Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Weather Guy

CSR Gel doesn't seem to be having the same effect as PanOxyl BP

Hi, it's the weeping acne guy again, if you remember me that is.

I was currently using the "PanOxyl Aquagel 2.5" for about 1 month and it was helping to keep my acne under control (greatly reduce the weeping). It had the potential to clear me up completely, but made my face too red and dry so I had to wax and wane which made my acne fluctuate quite a lot. Because I heard good things about the CSR Gel I decided to order 2 tubes of it. It arrived last Friday, so on Saturday I swapped over to the CSR Gel, so I've been using it for 5-6 days now, twice a day.

For the last few days I've been suffering from weeping that I haven't experienced in a good fair few weeks (when I was using the PanOxyl BP).

The CSR Gel doesn't seem to have the same effect like the PanOxyl BP. Because of my weird weeping acne, which it seems I'm the only one on the forum that suffers with, maybe that it was not the Benzoly Peroxide that was helping to clear me up, but some other ingredient in the PanOxyl BP. Or maybe I am allergic to one of the ingredients in the CSR Gel which is stopping me from clearing up? Or maybe just suffering from a breakout because I have changed over to the CSR Gel and my skin needs time to adjust?

I listed the Ingredients below and crossed out the ones that are the same in both BP Gels. It's pretty much a completely different Ingredient List for either BP Gel. I would like some advice please, it's really starting to get to me, I thought that I had it under control.

CSR Gel: Deionized Water, Propylene Glycol, Carbomer 940, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Benzyl Alcohol.

PanOxyl Aquagel 2.5: Carbomer, Di-isopropanaolamine, Propylene Glycol, Marcagol Lauryl Ether, Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, Purified Water.

Weather Guy,

typical acne doesn't "weep". I remember seeing your description on one of the other forums and I am wondering if you have something different going on, other than acne.

Have you ever seen a dermatologist? I think it is probably a good idea in your case, since what you have described just doesn't sound like typical acne.

Weather Guy,

typical acne doesn't "weep". I remember seeing your description on one of the other forums and I am wondering if you have something different going on, other than acne.

Have you ever seen a dermatologist? I think it is probably a good idea in your case, since what you have described just doesn't sound like typical acne.

Never seen a derm yet, apart from when I was little due to severe excema. Hope to try and get an appointment after the Uni term finishes on 12th June (will be back home then). I will get refereed to a derm through the doctor.

Along with the weeping I also get some spots now and then, and I have some bumps under the skin from previous bad spots I had. Also some scaring or red marks from bad spots I had. On my nose I think I have a lot of clogged pores, well when I sqeeze lots of white strings come out, is that clogged pores?

So I am basically waiting to see that Derm now, but the PanOxyl was a bit improvement and now Dan's BP has made me start weeping again.

Can radiation from the computer screen cause acne?

´

Can radiation from the computer screen cause acne?

ehe I really dont think so!

Weatherguy,

since you have a history of eczema, I am wondering if your facial problem is eczema too. Or at least eczema mixed in with acne.

I feel for ya, that has to be frustrating.

But I do think seeing a derm is a good idea, as it sounds like you have complicating factors here, and I would hate for you to do more harm than good.

Dude trust me this stuff is ways better then PanOxyl. I've been using the CSR gel for 3 weeks now and I'm very very happy with the results.

Just my god damn shiny part! Me gonna get some powder or somert lol.

Thanks for replys

At first I thought it excema but 1 doctor told me it was acne and the way the PanOxyl Gel was clearing me up made me think it was acne.

One question I have is that I recently started applying the CSR Gel to my nose, was nothing really wrong with it apart from clogged pores I think. Now the area around the pores on my nose is red, and the side of my nose is normal colour. Does this mean the CSR Gel is having a bad reaction with my skin or that it's trying to unblock the pores or something?

I have no idea Weatherguy.

I'm sorry, but your skin sounds really complicated and I'm not sure what to tell you to do.

Most people find Panoxyl way more harsh than Dan's bp gel.

I have no idea Weatherguy.

I'm sorry, but your skin sounds really complicated and I'm not sure what to tell you to do.

Most people find Panoxyl way more harsh than Dan's bp gel.

Yes the CSR Gel is much less harsh. I haven't flaked hardly at all with Dan's BP, but PanOxyl was making me flake and dry all the time, and red all over.

I have some "1% Hydrocortisone Cream", it's good at calming down my skin (mainly for excema). I considered using it with the BP Gel, but thought it might react together or something and be a bad idea so never tried.

But the thought came across my mind again so I googled Hydrocortisone and Benzoyl Peroxide, to my surprise I came across this study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...9&dopt=Abstract

"The addition of 1% hydrocortisone eliminated the flare reaction to benzoyl peroxide seen in patients in the other two active treatment groups. The majority of patients found the preparations cosmetically acceptable."

And this product:

http://www.sumlab.com/shop/acne/vanoxide.asp

So I think I will apply start applying 1% Hydrocortisone Cream along with Dan's BP Gel since it can do no harm. Do you think I should apply the Cream at the same time as the Gel, or apply it half an hour later or something? Any ideas?

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

I think you'd be better off getting a topical anti-biotic from a GP or Dermatologist. They're usually alot less irritating/drying. If it is your eczema then BP will definately make it worse.

I actually remember this weeping case of yours, i think i offered advice and got shut down by someone saying that it wasn't bacterial.

It seriously sounds to me like clogged pores, and the weeping may be your immune systems attempt at fighting the acne. What's your diet like? Do you think you'd have a strong immune system?

I think you'd be better off getting a topical anti-biotic from a GP or Dermatologist. They're usually alot less irritating/drying. If it is your eczema then BP will definately make it worse.

I actually remember this weeping case of yours, i think i offered advice and got shut down by someone saying that it wasn't bacterial.

It seriously sounds to me like clogged pores, and the weeping may be your immune systems attempt at fighting the acne. What's your diet like? Do you think you'd have a strong immune system?

Eat a lot of fruit

Sandwiche for lunch

Ready meals or a pretty basic dinner

Eat quite a bit of porridge

That's about it, it's pretty hard to sum up my diet as it's pretty random really.

Can't eat Eggs, Fish or Nuts though, allergic to them.

I wouldn't think my immune system is that strong, I suffered through a heck of a lot of colds through the winter just gone by. Although first year at uni so might be expected (Fresher's Flu).

I was on a 7 week acne anti-biotic course, can't remember what it was called, but it basically didn't have any effect from what I observed.

There is a definite border to the area that weeps on my cheeks, with weeping skin (when it's not crusty) on one side and non-weeping skin on the other side. It's not symmetrical either comparing both cheeks, so it could be some infection. But then I don't understand how the PanOxyl BP stopped me from Weeping if it's some infection. When using the PanOxyl BP and if I didn't use it for twice a day, I started getting these micro-puss spots (no bump) which I never got before. Very tiny and sometime it would seem like it swarmed over my cheeks (10, 20 on one side). Then the micro zits is gone and some small patches on my cheeks that slightly weep. But applying the PanOxyl BP would clear that up after a day or so.

I couldn't apply the PanOxyl BP twice a day though because it made me so very red and dry, so it was a balance between how red I wanted my face to look and whether I wanted these micro-zits to pop up again... followed by slight weeping. That's why I thought Dan's BP would be the answer to all my problems.

It is hard to say but I think the weeping area is shrinking in size slowly. If the weeping area shrinks to nothing then hey I am sorted. So I will stick with Dan's BP and some Hydrocortsone Cream and hope for the best. After all I've only been on Dan's BP for 1 week now so it could still be a breakout caused by converting from the PanOxyl BP to Dan's BP.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Hydrocortisone cream thins the skin out though. In the long term it's going to make you more prone to both acne and eczema. It's a very temporary fix, with known long-term side effects.

If they are infections then the BP would have killed the bacteria in the same way it kills Propionibacterium Acne's; by oxygenating the skin. I'm not sure how broad BP's range is, but i would think it could reduce other bacteria that may occour on the face.

If i was in your situation, i would try the following.

-A topical anti-biotic

OR:

-Look into acids that are both great for congestion and have low irritation (Mandelic Acid springs to mind) *Lion Queen is a wiz regarding this.

Also,

-Get some Emu Oil

I'm currently using Dry Skin Relief Face Cream with 5% Urea which contains Lactic Acid which is an alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA).

Hydrocortisone only thins out the skin if used excessively and for a very prolonged period of time.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Alright then, best of luck. I hope the weeping and eczema clear.

Maybe you're allergic to the benzyl alcohol?

I *think* the "weeping you describe is just puss that oozes out after it pops.

You should really see a derm to find out what it is - also, you may need antibiotics to use in tandem with the BP.

Maybe you're allergic to the benzyl alcohol?

I *think* the "weeping you describe is just puss that oozes out after it pops.

You should really see a derm to find out what it is - also, you may need antibiotics to use in tandem with the BP.

Well I stopped using Dan's BP for a couple of days and instead used a couple of applications of Hydrocortisone in the mean time. I won't go into the details, but the result is no more weeping skin now.

Either I am suffering from Rosacea or a complex combination of Acne and Excema because the Hydrocortisone shouldn't of helped so much. I don't think I've ever had a Blackhead.

Rosacea doesn't weep. Eczema may, I don't know. I know that inflammatory acne can weep if there is a lot of pus.

I don't think I've ever had a Blackhead.

Rosacea doesn't weep. Eczema may, I don't know. I know that inflammatory acne can weep if there is a lot of pus.

I'm sorry, what does this mean? You can still have acne without blackheads. It may be cystic. I really think you need to see a derm. If you have eczema and acne, you should look into tazorac. I believe it started out for eczema. You can kill two birds with one stone. If it's eczema.

Is it just on your face?

I don't have plaque psoriasis, but I see that Tazorac is also indicated for mild to moderately severe facial acne vulgaris.

The weeping when it happens, yes only ever on my face, just on cheek area.

When I say I've never had a blackhead I mean that I think all I get is whitehead's (puss spots), this is only occasional I might add. But when I do some of them go a bit nasty and turn into a bump under the skin with no head.

Unless I flare-up again, I don't think I need any other tools in the box. Last night again with the application of Hydrocortisone I applied some of Dan's BP. There was slight stinging that persisted untill I fell asleep, but I wake up this morning and my cheek is as good as it's ever been, even redness is gone that one might of thought was Rosacea. A huge improvement in less than a week. But on the downside usually my skin starts to look really good and then I get another breakout or something, so have too see how it goes.

I fear though that the Hydrocortisone may just be holding back some irritating factor of Dan's BP (Benzyl Alcohol) perhaps.

I guess to first see if I don't breakout again, give it a week, and then to stop using or cut back on the Hydrocortisone and just use Dan's BP and moisturizer.