Anyone try this yet?

MemberMember
(@r-s)

Posted : 05/27/2006 12:14 pm

Yes. I recommend it along with MSM.

MemberMember
(@shake-off-the-dust-arise)

Posted : 05/27/2006 1:49 pm

yea I have been taking it for the past year.

Its not a cure but it helped me alot.

MemberMember
(@elephant-max)

Posted : 05/28/2006 3:44 am

NAC and milk thistle have been shown to be supportive of liver function. although i question the link between the liver and acne, NAC and milk thistle are good things in terms of general health.

MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 05/28/2006 7:22 am

NAC and milk thistle have been shown to be supportive of liver function. although i question the link between the liver and acne, NAC and milk thistle are good things in terms of general health.

The liver breaks down active hormones into their less active state....that would be a good thing. Anyway, NAC is brilliant for many reasons just as the liver in good health is brilliant for many reasons. Regarding acne NAC can do the following:

Detoxify heavy metals (perhaps eliminating mercury)

Increase Glutathione

Decrease/Regulate IGF-1

Improve Glucose Metabolism (has to do with glutathione & inflammation)

Reduces oxidation (prevents inflammaton, etc)

Reduce Inflammation (i.e. TNFa that can damage Glut4 involved in glucose metabolism in cells)

Decrease Insulin Resistance (due to above )

Decrease/Regulate hormones associated with acne

Fertil Steril. 2002 Jun;77(6):1128-35. Related Articles, Links

N-acetyl-cysteine treatment improves insulin sensitivity in women with polycystic ovary syndrome.

Fulghesu AM, Ciampelli M, Muzj G, Belosi C, Selvaggi L, Ayala GF, Lanzone A.

Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Roma, Italy.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the effect of N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) on insulin secretion and peripheral insulin resistance in subjects with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). DESIGN: Prospective data analysis. SETTING: Volunteer women in an academic research environment. PATIENT(S): Six lean and 31 obese subjects, aged 19-33 years. INTERVENTION(S): Patients were treated for 5-6 weeks with NAC at a dose of 1.8 g/day orally. A dose of 3 g/day was arbitrarily chosen for massively obese subjects. Six of 31 obese patients with PCOS were treated with placebo and served as controls. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE(S): Before and after the treatment period, the hormonal and lipid blood profile and insulin sensitivity, assessed by an hyperinsulinemic euglycemic clamp, were evaluated and an oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) was performed. RESULT(S): Fasting glucose, fasting insulin, and glucose area under curve (AUC) were unchanged after treatment. Insulin AUC after OGTT was significantly reduced, and the peripheral insulin sensitivity increased after NAC administration, whereas the hepatic insulin extraction was unaffected. The NAC treatment induced a significant fall in T levels and in free androgen index values (P<.05). In analyzing patients according to their insulinemic response to OGTT, normoinsulinemic subjects and placebo-treated patients did not show any modification of the above parameters, whereas a significant improvement was observed in hyperinsulinemic subjects. CONCLUSION(S): NAC may be a new treatment for the improvement of insulin circulating levels and insulin sensitivity in hyperinsulinemic patients with polycystic ovary syndrome.

Publication Types:

Clinical Trial

Controlled Clinical Trial

PMID: 12057717 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2003 Oct;285(4):E744-53. Epub 2003 Jun 10. Related Articles, Links

N-acetylcysteine and taurine prevent hyperglycemia-induced insulin resistance in vivo: possible role of oxidative stress.

Haber CA, Lam TK, Yu Z, Gupta N, Goh T, Bogdanovic E, Giacca A, Fantus IG.

Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai Hospital, 60 Murray Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X5.

Exposure to high concentrations of glucose and insulin results in insulin resistance of metabolic target tissues, a characteristic feature of type 2 diabetes. High glucose has also been associated with oxidative stress, and increased levels of reactive oxygen species have been proposed to cause insulin resistance. To determine whether oxidative stress contributes to insulin resistance induced by hyperglycemia in vivo, nondiabetic rats were infused with glucose for 6 h to maintain a circulating glucose concentration of 15 mM with and without coinfusion of the antioxidant N-acetylcysteine (NAC), followed by a 2-h hyperinsulinemic-euglycemic clamp. High glucose (HG) induced a significant decrease in insulin-stimulated glucose uptake [tracer-determined disappearance rate (Rd), control 41.2 +/- 1.7 vs. HG 32.4 +/- 1.9 mg. kg-1. min-1, P < 0.05], which was prevented by NAC (HG + NAC 45.9 +/- 3.5 mg. kg-1. min-1). Similar results were obtained with the antioxidant taurine. Neither NAC nor taurine alone altered Rd. HG caused a significant (5-fold) increase in soleus muscle protein carbonyl content, a marker of oxidative stress that was blocked by NAC, as well as elevated levels of malondialdehyde and 4-hydroxynonenal, markers of lipid peroxidation, which were reduced by taurine. In contrast to findings after long-term hyperglycemia, there was no membrane translocation of novel isoforms of protein kinase C in skeletal muscle after 6 h. These data support the concept that oxidative stress contributes to the pathogenesis of hyperglycemia-induced insulin resistance. http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/285/4/E744

Thanks to the first article as well as a few testimonies on Curezone and Soulcysters.net It's been a week since I started taking a therapeutic dose of 1200mg + 2000mg of Vitamin C to deal with unwanted hair (I'll increase if need be). Unless you have a good regimen of diet and exercise or something else, if you want to acheive the results in the study you should take doses used in the study (1800mg - 3200mg or more). Of course it's best to break these supplements into 2 - 4x a day. The Vitamin C should be 2 - 3x the amount of NAC (so I need to take more) and should be divided into 4 doses throughout the day.

That's all for now ;)

MemberMember
(@elephant-max)

Posted : 05/28/2006 12:32 pm

The liver breaks down active hormones into their less active state....that would be a good thing. Anyway, NAC is brilliant for many reasons just as the liver in good health is brilliant for many reasons. Regarding acne NAC can do the following:

Increase Glutathione

Decrease/Regulate IGF-1

Reduce Inflammation (i.e. TNFa that can damage Glut4 involved in glucose metabolism in cells)

N-acetyl-cysteine treatment improves insulin sensitivity in women with polycystic ovary syndrome.

Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Roma, Italy.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the effect of N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) on insulin secretion and peripheral insulin resistance in subjects with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). DESIGN: Prospective data analysis. SETTING: Volunteer women in an academic research environment. PATIENT(S): Six lean and 31 obese subjects, aged 19-33 years. INTERVENTION(S): Patients were treated for 5-6 weeks with NAC at a dose of 1.8 g/day orally. A dose of 3 g/day was arbitrarily chosen for massively obese subjects. Six of 31 obese patients with PCOS were treated with placebo and served as controls. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE(S): Before and after the treatment period, the hormonal and lipid blood profile and insulin sensitivity, assessed by an hyperinsulinemic euglycemic clamp, were evaluated and an oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) was performed. RESULT(S): Fasting glucose, fasting insulin, and glucose area under curve (AUC) were unchanged after treatment. Insulin AUC after OGTT was significantly reduced, and the peripheral insulin sensitivity increased after NAC administration, whereas the hepatic insulin extraction was unaffected. The NAC treatment induced a significant fall in T levels and in free androgen index values (P<.05). In analyzing patients according to their insulinemic response to OGTT, normoinsulinemic subjects and placebo-treated patients did not show any modification of the above parameters, whereas a significant improvement was observed in hyperinsulinemic subjects. CONCLUSION(S): NAC may be a new treatment for the improvement of insulin circulating levels and insulin sensitivity in hyperinsulinemic patients with polycystic ovary syndrome.

Publication Types:

Clinical Trial

Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2003 Oct;285(4):E744-53. Epub 2003 Jun 10. Related Articles, Links

N-acetylcysteine and taurine prevent hyperglycemia-induced insulin resistance in vivo: possible role of oxidative stress.

Haber CA, Lam TK, Yu Z, Gupta N, Goh T, Bogdanovic E, Giacca A, Fantus IG.

Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai Hospital, 60 Murray Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X5.

Exposure to high concentrations of glucose and insulin results in insulin resistance of metabolic target tissues, a characteristic feature of type 2 diabetes. High glucose has also been associated with oxidative stress, and increased levels of reactive oxygen species have been proposed to cause insulin resistance. To determine whether oxidative stress contributes to insulin resistance induced by hyperglycemia in vivo, nondiabetic rats were infused with glucose for 6 h to maintain a circulating glucose concentration of 15 mM with and without coinfusion of the antioxidant N-acetylcysteine (NAC), followed by a 2-h hyperinsulinemic-euglycemic clamp. High glucose (HG) induced a significant decrease in insulin-stimulated glucose uptake [tracer-determined disappearance rate (Rd), control 41.2 +/- 1.7 vs. HG 32.4 +/- 1.9 mg. kg-1. min-1, P < 0.05], which was prevented by NAC (HG + NAC 45.9 +/- 3.5 mg. kg-1. min-1). Similar results were obtained with the antioxidant taurine. Neither NAC nor taurine alone altered Rd. HG caused a significant (5-fold) increase in soleus muscle protein carbonyl content, a marker of oxidative stress that was blocked by NAC, as well as elevated levels of malondialdehyde and 4-hydroxynonenal, markers of lipid peroxidation, which were reduced by taurine. In contrast to findings after long-term hyperglycemia, there was no membrane translocation of novel isoforms of protein kinase C in skeletal muscle after 6 h. These data support the concept that oxidative stress contributes to the pathogenesis of hyperglycemia-induced insulin resistance. http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/285/4/E744

Thanks to the first article as well as a few testimonies on Curezone and Soulcysters.net It's been a week since I started taking a therapeutic dose of 1200mg + 2000mg of Vitamin C to deal with unwanted hair (I'll increase if need be). Unless you have a good regimen of diet and exercise or something else, if you want to acheive the results in the study you should take doses used in the study (1800mg - 3200mg or more). Of course it's best to break these supplements into 2 - 4x a day. The Vitamin C should be 2 - 3x the amount of NAC (so I need to take more) and should be divided into 4 doses throughout the day.

That's all for now ;)

just keeping in mind the first study was done in diseased patients, so it could be some sort of deficiency model

MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 05/28/2006 1:19 pm

Increase Glutathione

Decrease/Regulate IGF-1

Publication Types:

Clinical Trial

just keeping in mind the first study was done in diseased patients, so it could be some sort of deficiency model

Um...do you not believe that acne is or can be (a symptom of) a disease?

That acne is not related to Insulin Resistance, which is what the first study was concerning (PCOS is one type of disease linked to it)?

Or that acne develops as a result of inflammation (via immune activation) which is what the second study covered?

Thanks.

MemberMember
(@and1)

Posted : 09/10/2013 11:42 am

Here is a study that reveals that the effect of taking 1200 mg of NAC daily is quite significant when it comes to acne. It does not cure it, but will reduce acne a great deal. I am wondering why NAC has not been discussed more frequently on this forum, because it attacks acne on multiple levels. It influences insulin sensitivity positively, helps raise glutathion etc.

http://www.omicsonline.org/2155-9554/2155-9554-3-163.php?aid=10078

Group (2): includes 14 patients, seven males and seven females: were treated with N-acetylcysteine 1200 mg/day orally: one effervescent tablet of N-acetylcysteine 600 milligram (FLUIMUCIL; Zambon company) twice daily.

MemberMember
(@gouldbergvariations)

Posted : 09/11/2013 10:31 pm

Take a wide range of antioxidants regardless of it's effects on acne. Alpha lipoic acid, n acetyl cysteine, and vitamin c is my current antioxidant lineup.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/12/2013 5:40 pm

Here is a study that reveals that the effect of taking 1200 mg of NAC daily is quite significant when it comes to acne. It does not cure it, but will reduce acne a great deal. I am wondering why NAC has not been discussed more frequently on this forum, because it attacks acne on multiple levels. It influences insulin sensitivity positively, helps raise glutathion etc.

Group (2): includes 14 patients, seven males and seven females: were treated with N-acetylcysteine 1200 mg/day orally: one effervescent tablet of N-acetylcysteine 600 milligram (FLUIMUCIL; Zambon company) twice daily.

http://www.acneeinstein.com/studies-reveal-almost-irrefutable-evidence-for-the-root-cause-of-acne/

It has been discussed a lot. Other forms of sulphur as well. Just not recently. There aren't a lot of people lately around interested in comprehending, researching & discussing how acne & skin work. But there used to be.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 09/12/2013 11:25 pm

I took cysteine for some time with B5, neither seemed to do much of anything (although I noticed a slight reduction in oil). My acne is pretty much all comedones, those tiny under-the-skin bumps. I'm wondering if NAC could be worth a try...maybe it's different enough from normal cysteine to make a difference.

MemberMember
(@and1)

Posted : 09/13/2013 2:24 am

Take a wide range of antioxidants regardless of it's effects on acne. Alpha lipoic acid, n acetyl cysteine, and vitamin c is my current antioxidant lineup.

What brand of NAC at what dosage at which bodyweight do you take? The same info about ALA would be appreciated as well!

http://www.acneeinstein.com/studies-reveal-almost-irrefutable-evidence-for-the-root-cause-of-acne/

It has been discussed a lot. Other forms of sulphur as well. Just not recently. There aren't a lot of people lately around interested in comprehending, researching & discussing how acne & skin work. But there used to be.

Yeah, unfortunately the diet & holistic health forum has really fallen off, although there are better supplements available than ever before and more information as well. Don't want to digress, but can't believe why people on here are not talking about liver flushing anymore.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/13/2013 1:13 pm

I never took NAC, but I took l-glutathione, which is what NAC boosts. I figured I'd go straight to the source and try glutathione first. I know most people say glutathione as a supplement doesn't get utilized in the body because it doesn't get broken down fully so it's not absorbed. However, in my case, I noticed marked improvement within the first week I started taking it. I only took it for 1-2 months at a time because, as with other detoxifiers like milk thistle, it loses its effectiveness. A naturopath/pharmacist recommended I rotate between NAC, selenium, l-glutathione, and milk thistle but milk thistle gave me a nasty reaction so I just stuck with glutathione. I think NAC is definitely stronger, I was just afraid of getting a purging reaction similar to the one I got with milk thistle so I haven't tried it yet. And it's also supposed to have anti-androgenic properties, correct? I've seen it mentioned on PCOS forums.

Question: I was told by my allergist to avoid sulfites because they raise my histamines. Suphur (as in NAC and MSM) is different from sulfites right? I thought there might be some overlap.

MemberMember
(@and1)

Posted : 09/13/2013 2:40 pm

I never took NAC, but I took l-glutathione, which is what NAC boosts. I figured I'd go straight to the source and try glutathione first. I know most people say glutathione as a supplement doesn't get utilized in the body because it doesn't get broken down fully so it's not absorbed. However, in my case, I noticed marked improvement within the first week I started taking it. I only took it for 1-2 months at a time because, as with other detoxifiers like milk thistle, it loses its effectiveness. A naturopath/pharmacist recommended I rotate between NAC, selenium, l-glutathione, and milk thistle but milk thistle gave me a nasty reaction so I just stuck with glutathione. I think NAC is definitely stronger, I was just afraid of getting a purging reaction similar to the one I got with milk thistle so I haven't tried it yet. And it's also supposed to have anti-androgenic properties, correct? I've seen it mentioned on PCOS forums.

Question: I was told by my allergist to avoid sulfites because they raise my histamines. Suphur (as in NAC and MSM) is different from sulfites right? I thought there might be some overlap.

Time and time again you read that Silymarin/Milk Thistle loses its effectiveness over time. But I have never seen a study or somebody I'd consider an expert mention this. Quite the contrary I know that there are protocols to healing certain diseases that include constant Silymarin supplementation, I actually know a person for whom such a protocol has worked so... I wonder. I have googled but have not found an answer maybe you got one...

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/13/2013 3:56 pm

W

Time and time again you read that Silymarin/Milk Thistle loses its effectiveness over time. But I have never seen a study or somebody I'd consider an expert mention this. Quite the contrary I know that there are protocols to healing certain diseases that include constant Silymarin supplementation, I actually know a person for whom such a protocol has worked so... I wonder. I have googled but have not found an answer maybe you got one...

I was taking a whole food multivitamin that contained a small amount of milk thistle and I was fine taking it for 2 years, but therapeutic/cleansing doses of milk thistle usually lose their effectiveness after 2-4 weeks based on user experiences. As for l-glutathione, which is a slower and less extreme liver detoxifier, I'm only going by my experience because before using it I read various posts on acne.org that claimed it doesn't get absorbed by the body in supplement form. And yet, I started noticing an improvement in my skin and digestion within the first week of taking it. So I would recommend trying that before milk thistle, but I know that some people swear by milk thistle. Unfortunately, on its own it gave me a bad detox reaction along with fever and palpitations, and the dose I was taking was low esp. compared to what some people on here have taken.

But yeah, the consensus seems to be to rotate your detox herbs....NAC seems to be the one that you could stay on for longer periods of time, but you need to give your liver a break at some point.

MemberMember
(@and1)

Posted : 09/13/2013 9:03 pm

Glutathion is the strongest antioxidant in the body, it can chelate even have metalls.I boost it using other supps such as zinc, selenium etc

My experience with milk thistle is that you have to find a qquality brand that works. Still have some Now Foods Silymarin it does nothing but give me headaches.I am taking about 1.5 g over the day.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/14/2013 4:47 pm

I was taking solgar's milk thistle, and only taking the recommended amount and even less than that but I still had strange reactions to it. Have you experienced any side effects from NAC?

MemberMember
(@studcrew)

Posted : 10/03/2013 3:45 pm

yeah what are the side effects of N-A-C?

MemberMember
(@studcrew)

Posted : 10/03/2013 3:46 pm

I was taking solgar's milk thistle, and only taking the recommended amount and even less than that but I still had strange reactions to it. Have you experienced any side effects from NAC?

W

I was taking a whole food multivitamin that contained a small amount of milk thistle and I was fine taking it for 2 years, but therapeutic/cleansing doses of milk thistle usually lose their effectiveness after 2-4 weeks based on user experiences. As for l-glutathione, which is a slower and less extreme liver detoxifier, I'm only going by my experience because before using it I read various posts on acne.org that claimed it doesn't get absorbed by the body in supplement form. And yet, I started noticing an improvement in my skin and digestion within the first week of taking it. So I would recommend trying that before milk thistle, but I know that some people swear by milk thistle. Unfortunately, on its own it gave me a bad detox reaction along with fever and palpitations, and the dose I was taking was low esp. compared to what some people on here have taken.

But yeah, the consensus seems to be to rotate your detox herbs....NAC seems to be the one that you could stay on for longer periods of time, but you need to give your liver a break at some point.

W

Why do we need to give NAC a break? Doesn't it help the liver?

MemberMember
(@studcrew)

Posted : 10/03/2013 9:27 pm

Btw, I just bought:

1) N-A-C

2) Alpha Lipoic Acid

3) Vitamin E

4) Selenium

Let's see how this goes against cystic acne.

Currently this is my current stack:

1) DIM

2) Calcium D-Glucarate

3) Probiotics

4) Digestive Enzymes

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 10/04/2013 7:28 pm

Btw, I just bought:

1) N-A-C

2) Alpha Lipoic Acid

3) Vitamin E

4) Selenium

Let's see how this goes against cystic acne.

Currently this is my current stack:

1) DIM

2) Calcium D-Glucarate

3) Probiotics

4) Digestive Enzymes

NAC side effects are not very common, but with long term use they become more likely. Here's one study: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/09/25/this-common-antioxidant-supplement-could-cause-you-loads-of-trouble.aspx

This is based on the side effects that mice experienced when taking NAC, it hasn't been studied on humans yet. But this is a scary prospect.

Also, detox supplements need to be rotated (e.g. 2-4 weeks on milk thistle, then NAC, then something else like l-glutathione or selenium) because your body might get used to them and they tend to not work as well after that time period. That's what a naturopath told me, and I noticed it myself when taking l-glutathione. at first, it worked really well, but when I was taking it every day it lost its effectiveness until I took a break from it.

I personally try to avoid herbal detoxifiers, like milk thistle, because they raise my histamines. I had a terrible detox/allergic reaction to milk thistle, and I was taking the recommended dosage, not megadosing. I never had an adverse reaction to glutathione or selenium, and I haven't tried NAC yet because right now I'm fine with just digestive enzymes and the occasional probiotic.