Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
willow569

doxycycline study

20 mg Doxycycline Improves Acne

Researchers have found that 20 mg of doxycycline is an effective treatment for moderate acne as it significantly reduces the number of lesions in patients.

Previous studies show doxycycline treatment at doses of 100 milligrams to 200 milligrams a day reduces the number and severity of inflammatory lesions. However, these antimicrobial doses are often associated with the emergence of resistant bacteria and adverse effects, such as vaginal candidiasis and gastrointestinal upset.

As part of the multicenter trial, 44 patients were randomized to receive either 20 milligrams of SD doxycycline or a placebo twice a day for six months. After six months, the treatment group had an average 50-percent greater reduction in the number of inflammatory lesions while the placebo group had an average 30-percent reduction. The average reduction in the number of noninflammatory lesions was 54 percent in the treatment group and 11 percent in the placebo group. In the number of all lesions combined, the average reduction after six months was 52 percent in the doxycycline group and 18 percent in the placebo group.

Researchers also found doxycycline was well tolerated, had no detectable antimicrobial effect, and did not result in the emergence of resistant organisms. The repost is published in the Archives of Dermatology (2003;139:459-464).

I remember reading a post where someone asked why they were prescribed such a low dose of doxy. Maybe this is why?

And I wonder why the difference in lesion reductions was greater between the two groups for non-inflammatory acne lesions than it was for inflammatory lesions? 54% vs 11% is a pretty striking difference.

I wonder how the low dose compares to the standard higher dose of 100-200 mg??

I was on 100mg per day plus benzamycin and it did nothing. I went up to 200mg per day plus benzamycin and my acne was all gone in about 4 weeks. After a year or so of this i noticed more breakouts than usual. Then I came off that regimen anyway due to supply problems. I was briefly on the same regimen in 2004 and it did very little, so I assume I had become resistant to the doxycycline