Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tanya826

Accutane - my new best friend

DAY 101

Woo hoo - I'm into the triple digits! :dance: Maybe only 25 more days to go? OMG, I really hope so, I'm ready to be off this stuff. I think I mentioned a while back that accutane is a true test of my patience...well, I'm failing that test miserably. On the plus side, skin is still doing good. Just the usual red marks that I'm sure will go away once I'm off 'tane.

Also happy to report that I survived the weekend with my family staying here. It was really great to see everyone (especially my 5 yr old nephew) but was I ever exhausted! And I learned that even just 2 glasses of wine makes me feel like crap the next day (stupid 'tane). Well, time for this tired girl to get to bed...

Take care all!

Tanya

Hi Tanya!

YEAH triple digits!!!! Do you really only have 25 more days to go!?! WOW!

Glad to hear you had a good weekend with the family! And I know what you mean about the drinking - no matter how much I drink...I still feel real lousy the next day. :doubt:

I'm super jealous your skin is doing so well - but you are about 40 days ahead of me...a lot can happen in 40 days..right?? :doubt:

SO CLOSE TANYA!!! Keep your chin up!

Kristen

Hi Tanya,

Glad to hear that things are going well. Your derm appt is at the end of September, right? Is that when you will find out if this is your last month? Will you have reached the optimum cumulative dosage by then?

Cheers,

Roxy

DAY 103

Same old, same old...Skin is still clear but have a few dry areas on my nose and chin right now. I finally admitted to myself that my eyes just can't handle contacts right now so the last few days I've been wearing glasses. I hope once I'm done, my eyes will go back to normal quickly.

Kirsten: Don't worry, you're going to see great results soon. Waiting really sucks but one day you're going to suddenly realize you're not breaking out anymore.

Roxy: Yup, end of September I get to see the idiot derm. I wonder if he'll actually look at my skin this time? I had worked out the cumulative dose a while ago (forget what the number is now) and it exceeded the recommended dose. So, maybe only 20 some days to go??? Arggh, I hate not knowing for sure...

Abby: Thanks for stopping by! Yeah, the red marks are annoying but I've noticed they've faded a bit (and make-up hides the rest).

Hope everyone's doing good! :) Time to get back to work...

Tanya

Tanya over 100 days already, isn't it flying by? I can't remember what it was like not to be on 'tane!

I'm sorry you can't wear your contacts anymore. I used to have contacts but I hated wearing glasses because I would always break/lose them. I had laser eye surgery in May 2005 and it has been the best decision I ever made! You should look into it. I went from being legally blind to having 20/15 vision. It's wonderful not having to worry about contact lens maintenance.

Hey Heather! Yeah, in one way the days are flying by but at the same time it seems like it's never going to end. It would probably help if I had a firm date for when I'll be done but no...that would just be too easy.

I'm really not liking wearing my glasses :( Partly because I'm vain but mostly because they're hurting my nose so-o-o much. Normally, they're comfortable to wear but I guess because my skin is so sensitive, they just dig into the skin. Laser eye surgery would be great (although it kinda freaks me out). I'll think I'll wait maybe a year or two for the price to go down even more and then I'll look into it.

DAY 106

So, I got one tiny pimple beside the corner of my mouth a couple of days ago (probably from all the lip stuff I smear on my mouth). But luckily, it's pretty much gone now. I'm now trying not to get all paranoid about one little pimple - last night I was scanning my face for any other possible newbies which I haven't done in a while. I've gotten to the point where I can just wash my face and apply lotion to the dry areas and that's it. Funny how one barely-there newbie can take you back to your pre-accutane days of looking in the mirror obsessively, checking out which spots are getting worse, which ones are going away, etc...

In non-skin related news: Charlie the cat has become a hunter - great :rolleyes: When I called her to come inside last night, she pranced proudly up the steps with a mouse in her mouth. Eventually, she dropped the poor mouse (it was still alive) but I couldn't open the door to let Charlie in because then the mouse might run inside too. Eventually the mouse ran away and I grabbed Charlie, which she was not too happy about - I swear, it sounded like she was crying. Yup, it was a pretty exciting Friday night...

Tanya

what's up tanya! i had to take a break for 2 days due to some side effects, but i am back and running again. the days i took off i started seeing some pimples come back. i am trying lots of water now. how much do you drink a day?

Tanya I was reading a magazine in my derm office and it said that if if you recurring breakouts on your chin or near your mouth, it might be caused by the hydrogen peroxide in whitening toothpaste. If that's what you currently use you might wanna try a different kind and see if it helps! I always thought it was from lip balm so I'll let you know if my switch makes a difference...

Hi Tanya! sounds like thigs have been going well. I havent been on the boards in over a month! I started a new job and it has been consuming all my time. I have another month and a half to go. I cant wait to be done too! Im tired of the accutane. :confused:

DAY 109

Skin: good (no newbies), joint pain: bad, fatigue: bad. That about sums it up, folks. Oh, and I noticed this a while ago but forgot to mention it - does anyone else's skin kinda 'stick' to things? For example, if you're wearing shorts or a skirt and sitting on a plastic chair, you have to practically pry your legs off of it? And when I'm in bed, turning over is getting to be a real challenge - I try to turn over and my arm is sticking to my side, my legs are stuck together, my joints are so sore I can barely move, AND I'm trying to move without squishing the cat. This is making for some real quality sleep! :rolleyes: If this gets much worse, I won't be able to move at all in my sleep and hubby will have to pry me apart in the morning!

So, I just realized that my derm appointment is on the 25th, not the 29th. That means less than 2 weeks until I find out when I'll be done with this stuff. Although accutane is my new best friend, I think I'm ready for a long-distance relationship...

Heather: thanks for the info about the toothpaste - does everything cause acne?! Hope your eye is doing better. I had that a couple of times (red and itchy) but the doctor thought it might just be irritated and not a bacterial infection. He must have been right because it did go away in a couple of days.

Lisa: you're back! Wow, you've been busy - moving, new job, caring for 2(?) kids - it would be hard enough to handle when you're not on 'tane, I don't know how you do it!

Take care all!

Tanya

Hey Tanya. Never had the sticky skin. That intersting though. The achey joints are tough. My lower back would bother me bad sometimes. Trying to sleep isn't always easy. Some days if I tried to lay down flat on my back it would hurt. Don't know that I can say it will get better right away but it will be over when you're done with the tane.

DAY 115

So, only one more week 'til I see the derm and find out will I'll be done accutane. I'm so thankful for how well 'tane has worked, but...please, please let me be done. I'm feeling completely worn down by some of the side effects, plus work has been crazy busy and is about to get worse so I'm sure that hasn't helped much.

My eye problems continue on - yesterday when I woke up, my left eye was so-o-o red and irritated. It's a bit better today but not a 100%. I really hope my eyes cooperate this week - I have to go out of town for a conference/meetings and I'd really prefer not to give a presentation with red eyes (people might start wondering what I've been smoking).

Well, that just about sums up my exciting life: red eyes and sore joints. I did go to an '80's party on the weekend though which was a tonne of fun. Hmmm...maybe all that blue eyeshadow has something do with my irritated eye...

Hey Jules! Thanks for stopping by! Bet you're starting to count down the days. Lets just hope all these 'fun' side effects don't last too long.

Tanya

Hi Tanya,

I saw the derm yesterday. She asked me about my side effects and I told her I was so very tired. She said that isnt a side effect of accutane. I think you and I know better!

You'll be done with your course soon though. I'm jealous.

hey tane buddy! it's been a while. just wanted to check in and see how things were going. i hear ya about the fatigue and the dry eyes. i have to lube up my eyes like twice a day.

wild stuff about the sticky skin.

hang in there girl - you're almost done!

Hi Tanya, I don't know what it is with our eyes this late in the treatment. Mine are irritated and red all the time lately. They itch and makeup makes it worse.

Good luck with your derm appt!

DAY 119

Well, I just got back from an exhausting 4 days out of town (Roxy, we definitely know better than your derm about the fatique thing!). It was kind of a conference thingy but it was also the 'official' launch of a report I wrote, which the media showed up for (yikes!). I think it went pretty well and there was a front page story in the newspaper today (small city, desperate for news) - I'm not loving my picture they used but at least my skin looks clear :rolleyes: Anyway, I'm so-o-o glad that's over with - being in the spotlight is not my thing...

Thanks for stopping by girls! :wub: It was so nice to get back home to today and read your comments! I'm off to the derm on Monday, which means I have to go for blood work tomorrow - kinda crappy since I could really use a drink tonight (or two or three) and some late night junk food. But no, instead I have to fast for 12 hours. Oh well, crossing my fingers that this'll be the last time for lab work.

Take care all - can't wait to catch up with everyone! :)

Tanya

DAY 122

Ten more days and...I'm DONE!!! :dance: I'm incredibly happy that this accutane journey is coming to an end but, to be honest, I'm also really scared. After just 4 months, I've gotten used to not having acne and a super oily face - what if it comes back? I guess I have to trust that 'tane has done its job but it's hard to have 100% faith in it.

The one frustrating thing about my derm visit is that I won't see him for 4 months and then he'll see about using a topical (if need be) but I know there lots of people on here who start using a retin-A right after 'tane. I don't understand why he's so conservative about this? Oh well, hopefully I won't need to use anything.

Tanya

Wow! Time sure does fly! 10 Days left!

I agree, that is really weird about the retin a thing. Seems like derms throw that stuff around like candy! Weird!

I am scared that the oil will come back too. I am going to ask my derm for Spiro. Apparently, you can even be on both accutane and spiro at the same time! From what I hear, it really cuts down on the oil.

Good Luck and Congrats!

K

Oh my gosh you only started 2 weeks before me and already done! I wish my derm gave me 60 and 80 mg so I could be done. I am NOWHERE NEAR! Wow that is so awesome, congrats!

(time to throw a party and get drunk ;)

Not much to report...skin's clear and I'm hoping it stays that way. Now, I'm just counting down the days 'till I'm done. :whistle: Only 6 days more to go!!!

I'm really hoping that once I'm done, my eyes make a quick recovery - they just seem to be getting worse these last few days. I also hope that my energy returns, although I partly blame my extreme fatique on the cat. Every single morning between 5:45 and 6:15 she jumps onto the bed, kneeds at my hair (not a good thing when your hair might be thinning a bit), and lays right on my head, purring away (loudly). Why can't she understand that if she just waits half an hour, I'd be happy to get up and feed her/let her outside? I guess this is a very small introduction into what it's like to be sleep-deprived when you have a baby. I'm going to be one grumpy mommy...

Thanks for stopping by Heather and Kirsten! Heather, a party will definitely be in order but I don't know if I can wait six more days. I might have to have an "I'm almost done accutane" party this weekend (it's been one of those weeks).

Take care everyone!

Tanya

Hmmm...what can I write about today? Oh, I know: I'm DONE!!! I finding it kinda hard to believe, like maybe I just forgot to take one of those bright yellow pills this morning but nope, I'm actually finished my 4 month course of 'tane. Now, if only I could start feeling 'normal' again...The exhaustion and sore eyes have completely worn me out, so much so that I can't even think of anything else to write. I'll keep y'all posted on how my skin's doing post-accutane (keeping my fingers crossed that it's all good). Here's one last pic (taken last week).

Oh, I thought of one more thing to write. I'm so incredibly thankful that I stumbled across this message board. This past year has definitely been a low-point and going on accutane terrified me. But, thanks to the support I found here, these last four months have gone so much better than I had expected. So, a huge thank-you to everyone who visited my log and offered their words of support! :wub:

Tanya

[attachmentid=6210]

post-40878-1160090644_thumb.jpg

post-40878-1160090644_thumb.jpg

Guest desperate in T.O

:clap: Congrats Tanya!!! :dance: I hope you kicked acne's ass back to the moon! I hope my skin looks as good as your when I'm all done my course. Thanks for your encouragement you and a lot of others on here have really helped motivate me to suck it up and do something about my acne. So thanks and good luck! :pray: