Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jusmeig

Roaccutane and Alcohol........it was never going to work!

Hi there,

Firstly I was heartbroken when I found out I would have to give up/cut down my alcohol intake during my course of Roaccutane.....being irish and not being able to drink in a group of friends who worship at the altar of beer/guinness and whatever else they can get is a problem to say the least.....that said I plan to kick the booze and give myself the best chance of getting rid of my acne!

I must say I think this site is an excellent resource on acne. I was very worried about going on Roaccutane but was inspired to do so by hearing all the good things (and some bad) about how it helped people (mostly good).

My acne is mainly on my back...but recently it has started to move onto my neck. I have tried 2 other antibio's but had little luck. the last one just about controlled my acne......I am however lucky that I never get spots on my face.

So I went to the derm and he put me on Roaccutane. I've only been on it a week and I am happy to say I have had almost no side effects (that bother me!!) I do get red rashes on my wrists that seem to come and go. They are no very ichy...so they do not bother me. Did anyone else get rashes??

My skin is starting to dry out...but this is all normal....and I had a touch of alopecia before my Roaccutane so I can't blame it for that!!!!!!

Cheers,

Justin

hi justin,

welcome to acne.org! this place has been like a godsend to me. seriously. i totally feel you on the booze thing. it is going to be really hard for me to cut down on my alcohol intake when my entire social scene seems to revolve around happy hours after work and partying it up on the weekends (sad, i know). but it will be well worth it!!!

good luck on your quest for clear skin!! i'm sure the tane will do the trick :dance:

hi justin,

welcome to acne.org! this place has been like a godsend to me. seriously. i totally feel you on the booze thing. it is going to be really hard for me to cut down on my alcohol intake when my entire social scene seems to revolve around happy hours after work and partying it up on the weekends (sad, i know). but it will be well worth it!!!

good luck on your quest for clear skin!! i'm sure the tane will do the trick :dance:

i had a lot of alcohol for the first time in 3 and a half months yesterday and i feel bad for doing so.

i've only 2 weeks left on accutane and it's not really worked (and i quit alcohol up until yesterday) so i thought one nights drinking wouldn't make any difference

good luck

Hi all,

Well...the start of week 2.

jbern: Thanks for the welcome. Its great to see people help each other out on this forum!!

martin06: I here ye....but I am adopting an all or nothing policy. If I slip back into drinking now and again I am finished. I have been told that not drinking will increase the chances of my acne clearing...so im willing to give it a go if only for that reason! Truth be told I also hope to save a small fortune!

Regarding symptoms....I've pretty much had them all at this stage (the minor ones!!!).

My face is as dry as Ghandi's sandal. I've had some small nose bleeds (not "regular" nose bleeds where the blood flows...just blood on a tissue) and of course my favourite the lower back pain. (I do quite a bit of jogging so this one is a real pain!)

Regarding my back acne...no visible improvement, but of course it is very early days yet. I do hope to see some improvement after 3 months.....I reckon at that stage something good should come of this investment in time and money!!

So the battle continues.....I'll post at the start of week 3.....perhaps there may be something to show!!!

Cheers,

Justin.

Well Justin,

I'm from Ireland as well, no alcohol for last seven weeks, bit of a strain alright but I'm sure it'll be worthwhile, still have nine weeks left. i think the reason you can't take alcohol isn't to cure your acne but to make sure you don't destroy your liver. Since you're in Ireland I assume you've got a private derm and are paying thru the nose like me, and won't save a cent!!! Good luck with your treatment, mine is going reasonably well so far.

Well Justin,

I'm from Ireland as well, no alcohol for last seven weeks, bit of a strain alright but I'm sure it'll be worthwhile, still have nine weeks left. i think the reason you can't take alcohol isn't to cure your acne but to make sure you don't destroy your liver. Since you're in Ireland I assume you've got a private derm and are paying thru the nose like me, and won't save a cent!!! Good luck with your treatment, mine is going reasonably well so far.

Hi oweny,

Yeah you guessed right! I pay €150 euro for my visits to the derm, and about 80 euro a month on the tablets. So I reckon its a 2000 euro odd investment....not cheap. I can of course claim some of this back on my health insurance, and I hear talk that a Med 1 form will let you claim tax relief on the drugs etc.....so I hope to get close to half this figure back.

But as you pointed out its the giving up drinking that was the hardest of the lot....I never knew just how much of my life revolved around drinking! :boohoo:

Your doing well....your 7 weeks in!. How has it gone for you, is your skin clear? any improvements at all?

Cheers,

Justin.

Hi there,

Well its the start of Week 3. Again still no improvement.....well maybe very very marginal improvement...nothing to write home about ;)

Still on 60mg a day until I see my derm at the end of this month......

Hoping to see some positive change by the end of this month, I will be 6 weeks on the tablets at that stage!!

Cheers,

Justin.

Hi there,

While reading another older log I saw some talk about Vitamen E being used to fade the red blotches that acne leaves behind.

In what form should vit e be taken...ie cream tablet. Is it ok to take it while your on Roaccutane??

Either way im not going to do anything until I see my derm on the 30th...see what he says....

Cheers,

Justin.

Hi there,

Well its the start of week 4. My back acne has got much worse since I started Roaccutane. Its a little off puting to take such a strong drug and for things to get worse in the beginning, but by reading this forum I as well aware that things usually get worse before they get better.

My back feels much dryer than it did before...perhaps this is the start of the improvement?

Well another week another 21 tablets!

Justin.

Well it seems I am the only posting member of my Roaccutane log!!!!! But if someone finds it useful or learns something that helps them on their journey....then i'll keep posting!!!

Week 5 (start)

I got back to my derm next week. In the 4 weeks I have been on this drug I have seen no improvement. But from reading this is not uncommon....and most people advise to stick with it as it USUALLY WILL get much better. this said I am really hoping to see improvement in week 6 - 8. My face was really dry in week 2-3...but now it is not too bad. My arms however get really dry...as does my back! Strangly enough I find the side effects reassuring...as at least I know the drug is doing something!!!!

Cheers,

Justin!

I drank 9-13 beers every friday night while I was on accutane and I am four months post treatment and 100% clear. In no way is this medical advice but gettin wasted once a week did not affect my treatment in any way. Just my .02, something to considerl. cheers!

Liver damage was not a big concern of mine as I drink and smoke all the time. Be safe

Man, the whole alchol thing and accutane is bullshit. I drink reguallarly, like a social drinker should.. From beers, to whisky, to vodka, whatever, and not a prob with acutane.. My skin is clearing, i feel great, nothing in my body pains and a drink like a fish! Its not an anti-biotic so, i dont see how it should affect one if the pop a few beers. Dont get so messed up though. Drink, have fun, no worries man! My doc said a glass of wine or 3 is ok. Mybe a few beers too wont hurt, so there u have it. Drink the Ale, Pump the music and punish the women! Nice man!

Julian

lol... julz the face, u say liver damage is no problem bcoz u drink and smoke all the time??? hmmm i wud b thinking the opposite man.

Also.. 'Drink the Ale, Pump the music and punish the women!' <<< lol, thats.....funny.

Hi there,

While reading another older log I saw some talk about Vitamen E being used to fade the red blotches that acne leaves behind.

In what form should vit e be taken...ie cream tablet. Is it ok to take it while your on Roaccutane??

Either way im not going to do anything until I see my derm on the 30th...see what he says....

Cheers,

Justin.

Well, I can't really speak to the Vitamin E thing, but I just starting putting some Vitamin K cream on my red marks and it seems to be helping to fade them. I'm almost 3 months into my treatment, so I'm relatively clear. Don't know that Vitamin K should be used when you've got active acne going, but definitely ask your derm about anything before you use it.

Best of luck with your treatment!

Julz_theFace, im afraid I must agree with Nazario on this....Roaccutane greatly increases the strain on your liver as it is a powerful drug (the peeling face and lips are testimony to that!!).

Drinking heavily while on it can only be a bad thing....but I hear you...a few beers won't kill you....but i am trying to take an all or nothing approach...as if I have a few beers a few will lead to a few more..........

Well it seems I am the only posting member of my Roaccutane log!!!!! But if someone finds it useful or learns something that helps them on their journey....then i'll keep posting!!!

Week 5 (start)

I got back to my derm next week. In the 4 weeks I have been on this drug I have seen no improvement. But from reading this is not uncommon....and most people advise to stick with it as it USUALLY WILL get much better. this said I am really hoping to see improvement in week 6 - 8. My face was really dry in week 2-3...but now it is not too bad. My arms however get really dry...as does my back! Strangly enough I find the side effects reassuring...as at least I know the drug is doing something!!!!

Cheers,

Justin!

Yeah, funny enough I was delighted when I started to get side effects, at least it was having some kind of impact. Sick of them now though. I've been on tane for nearly 11 weeks, fairly big improvement but very much a case of two steps forward and one back.

Week 6 (start)

Well Week 5 turned out to be an absolute nightmare for me. I got about 15 new huge spots o my back......im afraid at this stage scarring is unavoidable. Thank the powers that be I never get acne on my face. My utmost respect to people who do and battle on!!!

Week 6 has seen a slight calming of what I hear is called the "Initial outbreak". I don’t seem to be developing any new huge spots...and the ones that did develop in week 5 are healing. I do hope this is the start of a better run ;) Its hard to take a drug for 6 weeks only for things to get much worse!

I go see my derm this Friday. I've developed a fairly bad rash on my arms due to Roaccutane...hopefully he can give me some cream to ease it. Apart from that my side effects are calming down. My lips just get real dry but my face is no longer so dry. I do get the odd nose bleed...but nothing out of the usual. Roll on week 7 and some good news I hope ;)

Cheers,

Justin.

Man, the whole alchol thing and accutane is bullshit. I drink reguallarly, like a social drinker should.. From beers, to whisky, to vodka, whatever, and not a prob with acutane.. My skin is clearing, i feel great, nothing in my body pains and a drink like a fish! Its not an anti-biotic so, i dont see how it should affect one if the pop a few beers. Dont get so messed up though. Drink, have fun, no worries man! My doc said a glass of wine or 3 is ok. Mybe a few beers too wont hurt, so there u have it. Drink the Ale, Pump the music and punish the women! Nice man!

Julian

Yeah i've been drinking on a weekly basis since being on tane, beer here, beer there, jagermeister here, vodka there.. I don't know if it has affected me, maybe I get drunk a little easier but I get no pain anything, and it's been 8 weeks, all is good touch wood

Well Week 6 was another very bad week. As I read this forum I find there are many other people who suffer the same kind of back acne as I do. Basically its across my shoulders real bad....and down the centre of my back.

I had a huge outbreak on my shoulders in week 6 that was so bad that they have not healed and I am almost through week 7!!! Im happy to report that I have no huge cysts forming in week 7....so im crossing my fingers that the old ones clear and im in a better position for week 8!

I have been back to see my derm, who did not feel the need to up my dose. He said I was "doing well"....im not so sure but then again im no derm!!!

So ive been off the booze 7 weeks now. I feel much better for it I must say!!! I've a few weddings and stag parties coming up soon so they will be hard to get through without drink....

Hi there,

Good news!!!! The start of week 8 and there has been a definite improvement since the problems of 6-7.

After the outbreak I am happy to report no new spots are forming, and my shoulders are starting to clear (very slowly). The blackheads on my back are also going...which is great as after 8 weeks on these tablets its good to finally see some positve results. I have been taking pictures of my back each week as a reference...but alas my stupid computer crashed and I lost them all!!!! So i'll just have to start from week 8 and keep pictures moving forward.

Good stuff this Roaccutane!!!!

Justin :)

Hi all,

Well its been another week on Roaccutane. Unfortunatly its been a bad one :(

I've had several really bad nose bleeds. I am just wondering if anyone else had these so late into the treatment (im on wekk 9)?? It took over 2 hours for my nose to stop bleeding...I was starting to get worried, I missed a day of work as I got no sleep!!! Since the last one I have started puting vaseline inside my nose in an effort to help, so far no more bleeds!

My back is more or less the same, no improvement here. Im still developing new spots and the old ones are taking an age to heal. It appears I am not responding as well as some other folks on this forum to Roaccutane.

But the battle continues.......

Justin.

yea cutting it down will be ok , i dont think u need to completely quit , i drink once every 2-3 weeks.

goodluck with the accutane it will murder the acne.

This is a dumb question...but im not sure of the answer so i'll ask!!!

Is it ok to use a moisturizer on your back acne? I hear conflicting reports that ti can make things worse??? Please help.

Justin.

Hi there,

Well its the start of week 10....time flies! Week 9 has been good to me :)

My bacne is starting to clear! Apart for a clump of spots on my left shoulder and 2 on my middle back I have no active spots!!!

Each day seems to bring improvement and I really do hope it continues. Its been over 3 years since I had a spot free back....im really looking forward to it.

I even decided to treat myself to a glass of wine the other night.........

:D

Justin.

hey man, it's not such a bad thing...

I was a borderline alcoholic drinking every day ... (a habit that I've had since high-school that worsened when I lived in a frat house for 9 months)

since i've been on accutane I've quit drinking completely and i am much more happy and productive.

thats just me though, i've missed out on some killer camping trips and drinking nights because ive completely stopped drinking...