Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cool as kim deal

really dry eyelids - any product suggestions?

Ever since I moved to Minnesota, my eyelids have been horribly dry. They get very flaky and red, and I've only had some success in using moisturizer to combat this. Eye creams are all very expensive and tend to have a lot of ingredients in them that I don't really need to prevent wrinkles. As such, I've been reluctant to buy one and instead have just been using Lubriderm Nature's Moisture lotion, which hasn't irritated my eyes but isn't moisturizing them as much as I need. Now that I'm running out of that, I'd like to look into a more serious eye cream or lotion. Also, I know this isn't related to using BP because I started having this problem before I tried Proactiv or Dan's gel, so I don't intend on changing any of my other products--my problem is completely the fault of Minnesota. Anyone have any product recommendations or other things I can do to alleviate this problem? It's to the point where I can't wear eyemakeup because it chunks up on my skin and emphasizes redness in parts where applying eyeshadow would look skanky.

Guest Sincerely_Me

My left eyelid is so horribly dry, I hate it. However, with a lot of Cetaphil Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15, you can't really notice it. I heard Eucerin has great moisturizers, but to me they've always seemed a little bit too oily, but they're thick, so it would probably work really well for you and for me too for that matter. I'll do a little bit of browsing around to see if I can find any actual names. I feel you here, I'm in the same boat.

What's the Clinique All About Eyes product like? I'm thinking I'll probably need something seriously creamy to make my eyelids look and feel normal. Is it a tub of cream, a tube of lotion, tinted or unpigmented, SPF or no (I think SPF ingredients and my eyes don't get along), any special ingredients in it that drive up the price?

Emu oil, eh? I've heard about it but have never tried it before. Would it be the kind of thing that would make my eyes sting if it accidentally got in them? I hadn't thought about trying natural oils, but that might just be the thing to fix this.

What's the Clinique All About Eyes product like? I'm thinking I'll probably need something seriously creamy to make my eyelids look and feel normal. Is it a tub of cream, a tube of lotion, tinted or unpigmented, SPF or no (I think SPF ingredients and my eyes don't get along), any special ingredients in it that drive up the price?

It's a moderate-weight cream formula. It has a pink color in the tub, but doesn't seem to lend any color to the skin. How much moisture it provides depends on how heavy you apply it. I used it during my Accutane course when my lids were so dry it was painful to blink and it took care of that immediately. I'm still using it now but i put on about half as much. It has no sunscreen (products with chemical SPF burn me), no fragrance, no anti-aging ingredients that could irritate, and is designed for sensitive skin. I don't have an exact ingredient list for you since i don't save the boxes, but i like it a lot. I think the smallest size was about $18 (about as much as you'd pay for Olay Regnerist - and their eye cream is pretty decent as well). It lasts for quite a while since you only use a tiny bit.

I personally wouldn't reccomend putting clinique's "all about eyes" on your eyelids.. I have this eyecream which is intended for use under the eye area and it tends to sting my skin.. I can only imagine what this would feel like on my eyelids... I actually have a touch of eczema on my eyelids right now and my doctor says to put cortisone on at night time for a few nights and see if this helps with the itchiness and dryness. My doctor also reccomended literally washing my eyelids with baby shampoo (Johnson and Johnson) with a q-tip and warm water on a daily basis.

Good luck...

I put it on my eyelids all the time with no issues.

That's great.. I'm glad you have found something that works for you! I guess I just wanted to share my experience.. I have skin which leads to the more sensitive end of the spectrum.. I just feel there are better products out there that could help moisturize such a delicate area such as our eyelids. All about eyes is actually for under the eye area to help brighten dark circles and moisturize under the eye. I really liked all about eyes the first couple weeks using it.. then is started to sting.. I guess I'm just too sensitive for it..

So far what my doc has reccomended seems to be really helping... I also moisturize at night with a rich vitamin E cream..

Good luck to everyone

That's weird, my skin is very sensitive and it doesn't bother me at all. On their website they do specifically list it as being designed both for the under eye area and the lids.

That's weird, my skin is very sensitive and it doesn't bother me at all. On their website they do specifically list it as being designed both for the under eye area and the lids.

I guess everyone will react to each product differently, I have very sensitive skin. I did not know it was reccomended for eyelids... I was specifically going by what it said on the box, the jar and what the lady at my Clinique counter told me.

Cheers

I appreciate all the information and discussion happening here. I'm definitely open to a lot of solutions to this problem. Fireflygurl, what are the specific products you are applying to your eyelids now (aside from the baby shampoo wash :))?

I appreciate all the information and discussion happening here. I'm definitely open to a lot of solutions to this problem. Fireflygurl, what are the specific products you are applying to your eyelids now (aside from the baby shampoo wash :))?

When I have a touch of eczema on my eyelids I use hydrocortisone cream which was prescribed by my doctor.. It really helps with the dryness and itchiness. However, right now as in today I have recently been using a rich vitamin E cream at night before I go to bed.. and then just my usual face moisturizer (cetaphil for sensitive skin) lotin during the day with my regular routine. I really like the baby shampoo wash.. it helps soften the skin up and just provides an overall soothing feeling!

I also just wanted to say... that I was at the point where I couldn't wear eyeshadow etc myself because It would also chunk up and look silly because of how dry my lids were but then my doctor diagnosed it as eczema.. it isn't anything serious just a mild condition that I seem to have because of my sensitive skin. Is it possible that you could maybe have developed this because of the weather change and other factors? I guess I'm suggesting that maybe it is more than just dry eyelids and knowing if it wasn't for sure would help you ensure you are treating it the correct way.