Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KK

What is emu oil?

I keep reading about it but don't know if it works or not. I mainly have red marks leftover from acne in the past. I want to dull out/get rid of the red marks and scars.

Thanks.

For some reason the search didn't work right.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

I'm using Emu Oil to combat dryness from retinoid use, so far it's amazing. It's very nourishing.

i was told by my derm when i brought the emu oil i bought from ebay, he said that putting FATTY ACIDS on ur face is not good for the pores and could clog it.. i dont blame him, my skin was really sensitive so i guess i got new tiny scratch scars.... dont use it if ur skin is thin

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

i was told by my derm when i brought the emu oil i bought from ebay, he said that putting FATTY ACIDS on ur face is not good for the pores and could clog it.. i dont blame him, my skin was really sensitive so i guess i got new tiny scratch scars.... dont use it if ur skin is thin

"When compared with human skin oil, the fatty acid composition of emu oil is found to be quite similar. In both types of oil, monounsaturated oleic acid is the most prevalent fatty acid, followed by palmitic acid, then linoleic acid, which is an EFA (essential fatty acid). This similarity may be one of the factors enabling emu oil to have such a positive action on human skin."

Composition of Emu Oil: The Micro View (1997) By Dr. Leigh Hopkins, AEA Oil Standards Team (Research Leader). (Reprinted from AEA News, Spring 1997 issue).

"Testing using rabbit ear histological assay, with emu oil in concentrations of 25%, 75%, and 100% show that emu oil in concentrations up to 100% is non-comedogenic, i.e. it does not clog the pores of the skin."

Emu Oil: Comedogenicity Testing: (Study done for E.R.I., 1993) By: Department of Dermatology, at Texas Medical School, Houston.

Emu Oil Characteristics and Modalities of Action

"Ability to penetrate the skin: Emu oil is nearly 100% triglyceride which means it is a nearly neutral lipid. Pharmacist and oil researcher Allen Strickland notes there is no phospherous in our skin. Emu oil is as well, non-phospherous which allows it to penetrate the skin. Most cosmetics and any petroleum based products contain phosphor-lipids and are blocked from fully penetrating through the layers of skin.

The oil is a rich source of EFAs and has fatty acid properties similar to human skin. Close to 50% of emu oil is Oleic acid. According to Dr. Craig-Schmidt of Auburn University, Oleic acid enhances the transport of bio-active compounds through the skin. Oleic acid is also anti-inflammatory.

In fact, emu oil has been used as a transport for other compounds. Dr. Dan Rivlin Head of Dermatopathology at Miami's Mt. Sinai Hospital and Professor at the University of Miami Medical School and Julie Brumlik of Dremu have a patent on emu oil and lidocaine. It’s the only penetrating topical anesthesia that works anywhere on the body. Anesthesias such as lidocaine have always been administered by injection.

Non-comedogenic: Emu oil does not clog pores, and therefore does not cause pimples. Other popular oils used in cosmetics such as mineral oil and rubbing oils do clog the pores. Studies done at University of Texas Medical School at Houston produced observational and histological scores of less than 1 which indicates emu oil is a substance not likely to produce a comedogenic response.

Hypo-allergenic: Even at full strength, emu oil has been shown to have irritation levels equivalent to water with no known side effects. Dr. G. R. Hobday of Australia used emu oil in his practice with over 500 patients over the span of 10 years and reported no allergic reactions.

Highly moisturizing, natural emollient, rejuvenates skin: The skin is our largest organ (about 17,000 square centimeters for the average person) and is composed of layers.

The first layer – the external layer we see – is the epidermis. The second layer is the dermis. These layers are joined together by “rete pegs� which give the skin tautness and elasticity. The skin gets thinner as we age causing the rete pegs to disappear and the skin to sag and wrinkle.

Professor of Medicine, Physiology, and Dermatology at Boston University School of Medicine Dr. Michael Holick was able to show that emu oil could slow aging and thinning of the skin by 30%. As well, the oil helps grow back the rete pegs and reduces the slackening or looseness of skin that makes wrinkles occur.

Emu oil is also highly moisturizing which plumps up the epidermis making it smoother and softer.

Various skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, keloids, epithelialized wounds and burns have responded well to emu oil treatments. According to Dr. Leigh Hopkins, “The healing has to be occurring within the dermis (skin's lower levels), and in the cells that are viable, that is, cells that can divide.�

Dr. John Griswold of the Timothy J. Harner Burn Center At Texas Tech University Medical Center in a nine month study of 10 burn patients showed the patients unanimously favored emu oil. Additionally, the oil allowed better reduction of scarring and inflammation as compared to the standard treatment.

Good emulsifier: Emu oil has good blendability which means it can be blended with other ingredients to form a cream that does not feel oily on the skin, but still penetrates the skin."

Moisturizing and Cosmetic Properties of Emu Oil: A Double Blind Study, 1994, Dr. Alexander Zemtsov, Indiana University School of Medicine: Dr. Monica Gaddis, Ball Memorial Hospital; and Dr. Victor Montalvo-Lugo, Ball Memorial Hospital.

------------------------------------------

Although i may be missing something, i'm of the opinion that Emu Oil is actually very beneficial to thin skin.

When the skin's barriers are compromised, for whatever reasons that may be, it's important to replace them. It is my belief that the best possible thing to replace them with is something as similar in structure as possible to the original barriers. Emu Oil seems very suitable.

Regardless of all that, the proof is always in the pudding. For myself, Emu Oil is proving quite effective.

ok........ i dont get it then, if it is so good and great for skin, why isn't packaged and sold behind a counter or at a dermatologist office???

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

ok........ i dont get it then, if it is so good and great for skin, why isn't packaged and sold behind a counter or at a dermatologist office???

It is sold behind counters. I purchased mine from a health store. It's like you're suggesting that people have to lance an Emu and drain it of oil.

Some Dermatologist's probably do sell it. It's a fairly new find in terms of being widely used as a skin care product, it takes time for people to realise the benefits of such things. And there are always hurdles to clear along the way. Such as people who like to bash before they know!

I buy mine from shoppersdrugmart here in canada. It's a pharmacy. They sell it all over pharmacies man. I can vouch it really does work amazingly.

so it hasn't cost you guys addition scarrings? also it helps with red marks and shallow scars???

Addtional scarring? Nope! Not for me anyway!

This is the ONLY thing I have found (other the jojoba) that will moisturize my skin without breaking it out/irritating it on some way.

:dance: YAY FOR THE EMU :dance:

I use emu oil daily, usually mixed with another moisturizer or with my sunscreen. Great stuff.

Awesome post, GTO!

so what kind of emu oil do you guys use?? don't tell me you guys bought it off ebay, and i would like to know the specific kind of oil to get for sensitive facial skin.