Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Edge-EL

Sebheorric Dermatitis and Accutane

Hey guys, I havent been to these forums in a long time since they usually depress me.

I decided to go on a course of Accutane (Amnesteem) 40 MG Daily, and I was wondering if it will permanently cure my Seb derm. I have it really really bad all over my face, and im already on day 7 of my Accutane and my face is incredibly red and my skin has peeled so badly that it's raw to the extreme (it's getting better with constant moisturizing, though) and I noticed that my face is healing normally instead of shedding skin every 5-6 days.

I've had pretty bad nodular acne for about 5 years (off an on) throughout parts of my face, and a cyst every now and then and I finally decided to go on Accutane.

The biggest problem I wanted to fix was Sebheorric Dermatitis on my scalp, face and hands by using Accutane.

Did I make a good decision?

Hey guys, I havent been to these forums in a long time since they usually depress me.

I decided to go on a course of Accutane (Amnesteem) 40 MG Daily, and I was wondering if it will permanently cure my Seb derm. I have it really really bad all over my face, and im already on day 7 of my Accutane and my face is incredibly red and my skin has peeled so badly that it's raw to the extreme (it's getting better with constant moisturizing, though) and I noticed that my face is healing normally instead of shedding skin every 5-6 days.

I've had pretty bad nodular acne for about 5 years (off an on) throughout parts of my face, and a cyst every now and then and I finally decided to go on Accutane.

The biggest problem I wanted to fix was Sebheorric Dermatitis on my scalp, face and hands by using Accutane.

Did I make a good decision?

I guess it's always my posts no one can answer :(

Maybe, maybe not. It's not really possible to determine how long lasting the sebum reduction will be for you. Most people who take a course of isotretinoin report that oil returns, although usually not as extreme as it was before. Since your condition is beleived to be caused by fungi feeding on sebum, then decreasing sebum might be beneficial. Although when i have heard of this i was under the impression that they used an extremely low dose, but your dose seems normal. Did your doctor prescribe isotretinoin for your acne or for the seborrheic dermatitis? Are you expecting a full course or an abbreviated one?

Maybe, maybe not. It's not really possible to determine how long lasting the sebum reduction will be for you. Most people who take a course of isotretinoin report that oil returns, although usually not as extreme as it was before. Since your condition is beleived to be caused by fungi feeding on sebum, then decreasing sebum might be beneficial. Although when i have heard of this i was under the impression that they used an extremely low dose, but your dose seems normal. Did your doctor prescribe isotretinoin for your acne or for the seborrheic dermatitis? Are you expecting a full course or an abbreviated one?

I appreciate the response.

I personally, told my dermatologist (who is an amazing one) that I wanted to go on accutane due to continuous acne and oil production. She didn't say anything about me having seb derm, I just THINK I have it since ive had the symptoms mildly on my face but pretty bad on my scalp. I don't believe it's rosacea because it's not continually red, my face just flakes really bad and itches when i blush or shower. I have had continuous acne for 5 years now, gradually slowing down but turning into cysts and hard nodules in the past year or so. I am going to do a full course to make sure it's gone forever, I just hope I havent made a mistake by doing it.

I had that on my scalp and the accutane cleared it. I used to get red itchy flaky skin around my nostrils and the accutane fixed that too.