Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i hate being on birth control and being on accutane too. the side effects (in my experience) are doubled. i have put on weight so easily and it is so hard to lose the weight. my boobs are twice the size they normally are (this is the honest truth), but that's probably the only nice effect. i know accutane comes along with some side effects all on its own, but with birth control, it's unbearable. i just want to stop taking it. my doctor doesn't seem to believe that i'm not sexually active (and how could i possibly prove that to him?) so there's no convincing him otherwise. i've even been experiencing sever e leg pain and numbness in my right leg which could possibly mean blood clotting due to the birth control.

it makes me so different. it makes feel like i'm just not myself anymore.

i am considering to just stop taking it on my own. if i'm not having sex, and i know that i'm not, what other reason should i stay on birth control while being on accutane?

i hate being a girl.

and i'm sorry i had to vent to you poor people.

:cry:

solia. it's supposed to be mild and work well with accutane. well, i hate it. and my mom had a bad history with using birth control so i'm pretty worried. i just don't want to be on any form of birth control at all.

If you are not sexually active, why not just ditch the birth control and lie? To hell with ipledge.

That's what i was going to say- just don't take it. But if you *do* get pregnant, go to a different Dr.

Im on yasmin BC and accutane and at first i didnt notice a weight gain but now i feel bloated all the time it seems like i am gaining weight too. I am going to remain on it though because its going to be my after accutane maintaince medication.

If your not gonna get pregnant... dont take it, your doctor wont know :shhh:

i hate being on birth control and being on accutane too. the side effects (in my experience) are doubled. i have put on weight so easily and it is so hard to lose the weight. my boobs are twice the size they normally are (this is the honest truth), but that's probably the only nice effect. i know accutane comes along with some side effects all on its own, but with birth control, it's unbearable. i just want to stop taking it. my doctor doesn't seem to believe that i'm not sexually active (and how could i possibly prove that to him?) so there's no convincing him otherwise. i've even been experiencing sever e leg pain and numbness in my right leg which could possibly mean blood clotting due to the birth control.

it makes me so different. it makes feel like i'm just not myself anymore.

i am considering to just stop taking it on my own. if i'm not having sex, and i know that i'm not, what other reason should i stay on birth control while being on accutane?

i hate being a girl.

and i'm sorry i had to vent to you poor people.

:cry:

Shit's probably going to hit the fan for me saying this but, if you are truly not having sex at all, and will not be having sex at all, quit taking it and just let him think you're taking it. From what I understand, they're saying you don't actually have to take birth control pills but you have to sign a waiver saying you will use effective birth control methods or simply that you pledge not to become pregnant. If you are not sexually active at all, you are abstaining, with no exceptions, then it is sort of a non-issue for you since you can't get pregnant with no sex. Keeping in mind that there are very rare cases of girls getting pregnant from heavy petting/dry humping (I'll let you figure it out, LOL), so none of that either.

I know that I took BC pills for years when I was younger but, after having children, I could never quite tolerate it the same anymore. One of the kinds I took in my early twenties actually caused an allergic reaction in my early 30s. Others increase my migraines frequency and severity. There are a myriad of other side effects other women experience too. But if you are currenly nun-like and remain so throughout your accutane treatment, there is no need for the pill.

U need another type of pill. The pills your mom were on are not even around today. (Unless she's still taking them) There are virtually hundreds of types of bcp's available. What may be the miracle pill for one is not for another vice versa. Did u start taking the pill and accutane around the same time? If u have than it's not going to be pleasant. It's usually best to take the pill several months before so your body can get used to the changes.

I was on mircette about 4 years ago and loved it. It gave me so much pep and I had no weight gain whatsoever. I just started Diane-35 a month before the accutane and I'm feeling bloated etc. etc. No weight gain but as I said, it takes time for stuff like this to kick in.

Im on yasmin BC and accutane and at first i didnt notice a weight gain but now i feel bloated all the time it seems like i am gaining weight too. I am going to remain on it though because its going to be my after accutane maintaince medication.

Can't remember where I read it, I think the Fed guideline booklet thingy but, they do not recommend progesterone only based BC meds while on accutane, like Yasmin and Depo provera. So if Yasmin is causing you problems and you are not sexually active, quit taking it or try something else like Ortho tri-cyclen.

I'll try to see where I read that about the bc pills.....

Tell your doctor about all of the medicines you take including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins and herbal supplements. Accutane and certain other medicines can interact with each other, sometimes causing serious side effects. Especially tell your doctor if you take:

• Vitamin A supplements. Vitamin A in high doses has many of the same side effects as Accutane. Taking both together may increase your chance of getting side effects.

• Tetracycline antibiotics. Tetracycline antibiotics taken with Accutane can increase the chances of getting increased pressure in the brain.

• Progestin-only birth control pills (mini-pills). They may not work while you take Accutane. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure what type you are using.

• Dilantin (phenytoin). This medicine taken with Accutane may weaken your bones.

• Corticosteroid medicines. These medicines taken with Accutane may weaken your bones.

• St. John’s Wort. This herbal supplement may make birth control pills work less effectively.

These medicines should not be used with Accutane unless your doctor tells you it is okay.

http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/accu...cationguide.htm

If you're not sexually active then i would deff stop taking them.

I'm on dianette at the moment and feel really down, have sore (but rather larger) boobs, im bloated and cant stop eating, oh and I feel 'numb' and not myself - im going to see my derm on saturday and IF she decides that accutane is the only thing left for me then I will deff stop taking them (but i wont tell her)

I was on dianette too and so saw no point in taking it so after a month I stopped taking it and jus told the derm that I still was. There is no way he is gonna know jus make sure u don't get pregnant.

good for u being not sexually active...to many teenage girls these days are having sex when they are like 13 lol :clap:

Guest tired of this shish

Aaargh, I forgot that BC's have a chance for forming blood clots!!! That was my biggest fear! BIGGER THAN ANY SIDEFFECT THAT TANE COULD EVER GIVE ME! A blood clot could kill you instantly!!!

I'm freaking because I was considering BC's after my antibio. I think my acne is beginning to become resistant to my Doryx. Girl, if you have any suspicion whatsoever of a forming clot--GET OFF THE MED IMMEDIATELY and see a doc.

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

Can't remember where I read it, I think the Fed guideline booklet thingy but, they do not recommend progesterone only based BC meds while on accutane, like Yasmin and Depo provera. So if Yasmin is causing you problems and you are not sexually active, quit taking it or try something else like Ortho tri-cyclen.

I'll try to see where I read that about the bc pills.....

Tell your doctor about all of the medicines you take including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins and herbal supplements. Accutane and certain other medicines can interact with each other, sometimes causing serious side effects. Especially tell your doctor if you take:

• Vitamin A supplements. Vitamin A in high doses has many of the same side effects as Accutane. Taking both together may increase your chance of getting side effects.

• Tetracycline antibiotics. Tetracycline antibiotics taken with Accutane can increase the chances of getting increased pressure in the brain.

• Progestin-only birth control pills (mini-pills). They may not work while you take Accutane. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure what type you are using.

• Dilantin (phenytoin). This medicine taken with Accutane may weaken your bones.

• Corticosteroid medicines. These medicines taken with Accutane may weaken your bones.

• St. John’s Wort. This herbal supplement may make birth control pills work less effectively.

These medicines should not be used with Accutane unless your doctor tells you it is okay.

http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/accu...cationguide.htm

Yasmin isn't a progestin-only birth control.

List of progestin only birth control methods

link

List of Combination hormonal birth control methods

link

Birth control has a slew of unhealthy side effects. Risks of blood clots, breast cancer, cervical cancer, lowered sex drive, can inflame a standing case of osterperosis.......the list goes on and on and on.

I, personally, think it's a backwards moral thing that the basterds who fund birth control being made. They don't like the idea of a woman having sex without the risk of getting pregnant, so they punish those who take it with a gazillion side effects.

I agree with the other posters, if you are certain you won't be having sex, don't BC.

But be sure to carry a condem in your purse. Just in case. :)

Birth control has a slew of unhealthy side effects. Risks of blood clots, breast cancer, cervical cancer, lowered sex drive, can inflame a standing case of osterperosis.......the list goes on and on and on.

I, personally, think it's a backwards moral thing that the basterds who fund birth control being made. They don't like the idea of a woman having sex without the risk of getting pregnant, so they punish those who take it with a gazillion side effects.

I agree with the other posters, if you are certain you won't be having sex, don't BC.

But be sure to carry a condem in your purse. Just in case. :)

yeah but surely the emotional and physical risks associated with having to have an abortion if you get pregnant on accutane are far worse. And the risks of the pill are far less for instance this blood clot thing. If you take the pill yes you do have an increased risk of blood clots but you risk is still far less than someone who smokes. And its protective against ovarian cancer.

I agree with OliveRoses: you need to try a new brand of birth control.

DO NOT follow the advice of people on this board about not using birth control while on iPledge. Abstinence is not a 100% accurate method of birth control. Something terrible, like rape, could happen, and you would be screwed (no pun intended).

I am currently on Yasmin and am very pleased with it. It actually is a diuretic, which means it prevents excess weight gain. I've lost weight on Yasmin, I feel happier (since my hormone levels are consistent), my oil production has reduced drastically, and I feel more like myself. On Ortho Tri-Cyclen, I felt like a crazy person, and my breakouts were worsened.

If the birth control you're currently on isn't working for you, don't be afraid to switch. And don't waste any more time on it. The right birth control may be out there for you, it's just a matter of finding it. Talk to your doctor.

I agree with OliveRoses:you need to try a new brand of birth control.

DO NOT follow the advice of people on this board about not using birth control while on iPledge. Abstinence is not a 100% accurate method of birth control. Something terrible, like rape, could happen, and you would be screwed (no pun intended).

I am currently on Yasmin and am very pleased with it. It actually is a diuretic, which means it prevents excess weight gain. I've lost weight on Yasmin, I feel happier (since my hormone levels are consistent), my oil production has reduced drastically, and I feel more like myself. On Ortho Tri-Cyclen, I felt like a crazy person, and my breakouts were worsened.

If the birth control you're currently on isn't working for you, don't be afraid to switch. And don't waste any more time on it. The right birth control may be out there for you, it's just a matter of finding it. Talk to your doctor.

diuretics don't prevent excess weight gain they just increase your water loss so you loose water weight when you stop taking it you will put the water weight back on. And the fact is even if something terrible like rape happened you would still be given the emergency contraceptive pill

That sounds promising. I used to be on Ortho and it worked for me in the beginning, but then I began to go crazy and I started to get bad skin again. As soon as I quit my skin just went absolutely nuts. I also gained weight on Ortho. I'm due for an appointment so I am going to mention Yasmin.

I'm on Yasmin. I feel bloated and like I'm gaining weight, so I bought a scale. Come to find out, I am the same weight I've been for years. Yasmin is supposed to not make you gain much weight, if at all...I just think I may be bloated but not gaining any actual weight.

Stop panicking, drama queen.

Should something like that happen, you can still use the emergency contraceptive pill.

FYI: The pill is not 100% safe either.