Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In my experience, anything involving laser makes my acne worse.

I want to try Fraxel for my scars, but I NEED to ask around and see if it made anyone's acne worse.

PLEASE let me know if it made your acne worse.

My dermatologist barely told me a damn thing about it.

I'm older and don't have acne, but do get occasional pimples. Oddly enough, after my second fraxel I did get a few pimples in my chin area, where I never had pimples when younger. Fortunately, they heal quickly when I apply Tretinoin and BP after they come to surface. I wish these drugs had been available in the 1960s. But, I did not have access to healthcare then anyway.

I have no idea how this might affect you. In fact, it could have a postive effect. Good luck.

Yes, it definitely will make your acne worse (how much, who knows?) until you completely heal from it. You go through a brief (~ 3 days) dry period about 4 days after your treatment, which might help if your skin is oily, but then the oil returns and you break out more because your skin is red and irritated. I've experienced this with both fraxel and CO2 laser resurfacing.

awwwww shit.

well...how about peels performed at the derm's office? do those help with scars? God damn it, if it helps with one thing, it fucks up another thing. it's a freaken neverending, depressing cycle.

peels? anyone had luck with saying goodbye to scars with peels? and no acne as a result???

made my acne slightly worse but also made my scars worse. It's an ablative laser, really strong stuff.. i don't know where they get off saying it's "safe" when it leaves your face so swollen that it's hard to touch and move your mouth. with some bleeding spots.

made my acne slightly worse but also made my scars worse. It's an ablative laser, really strong stuff.. i don't know where they get off saying it's "safe" when it leaves your face so swollen that it's hard to touch and move your mouth. with some bleeding spots.

Ugh....dont want to hear that since I am going for my first session on Tuesday. :(

I broke out worse and have since doing the Fraxel. For me, it's a double edged sword. I know that the fraxel is helping with the scarring. I didn't see it at first but doing it after having done 3 smoothbeams and 5 cooltouches, two weeks later I actually do see the collagen kicking in to do it's job. So, now I am convinced that all these laser treatments, even though they are different, have a cumulative effect on the collagen production and scar healing.

That being said, I think that my doctor's office to approach my (first) fraxel more conservatively, especially around my mouth and chin area (the area covered by a dust mask) aggravated my acne. Unlike smoothbeam and cooltouch lasers, that seemed to help with reducing acne and oil production, the Fraxel laser seemed to aggravate those pores around my mouth and chin and I broke out all over in that whole area. Not all at once, but two or three new ones a day for the last two weeks -- it adds up. Now those comedones weren't huge and didn't necessarily last long, but they did leave behind more red marks. The red marks and scars are what the Fraxel is supposed to be healing so it seems like a viscious cycle.

But for me, all lasers don't do this. And I think that, as someone suggested, my first Fraxel laser wasn't intense enough, especially in that area I broke out. Another thing is, I won't be using any of that cream they gave me next time, if I do it again. I will either use a much lighter cream like Cetaphil cream or I will use Jojoba oil. They did tell me to wrap my face in really cold, wet towels which I didn't do very much. When I did, I saw a much quicker improvement -- so I'll be doing a LOT more of that next time. But I think the key is finding a balance of intensity -- not enough is almost worthless and too much is overkill.

I keep debating whether to do a second fraxel now or wait until the fall. They are VERY expensive and I'm not currently working to pay for it -- it's coming from our savings.

I got some other quotes from another practitioner for smoothbeam and Gentle Yag and I'm going to see my Derm about a Vbeam quote. They all do different things, have different targets, but I do find the effects of all the lasers cumulative, like I mentioned before. Just try to have the practitiner find that balance between not intense enough and too intense. If you can find a good target range for your individual needs, it will be much more successful, IMO.

I did notice a few extra pimples after my first session. Nothing major since they were gone the very next day. My doctor said that is very common after your first treatment. It shows the laser has effected your skin so it is a good thing. =)

Arent u supposed to be completely acne free to get fraxel done? I would imagine almost anytihng would make your skin break out with active acne already present, especially having to rub cremes and different things on.

Arent u supposed to be completely acne free to get fraxel done? I would imagine almost anytihng would make your skin break out with active acne already present, especially having to rub cremes and different things on.

Your right, your not suppose to have active acne if your having Fraxel done.

Your right, your not suppose to have active acne if your having Fraxel done.

I don't. The doctor said its normal. I have no active acne.

I have had four fraxels, almost three months ago. I didn't do it for acne, but I did have some acne scars on my chin that I was hoping to improve along with fine wrinkles, texture problems, etc.

At the time of my first fraxel, I had two large zits on my chin and some smaller ones around my nose, the Dr. commented on them, but didn't say anything one way or the other. The only nuisance was that the blue dye really gets in them, and lasted for a couple of days. He cautioned me not to pick or rub or overly scrub them trying to remove the blue.

About four days after the fraxel, they were almost heeled perfectly but I had probably 20 small milia type things around my nose and upper lip.

He had given me a cream for this, Fucidin. It worked a treat, and in a few days everything was clear. I broke out like this, with milia, after each tx. and I would apply the Fucidin very sparingly. He said it also helps with redness and itching.

Hope this helps.

Peach

I'm acne prone and was having some breakouts before I started having Fraxel treatments. After a treatment the milia come to the surface and are swept away when I wash my face. I break out with maybe one or 2 small pimples but nothing major. Its probably just the dried out peeling skin and the oils I have to use on it for moisture, but all is good within a few days. In fact, my breakouts have stopped since I started doing Fraxel treatments, 'cept for the occasional spot. :wavey: