story about one person. I was not saying that sugar has the same effect on every, but some food do however have a negative effect on some people.

I am simply trying to point out that certain foods can irritate acne. It was not a generalization, merely a isolated story about one person. I was not saying that sugar has the same effect on every, but some food do however have a negative effect on some people.

I agree with you. While other people may deny it, Diet DOES affect acne. If you can't accept that, then fine.

I eat a very healthy organic, low sugar diet, and my skin is spotless. The only time I break out is if I get lazy and eat crappy sugary foods. Of course I do get the occasional pimple, but they go away so much faster, and 1 pimple every once in a while is nothing.

In general, it is no longer felt that dietary products have any influence on acne. Chocolate, caffeine, or fats are not statistically related to causing acne based on overall studies. There may be some individual differences in that certain foods do flare up acne lesions and if you determine that you are sensitive to something, discontinuing that food is the recommended.

Eating a healthy diet and drinking plenty of water along with getting regular exercise will improve how you feel and your skin looks, but acne is a result of overly excited sebaceous glands.

Sebaceous glands may have excess oil production due to:

* Hormones (Androgens, which are sex hormones and are released during puberty and throughout life, excite sebaceous glands)

* Heat (Body heat and increased circulation, such as from vigorous exercise, may stimulate the sebaceous glands to release more sebum)

* Friction (Tight clothing, chin straps, head bands, or bra straps, can irritate the skin and stimulate the sebaceous glands to release oil)

* Irritation (Over scrubbing or using harsh cleansers can irritate the skin and dry it out excessively, stimulating the sebaceous glands to react)

* Poor Diet (Our bodies are fueled by a balanced diet, Vitamins A and E are important to the elasticity and health of the skin)

LOL, what website did you cut and paste that from?

There are dietary studies being done all the time making different connections, but they aren't conclusive because acne research in general is pretty underwhelming.

"Over scrubbing or using harsh cleansers can irritate the skin and dry it out excessively, stimulating the sebaceous glands to react)"...wrong, drying out the skin doesn't make the skin produce more oil. We have known this for about 50 years, I believe. (Why does the same crap get posted over and over again?)

And acne is not a result of overactive sebaceous glands for everyone (please don't generalize).

I have dryer skin and do not have overactive sebaceous glands, yet I have had acne and have always been careful to avoid irriatation. I have made huge, direct connections to certain foods. My acne was at its worst when I thought food didn't influence my acne. I found that it did.

Bottom line, diet does effect *some* people's acne and for some it doesn't. Is it really that difficult to understand?

How could simply sugar effect the body in such a way? It would seem like he had more of a food allergy which caused his acne to flare up. And judging by his writing, he had very extreme acne. I don't eat a lot of sugar and I still get acne. What if somebody fasted and only drank water for a week? Would their acne clear up? It just doesn't seem plausible. There is more to it. Plus the fact that there are no pictures or written documentation from the dermatologist makes me doubt this even further.

I'm not saying diet doesn't affect acne, because I believe it does as well. However, our bodies are complicated. I don't think that cutting out sugar is the miracle. It may be for some people. But for the rest of us it's not going to help. I could try it myself, but I think mine is more hormonal. The only way to fix that is to balance out the hormones.

* I'd also like to note that in his diet, it states that he eats fruit. Fruit naturally contains sugar! And drinking DIET soda is way worse than drinking regular soda. The fake sugar in diet soda is soooo bad for you.

^well, duh. Not all sugar is the same, though. Fruit sugar is very low in GI/GL (GL is usually 5 or less). WHen people say sugar, they oftentimes mean artificial sugar like he does in the article.

ALL carbohydrates are sugar. That what a carb is after digestion. You can't avoid sugar (your brain nees glucose) but the source makes a huge difference in it s digestion and affect on the body

I agree with chris on this one. This is not something that everyone should switch to, i don't think anyone should switch to eating NO sugar; but we could all be a little healthier and feel a little better during the day if we watched what we ate. Diet effects everyone differently, some people can eat whatever they want and notice no difference in their acne.

for those of you who are trying to stay away from the sugar a little more, i find it hardest for me to say no to the "night time dessert (could be a milkshake, peice of cake, whatever)." Something to help you say no would be to brush your teeth, so the milkshake would taste bad. this could also help us say no because we are too lazy to have to go back to our bathroom and brush again.

I have to use flouride wash (orthodontist reccomends with braces), and this says that i cannot eat for another 30 minuites. suits me.

Hoped i helped SOMEONE..

I believe diet does effect acne to a certain extent.. cant go around drinking tons of soda and eating greasy chips and think your skin isnt going to be effected... its part of your body.. what you put in it will effect it, i just think its common sense.