Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AmberLynn

Question for you Accutane Guru's

:think: Hey guys, I have been doing a lot of thinking and I do not know what to do.

I have been on accutane for 4 months and one week exactly.

Month 1- 40 mg

Month 2-Month 4 and one week- 80mg (I weigh 110 lbs and had mild acne)

I have not had a proper pimple for about 4 weeks now, but my skin looks like crap, still, because of the delayed healing rates. I burnt my forhead with my flat iron and have had a nasty scab there for 2+ weeks and its no were close to gone. Also, I keep scratching my face at night which also leaves nasty scabs.

I feel as though I would have beautiful skin if I were to be done with accutane as it would heal BUT I am due to have 60 more days of 80mg and that is such a long time! What would you guys do if you were me? Take the whole 6 month course? If not, when would you stop? Thanks in advance for replying! :D

i think u should stick with it...i mean if u look at the big picure its 2 more months for hopefully clear skin forever. You dont want to stop before the acne is in complete remission. What if u stop now and then it comes back real soon? At least take 1 more month cause im on a 5 month course so i guess that wouldnt be too short for u but i dont think u should stop after 4 thats just me though.

80mg sounds like alot for someone who is 110lbs and only has mild acne. Perhaps you could drop the prescription back a bit? Not sure it will help but it is someone to think about ...

Stick with it! It's best to get it all over at once and hopefully never have to worry about acne again than to quit prematurely and have to take a second cycle in another year.

Good luck!

I weigh 135 and took 60mg/day for 6 months (severe) i dont know what others think but 80mg/day for you is too much, cut it down and go for 6 months instead of 5 with 80mg

definitely stick with it....think of the long run...wat if the acne comes back? its just two months anywayz and then its smooth sailing...ud rather complete ur whole course than goin on a second dose of tane...

take care

good luck

p.s sorry for all the negative words.. :angel:

I would ask the doctor to lower the dose. That does seem awfully high, especially if you only had mild acne. I definitely wouldn't stop though as pp have said, u do not want to go on another course of accutane down the road if this first round will clear it up permenantely.

Also, I've burned myself too with curling irons in the past and it can take over a month to heal depending on how badly u burned yourself.

Also, I think once your doc lowers the dose, the itchies will go away too.

Take the whole course. Sixty days is not very long at all, especially when you compare it with a lifetime of acne. Think about how hard you'll want to kick yourself if you come off it early and then need retreatment.

well im 170 pounds i know thats a big differnece but im on 80 mg and i just started my 3rd month a few days ago. I think im gonna be at 120 by the end of the course cause i started at 40..i think u catch the pattern.

yeah i'd stick with it =) it's how much cumulative dosage you take that matters from what someone said

that really effects if it will come back or not

Thanks for all the responses guys. I do agree with you. I never want accutane again, so I will finish. I am speaking to the derm tomorrow to see if I can just take 40mg for two months or take one more month of 80mg. I am just so fed up with the healing rate thing! You guys are so kind to all answer my question and give me support. I had figured I hit the mark for how much I needed in mg wise, but I guess not. Thanks again.

Anymore comments?

:think: Hey guys, I have been doing a lot of thinking and I do not know what to do.

I have been on accutane for 4 months and one week exactly.

Month 1- 40 mg

Month 2-Month 4 and one week- 80mg (I weigh 110 lbs and had mild acne)

I have not had a proper pimple for about 4 weeks now, but my skin looks like crap, still, because of the delayed healing rates. I burnt my forhead with my flat iron and have had a nasty scab there for 2+ weeks and its no were close to gone. Also, I keep scratching my face at night which also leaves nasty scabs.

I feel as though I would have beautiful skin if I were to be done with accutane as it would heal BUT I am due to have 60 more days of 80mg and that is such a long time! What would you guys do if you were me? Take the whole 6 month course? If not, when would you stop? Thanks in advance for replying! :D

You can also use neosporin or polysporin(doesn't have neomycin in it) on the scabs at night before you go to bed to help promote healing if you'd like. Just my 0.02 cents ;)

I use neo and it doesnt seem to help ALL that much. Who knows. I will just grit my teeth and bare the nonsense for the next 2 months, i suppose.

neosporin works pretty good for me, whenever i popped a pimple, just apply that on and the next morning it look a lot better than when i didn't use anything, it take care of red marks too !!!!

That's sounds like crazy dosage for your acne and weight.

You are gonna take 5x30x80mg and 30x40mg = 13 200 mg (?)

Thanks for all the responses guys. I do agree with you. I never want accutane again, so I will finish. I am speaking to the derm tomorrow to see if I can just take 40mg for two months or take one more month of 80mg. I am just so fed up with the healing rate thing! You guys are so kind to all answer my question and give me support. I had figured I hit the mark for how much I needed in mg wise, but I guess not. Thanks again.

Anymore comments?

Hey amber,

In my opinion you should ask your derm about decreasing your dosage down to 40 or 60mg. I mean you're clear for over 4 weeks now. So it should be no problem to go down to 40mg for 2 month instead 80mg for one month. I believe determining is the aggregate dose and not the daily dose. But its a tricky decision! But I would decrease it! That's what I think about it.

cj

Hey! DEF stick with it, but DO lower the dose to make it more tolerable for you. I weigh 105 and my derm plans on having me take 40mg for 5 months. Although I am going to ask him if I can increase to 60mg the last 2 months just to make sure i knock this crud out for good this time.. hell probably say no too haha but its worth a shot! Anyways good luck and im glad to hear about the no pimples in a month thing!! :cool:

YAY!! Just got back from the derm and guess what.. ONLY 30 MORE DAYS FOR ME!! She wants me to do 30 days of 80mg or decrease my dosage to 60 mg and go for 45 more days. She gave me some steriod cream to knock out my final scabs and Taz to start after accutane stops. :D

YAY!! Just got back from the derm and guess what.. ONLY 30 MORE DAYS FOR ME!! She wants me to do 30 days of 80mg or decrease my dosage to 60 mg and go for 45 more days. She gave me some steriod cream to knock out my final scabs and Taz to start after accutane stops. :D

great!

hope it knocks it out finally after that :box:

Stick with it. You can stop now, but if it comes back, you possibly face another cycle of four months. Then you will kick yourself in the butt, wishing you had stuck it out another 60 days instead of four months.

Good luck!

I'd definitely stick it out and keep going but look into the lower dose. I feel like such a wimp on 60mg at 190lbs lol.

Anyway, I'm puzzled over the neosporin thing. Some people say it helps but I can't quite understand why. From what I understand its basically a topical antibiotic to kill any potential infection. But I can't see how it helps with a healing pimple turned into a scab ... what infection is it fighting? Anyway, my theory is that perhaps it only seems to help cause you are keeping it moist with the neosporin? In this case, maybe vaseline would do a better job?

I'm at 4.5 months on accutane and I still break out.. especially in areas I never broke out in before... for whatever reason...

[my body is fun] [i h8 u god]

hey amberlynn, im not sure if you remember me from way back but anyway.

definitely drop the course. or at least, decrease the dose. I only took two months and was fed up with it and stopped, no acne since, faster healing rates as well. I've been off of tane for two months now, I would be at 4 months like you had i not stopped.

Its interesting because the side effects STILL CONTINUE even after two months. Im not sure if this is quite normal but alot of the effects came after i stopped taking tane. For example, I didnt suffer any excessive dryness in the T-zone while I was on tane, but suffered with extreme dryness after I dropped the course for a month and a half (although thats gone away with now) and then for some reason my hair is falling out at an alarming rate now, and for a guy its quite dangerous because we dont have much hair to begin with anyway so you can tell the difference alot easily. (although i m nowhere near close to bald still, i can feel the top of my hair has less hair than it used to significantly)

Many say in the long run its worth it, but is it really? acne is something that dissapears anyway for the most of us, and although im sure you would feel "yeah you are clear now so you could say that" but I feel strongly as ever to not recommend these pills to anybody now that I see what life was like once again without accutane. (you'd realize how sensitive you are right now versus your old self and how more you are "on the edge" compared to the past once you drop this course.

Either way, good luck. At least decrease the dose.