Notifications
Clear all

Sweet potato rediscovered....

MemberMember
(@enxinoman)

Posted : 09/02/2003 10:54 pm

I want to share something.

When i was in high school (height of breakouts 1990's) i notice that whenever i eat sweet potatoes my skin feels tighter and acne's seems to subside the following days.

I went on a high sweet potato diet for 1 month and everybody complimented ( i was the notoriously famous 'acneman' ) and asked what medicine was i taking. My skin did clear up.

Last week out of nowhere i thought of researching about the nutritional contents of sweet potato...

http://www.sweetpotatosweets.com/nutrition.html

Geez It's probably the cheapest source of natural vit E and A on the planet. I'm now on a sweet potato /high vit c diet again and hopefully get the same results 14 yrs ago. I've been on it for 1 week already and It's clearing up again.

Do check it out ! Do add it on your diet.. it's not expensive.

MemberMember
(@texasmomtam)

Posted : 09/02/2003 11:01 pm

Guess what my family is having for dinner tomorrow night, hehe!

Thanks enxinoman,

Tam

MemberMember
(@philey-o-fish)

Posted : 09/03/2003 12:11 am

cool

MemberMember
(@lady-francey-pance)

Posted : 09/03/2003 9:31 am

:watches as sweet potatoes disappear from supermarkets worldwide:

MemberMember
(@sullen-girl)

Posted : 09/03/2003 9:41 am

lol lady francey.. hey thats pretty cool that sweet potato thing

MemberMember
(@enxinoman)

Posted : 09/03/2003 10:05 pm

I would suggest taking sweet potatoes on a 3 days on 2 days off scheme this way you get to enjoy other foods. There will come a time that the sight of sweet potatoes suppresses your appetite, lay off it for a week then resume taking it.

To me, Sweet potato is similar to RELIGION. I only remember when i'm desparate and exhausted all solutions. Sometimes we know what should be done and we procrastinate and regret it later.

From experience, i feel the difference on my skin after 1 week straight of taking them. Afterwhich i take them on a 3 day on 2 days off scheme. Btw, There are 2 kinds of sweet potatoes (here in the philippines ) the yellowish and the orange-y kind. The later is much softer, i only have them steamed.

It might give people gas ( it does to me 8-[ ). I take them around dinner so in the morning when i 'go' i won't have to worry about gas for the rest of the day.

I do hope that people try my sweet potato suggestion.

1. Its not expensive medicine or drug

2. Its food ergo its NATURAL

3. You have nothing to lose !

MemberMember
(@maya)

Posted : 09/04/2003 5:59 am

Yeah, I love seet potatoes too.. I like slicing them and spraying Olive oil over them and baking - YUM!!!

MemberMember
(@enxinoman)

Posted : 09/14/2003 9:45 pm

8-[

MemberMember
(@aidandc)

Posted : 03/07/2009 2:58 pm

I have been eating one to two sweet potatoes each day as an addition to a two month dietary switch that consists entirely of stir fried vegetables (broccoli, red bell peppers, snow peas, carrots, baby boy chok, garlic, onions, kale, etc etc) and tofu. No matter how much stir fry I ate, I was still so hungry by the end of the week, so I started adding sweet potatoes even though I initially thought the sugar and starch might be really bad for me. Hasnt broken me out at all yet, so Im thinking these can only be a good thing?

MemberMember
(@cest-la-vigne)

Posted : 03/07/2009 3:16 pm

Moved to Nutrition & Holistic Health.

MemberMember
(@ghostunit)

Posted : 03/07/2009 5:27 pm

Sweet potatoes fried in extra virgin coconut oil IS AwesomE

Someday I will add sweet potatoes into my diet/

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/07/2009 6:40 pm

Yeah. I keep telling people to have them for breakfast. They make a great substitute for the sweet, refined cereals and breads we tend to want for breakfast.

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 03/07/2009 7:27 pm

I highly recommend them as well!! Also, they contain hyaluronic acid, definitely something you should consider adding to your diet if you'd like to slow the effects of aging! You can read why here: http://www.hyaluronic.co.uk/information.php

MemberMember
(@wapak)

Posted : 03/07/2009 11:27 pm

wow! cool!!

dude, how much do you get each orange-y sweet potatoes? were kababayan's! haha..

and what do you call it in tagalog? kamote ba?

MemberMember
(@daxxx)

Posted : 03/07/2009 11:38 pm

hey ive been eating sweet potato french fries for dinner at work some nights for the past week. DAMN THEY ARE FRIKKIN GOOD. I was eating these because im tryin to keep my GL a little lower than usual to see if it helps. One thing i am really curious about is they come with a butter/brownsugar dipping sauce and im wondering if this is totally defeating what im trying to do. Whatever its good with or without.

MemberMember
(@aidandc)

Posted : 03/08/2009 3:03 am

Yeah. I keep telling people to have them for breakfast. They make a great substitute for the sweet, refined cereals and breads we tend to want for breakfast.

Yeah, I have definitely been having a half or whole one for breakfast most mornings. Green vegetables just dont really work so well before noon, but a mashed up sweet potato is perfect. Im staying away from adding any sugar, butter, or syrup - just a little salt or whats the point really.

MemberMember
(@aidandc)

Posted : 03/08/2009 9:57 am

Im not sure how reliable this site is, but the listed information played a big part in me incorporating sweet potatoes in my diet.

http://www.foodreference.com/html/sweet-pot-nutrition.html

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/08/2009 10:14 am

I was eating these because im tryin to keep my GL a little lower than usual to see if it helps. One thing i am really curious about is they come with a butter/brownsugar dipping sauce and im wondering if this is totally defeating what im trying to do.

Yes, brown sugar would not be low GI. Frying isn't good either.

MemberMember
(@ghostunit)

Posted : 03/08/2009 10:39 am

I was eating these because im tryin to keep my GL a little lower than usual to see if it helps. One thing i am really curious about is they come with a butter/brownsugar dipping sauce and im wondering if this is totally defeating what im trying to do.

Unless he use Nutiva extra virgin coconut oil then is ok to fry it. :)

I would use stevia over brownsugar.

^^

MemberMember
(@daxxx)

Posted : 03/08/2009 11:09 am

^^

thanks for the info. i really want to eat some more of these but in a healthy manner

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/08/2009 1:36 pm

^^

thanks for the info. i really want to eat some more of these but in a healthy manner

It's highly unlikely the restaurant is using a good oil for frying.

MemberMember
(@daxxx)

Posted : 03/08/2009 2:33 pm

^^

lol yea they arent i meant at home though

MemberMember
(@ghostunit)

Posted : 03/08/2009 2:52 pm

^^

lol yea they arent i meant at home though

You should buy nutiva extra virgin coconut oil GALLON :) it will last long.

it cost $55+ is very cheap!!! 128oz!

At my health store they sell the 15oz for $12!!!! rip off. I just noticed that , so i am going to order the gallon. I could save money that way

MemberMember
(@aidandc)

Posted : 03/08/2009 7:09 pm

better yet - just steam or bake them. not sure what microwaving does to the nutrients - anyone on that?

MemberMember
(@cool-as-kim-deal)

Posted : 03/08/2009 7:43 pm

Sweet potatoes, kale, chickpeas, peanut butter, broth, cumin, chili, onion, thyme, garlic - combine to make a delicious stew.