Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay, I know the thread "candida=acne" is pretty popular, and it worked for me as well. But it didn't really get me the results that I wanted in the time frame that I wanted. Why do I believe it worked? At one point I was strictly on anti-fungals and probiotics while just avoiding sucrose...assuming it was safe to eat mash potatoes and stuff. This helped my skin considerably...immensely in fact, but I knew it wasn't the exact way to go.

I then did my research into diet and acne and found an all too similar line: "Diet does not cause acne." BULLSHIT. Complete bullshit. Of course I did not come to this conclusion at first...I was actually built into that belief.

I did endless searching and found the two links below (under references). This was about 2 weeks ago. Although the study done on insulin resistant acne-prone skin had a small sample size (one that requires using t-distributions), I over-looked the article until I found one on the kitavan tribe. The fact that of the 1300 or so subjects had no acne (not one pimple, blackhead, whitehead, visible pore, etc.) whatsoever intrigue me. While I do genetics pre-disposes people more sensitive to acne, environmental triggers (to me) are the main causes.

See, we live in a westernized world where everything is easy. Food is in the supermarket and little exercise is required to get food. We paid little attention to what we ate and what our parents fed us and most of us lived/is living/will live a sedentary lifestyle. In the process of spiking our blood sugar and expanding our waistlines we steadily become insulin resistant. The process of becoming insulin resistant takes years, 6-10 years for the average. So it didn't happen overnight...so you can be sure "curing" your acne won't either.

Here is what I observed in 2 weeks: Continously smaller pores, far less chances of cysts, smoother skin, and scars that heal (though not completely) on their own. Keep in mind I did not change my topical or supplemental regimen. But here are some myths:

1) "Orange juice has too much sugar, so do other fruits." - Yes, they do...but it's FRUCTOSE. Do your research on fructose and realize that it's different from all other digestable carbohydrates. It has a low GI and GL.

2) "Carrots have a high GI, so I avoid them." - Again, bullshit. Glucose has the highest GI of any food, but 1g of glucose won't do damage. Take GL into account. In fact, all fruits and vegetables are pretty much safe for consumption of 4-5 servings in a setting...except potatoes. Sweet potatoes actually have a lower GI and GL than regular potatoes.

3) "Dairy products cause acne." - I'm not so sure about this one, but I do believe it is a myth. Why? A Feb 2005 study was done on milk and acne. Those who had the severe cases drank mostly skim milk. I couldn't figure out why that was so...until over a year later. The fat in milk slows down lactose absorption. Without it (as in the case with skim milk) skim milk produces a significantly higher spike in blood sugar than whole milk. This is why I believe the whole "pus, hormones, anti-biotics in milk cause acne" has no merit...though there may be other health concerns regarding other ingredients in milk.

4) "If I keep on this diet, I'll be clear and never worry about acne medications." - This can work for some people, but if you have acne you most likely are a pre-diabetic or an existing diabetic...so exercising will help the process.

5) "Sweat is good for the skin." - I think this is bullshit. Go to a sauna for 2 weeks and come back and tell me how your skin is doing. I'll explain more of this below.

6) "I'm skinny, I don't have diabetes or pre-diabetes." - Bullshit. In fact, all the talk of skinny people releasing toxins through pores instead of storing through fat is like some naturopathological BS/fad. Millions of skinny people have diabetes or pre-diabetic conditions...and I do believe acne is a pre-diabetic condition.

7) "You must stay away from junk food." - I believe this is bullshit as well. Any food is okay, when consumed in moderation. Everything is okay except for trans fat. I believe that a Snickers bar is okay once in a while...even after exercise. But consuming it on a daily basis will be asking for trouble.

Acne prone skin has been shown to be insulin resistant. Insulin resistance is a precursor of diabetes. Of the people who have diabetes, about 95% of them are type 2. What does this mean? It means 95% of diabetics are diabetic because of themselves. Though not all diabetics gets acne and not all diabetics are self-inflicted, this is unlikely to make you fall into the category of "diabetes doesn't affect my acne."

Here's an analogy: Notice when you drive a stick shift, you always start in the first gear. You can start in the 2nd gear, but it requires more throttle...analogously for the 3rd gear (I've never attempted to get my car going on 4th and 5th gears). It's okay to do this once in a while, but it stresses the engine and doing this repeatedly will damage the engine. Now imagine your pancreas: It produces insulin to tell your cells to take glucose for energy. But if you over-consume high GI/GL foods this causes your pancreas to "increase throttle" and produce more insulin. It's okay once in a while, but over time you begin to produce too much insulin that it stresses your pancreas. It produces more insulin to compensate for your cells becoming insulin-resistant. Basically, don't start on the 2nd or 3rd gears (eating too much high GI/GL foods) too often unless you have to (like after starvation).

For type 2 diabetes, it's quite simple to prevent it (and ultimately prevent your acne):

Diet

Exercise

Supplements (Though this part is not needed, but can help)

Think you can get away with a high protein-low carb diet? You may...but it's very unhealthy IYAM...and plus being overweight can induce insulin resistance. You need to cut the fat, but not too much (otherwise you'll be short on vitamins A, D, E, and K as well as other metabolism problems).

For supplements have you ever wondered why people who have taken Chromium here or EFAs (Omega 3) have shown improvement in acne? Chromium has been shown to increase insulin sensitivity. So has EFAs. So, if you ask me, forget all the bullshit people tell you of "toxins" and shit...it sounds ridiculous IMO. EVERY SINGLE FOOD HAS TOXINS EXCEPT WATER. The broccoli that you eat has toxins, the beef, everything. These toxins are to ward off predators in nature. But we consume so little of it that it hardly is a problem (if at all).

Supplements can help, but IMO nothing helps more than exercise and diet.

Here is what I eat daily:

Breakfast: Bowl of cereal with rice milk*

Lunch: 5 servings of vegetables with lean meats

Dinner: Repeat lunch

Before bed: Repeat breakfast.

* Rice milk has twice the carbs as milk and has virtually no fat and cholesterol. So it does cause a higher spike in blood sugar...but why am I taking it? Well, I'm allergic to milk and soy milk, but I need the carbs since I'm excercising now. Generally whole-grain cereals is what I eat, like shredded wheat.

Exercise:

I jog for about 1-2 hours 3-4 days a week. This sounds like a lot, but it's really not. Jogging is considered a "tough" exercise as opposed to walking. Brisk walking is preferred though, especially for people just starting out. Although your legs will cramp at first, if you stretch enough and exercise enough you will be fine (in fact, the cramps and pain went away on my 3rd day of exercising). Try not to do too much in one day and wait a day to recover.

Note that you do NOT have to sweat to get results. Sweating is basically loss of water and sodium to cool the body off. You can have the same effects in winter as you do in summer. The key is to force your body to become insulin sensitive.

To improve recovery time, eat 7-10g of protein right after exercise. Google Luecine and see why.

Results? Although I don't have a digital camera, I will find a way to get a picture and post it here. But I have seen substantial improvement in overall health, not only in my face. My pores continue to shrink on a week-by-week basis and oil production is going down. I might get an odd pimple once every other day, but it beats getting 3 spots a day.

Diabetes Test

http://www.diabetes.org/risk-test.jsp

I put in 6' and 119 lbs. (183cm and 54kgs), I am under 65 with little exercise. None of my siblings or my parents have diabetes...yet I still scored a 5 on the test...that is a moderate indiction. Although it's just an easy questionaire, I do not question it's integrity because of the site and because after taking blood glucose tests myself to confirm it.

References:

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles/Acne%...van%20acne' - No cases of acne reported between 1400 subjects (age 15-25 years old)!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...t_uids=15294556 - Acne prone skin, insulin resistant.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/abstract/346/6/393 - Diet and exercise are twice as effective as anti-diabetic drugs.

www.mendosa.com - Lists of GI/GL foods.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnew...9&nfid=rssfeeds - Healing wounds through exercise

i got bad acne....and few days back got my blood sugar tested it as like 220..and i was shocked..i still binge on food with sugar and cant help it.whenever i stay on a low carbohydrate diet and excercise my face starts clearing up.newaez,thanx a lot for the information.

There's another tip I can offer: Eat 5 small meals as opposed to 3 large meals. This way you won't suffer too high a spike in blood sugar.

I don't think this thread will be as popular as some of the other threads mainly because this whole diet/exercise routine is a bit harder (though not really complicated at all) to follow. Plus, IMHO, acne prone people are lazy. They want the solution in some type of a pill and are unwilling to go on a diet or exercise...but that's my opinion.

i got bad acne....and few days back got my blood sugar tested it as like 220..and i was shocked..i still binge on food with sugar and cant help it.whenever i stay on a low carbohydrate diet and excercise my face starts clearing up.newaez,thanx a lot for the information.

Instead of rice milk you could try almond milk

Unfortunately I'm allergic to nuts. Funny thing is, I can eat dried-unprocessed peanuts just fine with absolutely no allergic reactions. Same thing with cashews...but once they process the nuts...I stay away from it like the plague.

I totally agree with what you've said, Bellybutton (cute handle).

I started jogging regularly about 4mths ago (every second day usually) and I very recently cut out refined sugars and grains. I also take supplements to help with the process. As soon as I cut the refined foods, my skin purged for a week (very oily and an increase in breakouts) and then got miraculously clearer overnight and onwards. It's fantastic to finally understand how to empower myself through my lifestyle. It's only taken me 19yrs!! I wish I had of understood 10yrs ago, but oh well, I'll make sure my future children do!

Absolutely worth the effort and changes. I'm really starting to enjoy eating fruit again as my after-dinner sweet :)

Pinky

Okay, I know the thread "candida=acne" is pretty popular, and it worked for me as well. But it didn't really get me the results that I wanted in the time frame that I wanted. Why do I believe it worked? At one point I was strictly on anti-fungals and probiotics while just avoiding sucrose...assuming it was safe to eat mash potatoes and stuff. This helped my skin considerably...immensely in fact, but I knew it wasn't the exact way to go.

I then did my research into diet and acne and found an all too similar line: "Diet does not cause acne." BULLSHIT. Complete bullshit. Of course I did not come to this conclusion at first...I was actually built into that belief.

I did endless searching and found the two links below (under references). This was about 2 weeks ago. Although the study done on insulin resistant acne-prone skin had a small sample size (one that requires using t-distributions), I over-looked the article until I found one on the kitavan tribe. The fact that of the 1300 or so subjects had no acne (not one pimple, blackhead, whitehead, visible pore, etc.) whatsoever intrigue me. While I do genetics pre-disposes people more sensitive to acne, environmental triggers (to me) are the main causes.

See, we live in a westernized world where everything is easy. Food is in the supermarket and little exercise is required to get food. We paid little attention to what we ate and what our parents fed us and most of us lived/is living/will live a sedentary lifestyle. In the process of spiking our blood sugar and expanding our waistlines we steadily become insulin resistant. The process of becoming insulin resistant takes years, 6-10 years for the average. So it didn't happen overnight...so you can be sure "curing" your acne won't either.

Here is what I observed in 2 weeks: Continously smaller pores, far less chances of cysts, smoother skin, and scars that heal (though not completely) on their own. Keep in mind I did not change my topical or supplemental regimen. But here are some myths:

1) "Orange juice has too much sugar, so do other fruits." - Yes, they do...but it's FRUCTOSE. Do your research on fructose and realize that it's different from all other digestable carbohydrates. It has a low GI and GL.

2) "Carrots have a high GI, so I avoid them." - Again, bullshit. Glucose has the highest GI of any food, but 1g of glucose won't do damage. Take GL into account. In fact, all fruits and vegetables are pretty much safe for consumption of 4-5 servings in a setting...except potatoes. Sweet potatoes actually have a lower GI and GL than regular potatoes.

3) "Dairy products cause acne." - I'm not so sure about this one, but I do believe it is a myth. Why? A Feb 2005 study was done on milk and acne. Those who had the severe cases drank mostly skim milk. I couldn't figure out why that was so...until over a year later. The fat in milk slows down lactose absorption. Without it (as in the case with skim milk) skim milk produces a significantly higher spike in blood sugar than whole milk. This is why I believe the whole "pus, hormones, anti-biotics in milk cause acne" has no merit...though there may be other health concerns regarding other ingredients in milk.

4) "If I keep on this diet, I'll be clear and never worry about acne medications." - This can work for some people, but if you have acne you most likely are a pre-diabetic or an existing diabetic...so exercising will help the process.

5) "Sweat is good for the skin." - I think this is bullshit. Go to a sauna for 2 weeks and come back and tell me how your skin is doing. I'll explain more of this below.

6) "I'm skinny, I don't have diabetes or pre-diabetes." - Bullshit. In fact, all the talk of skinny people releasing toxins through pores instead of storing through fat is like some naturopathological BS/fad. Millions of skinny people have diabetes or pre-diabetic conditions...and I do believe acne is a pre-diabetic condition.

7) "You must stay away from junk food." - I believe this is bullshit as well. Any food is okay, when consumed in moderation. Everything is okay except for trans fat. I believe that a Snickers bar is okay once in a while...even after exercise. But consuming it on a daily basis will be asking for trouble.

Acne prone skin has been shown to be insulin resistant. Insulin resistance is a precursor of diabetes. Of the people who have diabetes, about 95% of them are type 2. What does this mean? It means 95% of diabetics are diabetic because of themselves. Though not all diabetics gets acne and not all diabetics are self-inflicted, this is unlikely to make you fall into the category of "diabetes doesn't affect my acne."

Here's an analogy: Notice when you drive a stick shift, you always start in the first gear. You can start in the 2nd gear, but it requires more throttle...analogously for the 3rd gear (I've never attempted to get my car going on 4th and 5th gears). It's okay to do this once in a while, but it stresses the engine and doing this repeatedly will damage the engine. Now imagine your pancreas: It produces insulin to tell your cells to take glucose for energy. But if you over-consume high GI/GL foods this causes your pancreas to "increase throttle" and produce more insulin. It's okay once in a while, but over time you begin to produce too much insulin that it stresses your pancreas. It produces more insulin to compensate for your cells becoming insulin-resistant. Basically, don't start on the 2nd or 3rd gears (eating too much high GI/GL foods) too often unless you have to (like after starvation).

For type 2 diabetes, it's quite simple to prevent it (and ultimately prevent your acne):

Diet

Exercise

Supplements (Though this part is not needed, but can help)

Think you can get away with a high protein-low carb diet? You may...but it's very unhealthy IYAM...and plus being overweight can induce insulin resistance. You need to cut the fat, but not too much (otherwise you'll be short on vitamins A, D, E, and K as well as other metabolism problems).

For supplements have you ever wondered why people who have taken Chromium here or EFAs (Omega 3) have shown improvement in acne? Chromium has been shown to increase insulin sensitivity. So has EFAs. So, if you ask me, forget all the bullshit people tell you of "toxins" and shit...it sounds ridiculous IMO. EVERY SINGLE FOOD HAS TOXINS EXCEPT WATER. The broccoli that you eat has toxins, the beef, everything. These toxins are to ward off predators in nature. But we consume so little of it that it hardly is a problem (if at all).

Supplements can help, but IMO nothing helps more than exercise and diet.

Here is what I eat daily:

Breakfast: Bowl of cereal with rice milk*

Lunch: 5 servings of vegetables with lean meats

Dinner: Repeat lunch

Before bed: Repeat breakfast.

* Rice milk has twice the carbs as milk and has virtually no fat and cholesterol. So it does cause a higher spike in blood sugar...but why am I taking it? Well, I'm allergic to milk and soy milk, but I need the carbs since I'm excercising now. Generally whole-grain cereals is what I eat, like shredded wheat.

Exercise:

I jog for about 1-2 hours 3-4 days a week. This sounds like a lot, but it's really not. Jogging is considered a "tough" exercise as opposed to walking. Brisk walking is preferred though, especially for people just starting out. Although your legs will cramp at first, if you stretch enough and exercise enough you will be fine (in fact, the cramps and pain went away on my 3rd day of exercising). Try not to do too much in one day and wait a day to recover.

Note that you do NOT have to sweat to get results. Sweating is basically loss of water and sodium to cool the body off. You can have the same effects in winter as you do in summer. The key is to force your body to become insulin sensitive.

To improve recovery time, eat 7-10g of protein right after exercise. Google Luecine and see why.

Results? Although I don't have a digital camera, I will find a way to get a picture and post it here. But I have seen substantial improvement in overall health, not only in my face. My pores continue to shrink on a week-by-week basis and oil production is going down. I might get an odd pimple once every other day, but it beats getting 3 spots a day.

Diabetes Test

http://www.diabetes.org/risk-test.jsp

I put in 6' and 119 lbs. (183cm and 54kgs), I am under 65 with little exercise. None of my siblings or my parents have diabetes...yet I still scored a 5 on the test...that is a moderate indiction. Although it's just an easy questionaire, I do not question it's integrity because of the site and because after taking blood glucose tests myself to confirm it.

References:

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles/Acne%...van%20acne'

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...t_uids=15294556

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/abstract/346/6/393

www.mendosa.com - Lists of GI/GL foods.

You mentioned scars healing (partially). This could be a real motivator for me to exercise. Can you go into detail about what kind of scars, how old of scars etc. Really interesting.

Diet only helps if you have mild acne-some people are affected by acne only due to food certain allergies and if u can control that for a long run you can cure it.

Excercise-Sweating can really make your acne worse,but if you want a beautiful healthy glowing skin excercise does improve your blood circulation but unfor for people who have acne specially inflammation & dandruff it can become terrible times in the beginning but eventually you can get used to it.

If you are gonna do sauna make sure you do it from the best place ive read in some saunas you can actually catch fungus and can cause acne.

You mentioned scars healing (partially). This could be a real motivator for me to exercise. Can you go into detail about what kind of scars, how old of scars etc. Really interesting.

My scars are pretty mild, mostly no more than .75mm indented. If you look straight at my face, you can't see them, but they become more visible during profile shots. This won't help people much with moderate or severe scarring though.

There was a study done not too long ago, it had two sets of people with inflicted wounds. They measured those who exercise and those who didn't. Of those who did exercise, the wounds healed 10 days faster compared to those who didn't. The reason for this, as they speculated, was that exercise increased bloodflow.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnew...9&nfid=rssfeeds <- Link to wound healing.

As for my weight...yeah, 6' 119 lbs. is very skinny...but I'm not as unhealthy as it may seem though. I think it's in my genes to stay skinny as I've tried weights and eating more fat and protein, but nothing really seems to work for me. :-

Diet only helps if you have mild acne-some people are affected by acne only due to food certain allergies and if u can control that for a long run you can cure it.

Excercise-Sweating can really make your acne worse,but if you want a beautiful healthy glowing skin excercise does improve your blood circulation but unfor for people who have acne specially inflammation & dandruff it can become terrible times in the beginning but eventually you can get used to it.

If you are gonna do sauna make sure you do it from the best place ive read in some saunas you can actually catch fungus and can cause acne.

Diet can help whether you have mild or cystic acne. But you need to look at the whole picture the worse your acne is. By whole picture, I mean a complete program aside from diet, like exercise, proper sleep, supplements, possible cleansing, liver flushes, etc. Many people have cured their cystic acne this way.

Sweating helps my skin every time it seems. If it gives me a pimple, it's a really small one and clears up in a day or two, nothing to really worry about.

Fungus on the skin doesn't cause acne but it can cause other bad skin problems (athlete's foot, jock itch).

My scars are pretty mild, mostly no more than .75mm indented. If you look straight at my face, you can't see them, but they become more visible during profile shots. This won't help people much with moderate or severe scarring though.

There was a study done not too long ago, it had two sets of people with inflicted wounds. They measured those who exercise and those who didn't. Of those who did exercise, the wounds healed 10 days faster compared to those who didn't. The reason for this, as they speculated, was that exercise increased bloodflow.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnew...9&nfid=rssfeeds <- Link to wound healing.

As for my weight...yeah, 6' 119 lbs. is very skinny...but I'm not as unhealthy as it may seem though. I think it's in my genes to stay skinny as I've tried weights and eating more fat and protein, but nothing really seems to work for me. :-

Any improvement is welcome to me. How old were these scars? Thanks

Any improvement is welcome to me. How old were these scars? Thanks

I'm guessing some of them were a few years old...but it wasn't until recently (like 2 weeks ago) that I started to really notice my own acne scarring...so it is most likely a guess.

I honestly don't mind red marks...exercise seems to help clear those fairly quickly (assuming no new spots show up in that area).

But I'm almost certain you'll see some improvement, even if they are slight.

By the way, I now consider daily exercise to be a regular part of my regime in helping acne. The benefits its given me have been amazing.

Diet can help whether you have mild or cystic acne. But you need to look at the whole picture the worse your acne is. By whole picture, I mean a complete program aside from diet, like exercise, proper sleep, supplements, possible cleansing, liver flushes, etc. Many people have cured their cystic acne this way.

Sweating helps my skin every time it seems. If it gives me a pimple, it's a really small one and clears up in a day or two, nothing to really worry about.

Fungus on the skin doesn't cause acne but it can cause other bad skin problems (athlete's foot, jock itch).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...t_uids=15294556 - Acne prone skin, insulin resistant.

Wait a minute, that study indicates:

The sample size and/or study length was insufficient to observe any significant changes in inflammatory counts or HOMA-IR in either the HP or HC groups. Although some results appear promising, further research is needed to confirm the diet-acne connection.

there is no connection, maybe you posted the wrong study. Or maybe it's written in the full text? Please elaborate.

Wait a minute, that study indicates:

The sample size and/or study length was insufficient to observe any significant changes in inflammatory counts or HOMA-IR in either the HP or HC groups. Although some results appear promising, further research is needed to confirm the diet-acne connection.

there is no connection, maybe you posted the wrong study. Or maybe it's written in the full text? Please elaborate.

There is a more recent study as well as more recent emails sent to a former member of this board. I couldn't find it just by searching the keywords on Pubmed either, but I believe I posted the full abstracts on here. Lemme check....

OK, here's the thread I posted them in:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...88entry894988

And here's the most recent studies (appears ithey are no longer posted on pubmed):

Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2005;14 Suppl:S43. Related Articles, Links

The effect of a low glycemic load, high protein diet on hormonal markers of acne.

Smith R, Mann N, Braue A, Varigos G.

School of Applied Sciences, RMIT University, Melbourne, VIC.

Background - Acne vulgaris is a common endocrine condition affecting adolescents in Western civilizations. Acne typically manifests during puberty when there is a transient decrease in insulin sensitivity. It has been suggested that high glycemic nutrition during puberty induces hyperinsulinemia which increases the bioavailability of androgens and certain growth factors. These changes may induce follicular epithelial growth and increased sebum production - two factors responsible for acne proliferation.

Objective - To determine the effect of a low glycemic load diet, comprised of high levels of protein and low glycemic index (GI) foods, on hormonal makers of acne vulgaris.

Design - Male acne sufferers [n=43, age=18.3+/-0.4 (mean +/- SEM)] were randomly assigned to either the dietary intervention (n=23) or control groups (n=20). The intervention diet consisted of 25% energy from protein and 45% energy from low glycemic index carbohydrates. The control group received no information about diet nor were they given dietary instruction. Venous blood was collected at baseline and 12-weeks for an assessment of testosterone, sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG), free androgen index (FAI), dehydroepiandrosterone - sulfate (DHEA-S), insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and IGF-binding proteins -I and -3.

Outcomes - Dietary intervention resulted in a significant reductionin FAI (-9.1 +/- 4.5, P<0.05) and DHEA-S (-0.72 +/- 0.33 umol/L, P<0.05) and an increase in IGFBP-1 (5.3 +/- 1.6 ng/mL, P<0.01). No significant changes were observed in levels of IGF-I, IGFBP-3, testosterone or SHBG following dietary intervention. The control group showed no change in any of the blood parameters measured.

Conclusion - These data suggest that a low glycemic load diet may reduce androgenic activity (as indicated by a reduction in FAI and DHEA-S) and may oppose the growth promoting effects of IGF-I by increasing levels of its binding protein, IGFBP-I. This implies that a low glycemic load diet may reduce hormonal influences involved in acne pathogenesis. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum

PMID: 16326495 [PubMed - in process]

(yet another study linking dietary changes to affecting, thus altering our bodies hormonal production)

Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2005;14 Suppl:S97. Related Articles, Links

Low glycemic load, high protein diet lessens facial acne severity.

Smith R, Mann N, Braue A, Varigos G.

School of Applied Sciences, RMIT University, Melbourne, VIC.

Background - Acne vulgaris is a multi-factorial skin disorder which affects the 85-100% of the adolescent population in Western civilizations. Despite its high prevalence in the West, acne prevalence is extremely low or rare in non-westernized societies. It has been proposed that refined, high glycemic foods common in Western societies may accentuate underlying causal factors responsible for its proliferation.

Objective - To determine whether a low glycemic load diet, comprised of high levels of protein and low GI foods, can alleviate the severity of acne symptoms in young males Design - Male acne sufferers [n=43, age=18.3 +/- 0.4 (mean +/- SEM)] were randomly assigned to either the dietary intervention (n=23) or control groups (n=20). The intervention diet consisted of 25% energy from protein and 45% energy from low glycemic index carbohydrates. The control group received no information about diet nor were they given dietary instruction. The efficacy of dietary treatment versus control was clinically assessed by a dermatologist using a modified Cunliffe-Leeds acne scale. The dermatologist assessed facial acne by means of lesion counts and was blinded to the subject's group.

Outcomes - Dietary intervention resulted in a reduction in total lesion counts (-23.1 +/- 4.0 lesions, P <0.001) and inflammatory counts (-16.2 +/- 3.0 lesions, P <0.001). The control group also showed a reduction in total lesion counts (-12.0 +/- 3.5 lesions, P <0.01) and inflammatory counts (-7.4 +/- 2.5 lesions, P <0.05). However, between group analyses showed that the reduction was significantly greater in the intervention group for total counts (P <0.05) and inflammatory counts (P <0.05).

Conclusion - These data indicate that a low glycemic load diet, comprised of high levels of protein and low GI foods, significantly decreased the mean number of facial acne lesions, therefore alleviating the severity of acne symptoms. However, the multi-factorial nature of this condition is reflected in the fact that the control group also showed a decrease over time, thereby suggesting that other factors are at play. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum

PMID: 16326597 [PubMed - in process]

These studies by Dr. Mann are the FIRST ever directly linking a dietary-acne connection in a clinical setting. As such, it concerns me that they are no longer listed on pubmed.....

Plus, IMHO, acne prone people are lazy.

Now that is BULLSHIT. Why do people who believe in the acne / diet connection insist on blaming sufferers for this disorder?

Now that is BULLSHIT. Why do people who believe in the acne / diet connection insist on blaming sufferers for this disorder?

Hmm....people in general may fit that bill.

When you are dealing with Preventable Diseases, this means that the burden of responsibilityfalls on the individual that has the problem. Now it doesn't mean that they always know the right way to go about dealing with this problem or that they can "cure" it entirely through diet and exercise, just that.....for a percentage of cases....this is all that is needed to correct the problem.

Unfortunately....it is hard to change people. Even when they KNOW that unless they eat right and exercise they are likely to be on medicaton for the rest of the lives or are likely to suffer another heart attack. Fear isn't enough to change someone. In my classes I learned one must focus on the positive. What got me to change....was all the positives that I sawand wanted that I was denied when I had severe acne. That is what makes this easy to do.

Of course, the other reason people dont change is because of a lack of support. This board helps provide some support, but it also provides quite a bit of doubt and confusion. So the majority of the support should come from friends, family, coworkers, doctors, etc I have an excellent support system. They do not always understand, but they try. Some have even offered to prepare meals for me specifically so I can have something to eat at function other than salad or fruit. Sadly, there are times when I know I've possibly disappointed or offended them...sometimes because they don't know how to read labels, but I'm not going to accept something offered to me when I know how much harm (more than just acne...but a big part) it can cause me. I am polite about such things, and one has to learn how to get by in social situations, otherwise they will fail.

I believe for teenagers and college students (I'm still one too), the problem comes from lack of funds or availability of choices and....you do the best you can. Fried chicken...take off the battered skin. Hamburgers....don't eat the bun...get a low-carb burger (lettuce wrapped) or make it into a salad. I do not believe that you have to eat organic to beat acne! Some people may indeed be chemcially sensitive, but we all are not. If you can afford to, go for it, but if you find that you are not chemically sensitive in this way...don't stress over it!

While it's much more affordable to cook your own meals, for those that are acne prone and KNOW diet is a major player, they can still eat out at resturants and even.....gasp...fast food establishments and probably be 90% - 95% or even 99% acne free! They just have to learn to make wiser decisions, ask questions, be aware of the ingredients in a meal,etc. It's a little time consuming in the begginning, but once you learn what places has the most appropriate foods for you to eat, once you learn that a certain meal has a certain ingredient or once you've learned that after eating a certain meal it broke you out....you know what to do next time.

Yes...a magic pill would be great....but there's always a cost. Knowing what I know about acne, what can cause it, how it develops, etc....I'm not certain how healthy that pill would be for me. Besides...taking a pill and still "eating whatever you want" without anypositive dietary modifications is like pushing a car up a hill......you and the car are both in opposition....one will be stronger than the other.

I don't think that's all that unreasonable. People, in general, are lazy. It's that laziness that fuels weight loss pills and the whole industry, Ab swings and rollers and 23 second Abs.

I have always eaten pretty healthy. Not organic or anything, but I've never indulged much in junkfood and my friends and peers are just astounded that I don't eat McDonald's everyday like so many.

I didn't necessarily blame them. But acne prone people are less likely to go out and get some exercise for fear of people seeing their acne, no matter how bad or good it is. If nobody knew what was causing their acne, then you can't blame them because they simply don't know. But if someone does know, like type 2 diabetics, then its safe to blame them.

People are always concerned with what to eat instead of when and how to eat...that is why many people, IMO, never get the acne-diet connection.