Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

After using everything under the sun, besides prescription medicine, I found myself in debt with no relief from the acne. In fact, most products seemed to exacerbate the problem. Finally I just started looking for home remedies. I stumbled across a forum on washing with salt and tried it. And so far it has posed the best results. I think of the times I vacationed at the beach. Any wound I had seemed to heal more quickly after being in salt water. So I started washing with salt (both iodized and sea salt table salts have worked) from 2-3 times a day. It leaves my skin feeling smooth and helps prevent infection in any wounds I picked. I wet my face with warm water, pour salt into my palm and add a little more water to dissolve and then wash my face and rinse with warm water and pat dry. Once a day I will actually scrub with a lot of salt crystals and it gets rid of the top layer of skin without irritating breakouts. I don't use any other products on my face. At night I actually don't rinse and let the salt water just dry on my face. I think I'm going to start using apple cider vinegar as an astringent at night to relieve the scars (and trust me I have scars). My face still needs a lot of work - but I do consider this a break through - if you only knew what I had to go through to get to this point. I hope this helps someone. Also I started regularly taking flax seed oil (EFA's are lacking in most American diets). This may also have had an impact. Also another natural treatment has been the sun - a little sun exposure doesn't hurt (and it makes acne a little less noticeable).

This past weekend I went away and stayed the night in a hotel. I forgot to bring salt, but remembered that I had read that sugar has similiar anti-bacterial benefits and has been used as well. Luckily the hotel had a coffee pot with complimentary condiments and I was able to wash my face with a sugar packet. It seemed to work just as well as salt - which was good because I spent most of the day outside at a dusty park in very humid heat. I still was able to take my Flax Seed as well as wash with sugar. No breakouts resulted!!!

i may try the salt wash after I use my cleanser and let it dry on my neck where I get the most break outs. I use TTO but it seems to make the sensitive areas there red and dry and take longer to kick in and the smell I hate! So you just used good ole table salt? I have heard sea salt or epsom salt works good too.

Yep! Good old table salt and seal salt have worked for me!!! Salt has anti-bacterial properties and helps accelerate the healing of wounds as well as does wonders for exfoliating dead skin cells away. Give it a shot - you have nothing to lose - especially money!!!

Just remember why salt works as an antibacterial agent. Creating a hypertonic environment causes the bacteria to lose water until it either dies or is simply unable to replicate. Prolonged exposure to salt will do exactly the same thing to any cells not protected by a cell wall, which means your skin cells, too. Drying out your face isn't going to kill you or anything; any acne medication does basically the same thing. But as with any acne medication, don't overdo it.