Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shake Off the Dust  Arise

whats the best way to unclog pores

How bad are your blocked pores? You might consider an over the counter rentioid product such as Green cream. There are also prescription retinoids that are good for unblocking pores (Differin, Retin-A). Mandelic acid products are also very good at clearing out your pores - it worked wonders on the pores around my nose.

The mandelic acid is not as harsh as it sounds. It is less irritating than other glycolic acids, and also has antibacterial properties - good for preventing acne breakouts. Check out some of the mandelic threads on this site. Personally, I have not found masks to be all that effective in eliminating or preventing blocked pores - they can actually be very drying, esp. if you use them frequently. If you still want to try a mask though, there are a number of threads on these message boards that discuss clay masks. Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask is one that lots of people like, (I use it for spot treatment sometimes) and its very inexpensive too. Good luck with whatever you decide to try!

kool thanks..

some one told me about a sulphur clay mask..

Where can i get the masks and the mandelic acid you listed above??

Is the acid cheap?

-thanks

You should be able to find the queen helene mask at most drug stores. I've seen it at Walgreen's. The mandelic varies in price. I use NuCelle. I think one of the sites that sells their products carries sample bottles - enough for you to test it to see if you like it. The sample was pretty inexpensive I think. The full bottle is $30, but it will last a long time. There are a couple of other makers of mandelic acid (Garden of Wisdom is one of them).

I have never found the clay masks very effective against clogged pores. Also, especially with the ones that contain sulfur, there is a real danger of over-drying your skin ... which will only lead to MORE breakouts. I only recommend those masks for spot-treating inflamed pimples.

The cheapest method for unblocking pores that I know is exfoliation with a synthetic brush. There's a huge thread about this in the OTC forum (see "jessfoliation" link in my sig). This works well for many people, but is not enough by itself for me.

If you have bumpy skin due to comedones beneath the surface, the best way to get them out is with a mild retinoid: Green Cream or Diacneal. You can buy Diacneal online or on eBay. GC is available from several different vendors. I have bought from both Linda Sy and Diana Yvonne. See links in my sig. If you are interested in GC, I suggest checking out the GC thread in the OTC forum, as there are some things you need to know before you buy.

If you have congested pores and/or blackheads, mandelic acid and salicylic acid products work wonders. If you have oily skin I recommend the Vivant mandelic acid sold by Diana Yvonne. If you have dry skin, or want something gentle enough to use with other active products, I recommend the alcohol-free mandelic serums made by Garden of Wisdom (link in my sig). Another good option is the Paula's Choice BHA gel (salicylic acid). There is a mandelic acid thread in this forum with lots of good info.

You may have to experiment a bit to find out what works for you. Try to buy samples whenever possible before investing in a full-size product .... neither GC nor mandelic serum is cheap. Effective, yes ..... but not cheap.

i was able to easily squeeze all the stuff out of at least 40 50 blackheads and white heads by just keeping my face hydrated for only two weeks, i keep it hydrated now and i dont get them anymore too.just make sure all your products if yo uuse any are all non-comedogenic, and find your self a moisturizer that is oil-free(so you're not shinny) and non-comedogenic; make sure you put it on in hte morning after washing your face then after about twoo weeks of that you can easliy squeeze them out.just be real gentle.theres a tool sold in alot of stores that works hella good for blackheads, it has holes on both ends tha tyo ucan use too, but you wont be able to get the stuff out either way if its not soft enough.so moisturize daily for like 2 weeks or more before you try.drinking alot of water keeps your skin hydrated too, and staying out of hot water for long periods of time like in the shower.that can dry you skin out also.you need a healthy skin barrier to keep your pores from clogging and if you be gentle while cleansing and moisturize daily with the right stuff and they wont clog up anymore.this worked for my blackheads and the whiteheads.i warm you though if it doesn't pop with out any pain or hard squeezing it aint comin out, and you might damage your pore and get a narley bump.i have a picture in my album of a bump i got from squeezing the shit out of this whitehead that wasn't ready...got a little carried away and now i have this i guess cyst on my chin.hella sucks so dont try mor ethen twice and if it hurts you are doing it too hard.most of the other ones came out fine but i also didn't moisturize for as long as i told you too so 2 or more weeks of moisturizing daily, the should come out no problem.