Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
unbelievable

Proof that western societies is TOO VAIN.

Obviously people are misunderstanding this topic, the end question to this is...

WHY IS VANITY SUCH A BIG ISSUE?

other than the obvious fact that you want to look good. why do you want to look good? why arent you able to feel good without looking good?

(my answer is Western ideology, Edward Bernay, using psychoanalysis to influence public opinion to promote product sales, and by promoting vanity, they are able to promote profit. a perfect capitalist western society) this isnt bashing western culture, its all fact.

Look up "Edward Bernay" and watch the documentary "The Century of the Self" if you want to understand the originality of vanity, which is a conditioned response.

i had to bold and underline the passage so people can read and understand.

i was watching this commercial, thats trying to disuade adolescents from doing steroids. Now we all know steroid use can cause life threatening problems, in some and maybe not in others.

"..[steroids] they are dangerous drugs, and when used inappropriately, they can cause a host of severe, long-lasting, and often irreversible negative health consequences. These drugs can stunt the height of growing adolescents, masculinize women, and alter sex characteristics of men. Anabolic steroids can lead to premature heart attacks, strokes, liver tumors, kidney failure and serious psychiatric problems. In addition, because steroids are often injected, users risk contracting or transmitting HIV or hepatitis.."

now back to the commercial for teen to no use steroids. the first HORRIFIC side effect:

1. Acne

2. Baldness

and basically the screen flashed just quick enough for you to catch the first two horrific side effects. not to say acne and baldnes is not a problem. just that to put the priority with acne and baldness, OVER life threatening side effects. shows how vain this country is and always be.

Usually people in their teenage years think they are invincible, and health threats will usually fall on death ears until they get a little more life experience and see a bit more.

However, their appearance affects them every day of their life, and anything that adversely affects this will have a much stronger impact on them than any threat of long-term health effects. Besides, why would you take steroids if you weren't concerned about your physical appearance in the first place. It only makes sense to put emphasis on the physical effects over the health effects when you consider the target audience.

exactly what do you mean by 'physcial effects' and 'health effects' and how are they different?

exactly what do you mean by 'physcial effects' and 'health effects' and how are they different?

I just mean, it makes sense that they place the emphasis on things that would alter their physical appearance over things that will alter their health but not their physical appearance.

Steroids can take decades to kill you, and users are pretty much willing to deal with consequences they can put off for that many years. Acne and baldness, however, can occur much more imminently. It does away with the whole "well, I may die younger, but I'm going to make the most of the time I'm alive."

It speaks to the priorities of people that ugliness is a more serious consequence than premature death, but young people don't really seem to care much about what happens to them after they turn 50, and there is probably a pretty good evolutionary reason for this, in that the human was never meant to live much longer than that. We're only designed to live long enough to reproduce and take care of the kid until he can make it on his own and reproduce himself. So it's only when you actually get old and death starts to stare you in the face that it really matters to you.

Heck, think of why people exercise or eat well. It isn't to extend their life, but to improve the quality of it. If we could eat nothing but sweets and junk and sit around all day fucking and watching television and get an endorphin rush from these things without suffering from obesity, acne, muscle and joint pain, and ruined finances, but we would have to die ten years earlier, how many people would bother to watch what they eat, exercise regularly, or even work?

Hell, why are we all here at this message board? It isn't to extend our lives. Acne is no threat to our longevity, yet we still want to rid ourselves of it, no?

yeah, I agree with Femina. I have always thought that the best arguments to stop teens from smoking, for example, were the ones that appealed to their vanity. Dying of lung cancer at 50 is a distant threat to a 16-yo, but having stained teeth and bad breath ... now, that hits home ...

talk about exaggerating...

And why is this supposed to point only at western societies?

this applies to western society because its obvious they are dominating the world. From developing countries in Asia to other third world countries. for instance Shanghai ten years ago did not have commercial for acne or anything of the sort. in 2006 i went back and acne commercials are flooding the airwaves, making acne a horrific disaster. Why? western society have been influencing Shanghai for years now and its a gold mine, especially acne, the treatment of acne is a goldmine.

psychologically vanity is part of everyones subconscience, i dont know if anyone heard of Edward Barney. Whom in the 1920's invented public relations, and making consumers purchase products they dont need, but subconsciencely want, therefore will buy, same for selling vanity products it's not a neccessity in survival but its something you want it fullfill your urges. buying waste or products to fullfill urges is the core of capitalist (western) society.

if benzoyl peroxide dont work, tretinoid, if that dont work accutane, antibiotics, doctor visits, more over the counter products, surgery, lasers, incisions, excisions, the list can go on and on and on. acne is a great industry to make huge amoutns of profit. and by emphasizing vanity it will forever be profitable. Western society is the leading capitalist society thats why i said what i said in the title.

I guess just for teenagers atleast these side factors are more likely to discourage them from using drugs, as there probably less likely to look at the serious health and lon-term affects them more educated and mature people :)

yeah, I agree with Femina. I have always thought that the best arguments to stop teens from smoking, for example, were the ones that appealed to their vanity. Dying of lung cancer at 50 is a distant threat to a 16-yo, but having stained teeth and bad breath ... now, that hits home ...

i totally agree, good point. when i was young, i remember learning about things, such as smoking and anorexia/bulemia...things that could really effect my life and ultimately kill me. Even though i heard that these two things, for example, could result in death, i remember being more consumed with the thought of having yellow nails, breath...or having my teeth stained brown or having increased hair growth all over my body. weird, isnt it? although steroids can kill you, i can see younger kids and teens being more inclined to stay away from them if they think they can get severe acne or become prematurely bald.

Or maybe it has to do with the fact that theyre targeting teenages and young adults, who are always primarily concerned with their appearance (or they wouldnt be taking steroids duh)

But thats real classy to blame the evil western culture, yaaaaaa... Smary insight, I wouldnt have picked up on it.

It is the best way to appeal to young adults - vanity. But it's also kind of funny on the other side of it (being a bit older - or being alot older) and noting that when you were younger, bad breath detered you more than the threat of imminent death.

coughdrop let me ask you this...

which world powers places heavy emphasis on vanity? im sure its not the third world countries. or the communist regimes. so carefully think to yourself, without western capitalist influence, would vanity really exist?

i know the commercial's targeting teenagers, a monkey can figure that out. what im saying is that ...

WHY IS VANITY SUCH A BIG ISSUE?

Ask yourself this? Did vanity exist prior to colonialism?

Shit, I was watching this special on TV the other day about African tribeswomen that cut their lip out into a ring that hangs off their mouth when young to make themselves more attractive to men. Another tribe places hoops around their necks to stretch them out as they grow, to the point where their neck muscles no longer function in adulthood and if they removed the hoops, their heads would collapse. In another tribe, the more affluent women eat everything in sight, becoming horrible obese, because it's considered attractive in their culture. East Asians have been wrapping girl's feet in tight bonds for thousands of years to keep them from growing so as to appeal more to the opposite sex.

Get off your soapbox. Vanity is neither a western nor a capitalist idea.

Um, non-western societies care about appearance too. They might care about different aspects of appearance than western societies, but it's not as if vanity is a European creation. Look at things like henna tattoos, earlobe stretching, Vietnamese tooth-blackening with with betel chew.

that was a good one coughdrop, you new yorkers are a slick bunch :liar: if i did vote for bush and what?

*MOD EDIT* DO NOT CALL PEOPLE NAMES!

and i never said vanity do not exist, i even said vanity is in our unconscience, do you know what that means?

western society use vanity for profit. do those african tribes women use vanity to profit from the masses? you idiot. capitalism takes vanity and goes to town with it.

foot binding in asia was sign of beauty, but was it marketed on a mass scale for the sake of profit?

do you even know what capitalism is? it's all about the profiteers making a profit. im speaking about using vanity as a publicity stunt in search of profit, and dont expect to learn that on the discovery channel you watch for your 4th grade education. lol

*MOD EDITED*

Come on, dude. Most of your posts are on how you're needling yourself and hoping for isolagen to be approved as your "last hope" and you're calling me out on having scars?

Tell me what you think the people whoring out foot-bound geishas are receiving if not profit? The African tribeswomen that make themselves obese do so because they have high social status and want to emphasize the fact that they have access to a great food supply, while others in their population half-starve. Are you really so unsophisticated to think that all economics is monetary in nature? Marriage itself - what these women in cultures are trying to win by their various forms of vanity - is an economic transaction. Everyone profits in their own way. At least capitalism provides some employment along the way and the opportunity for class mobility that does not exist in many stratified societies.

And what the hell is an "unconscience?" Is that a word for your lack of a conscience? Is that what gives you the ability to come here looking for a solution to your acne scars, only to berate others for having the same problem?

I honestly thought for half a second that you were seriously interested in a real discussion. As it stands, you may have just gotten yourself banned as soon as the next mod signs on. When you get to hell, tell 'em Adam sent you.

that was a good one coughdrop, you new yorkers are a slick bunch :liar: if i did vote for bush and what?

*MOD EDIT* DO NOT CALL PEOPLE NAMES!

and i never said vanity do not exist, i even said vanity is in our unconscience, do you know what that means?

western society use vanity for profit. do those african tribes women use vanity to profit from the masses? you idiot. capitalism takes vanity and goes to town with it.

foot binding in asia was sign of beauty, but was it marketed on a mass scale for the sake of profit?

do you even know what capitalism is? it's all about the profiteers making a profit. im speaking about using vanity as a publicity stunt in search of profit, and dont expect to learn that on the discovery channel you watch for your 4th grade education. lol

*MOD EDITED*

wowwwwwwwwwww, you come to an acne support forum to make fun of people's scars?

Do you go to a hospital and make fun of amputee's?

Do you go to special schools and make fun of down syndrome people?

Do you go to the burn ward and make fun of fire victims?

Sounds like a fetish to me.... I bet this makes you horny, ay big fella :wub:

Once your finished jerking the turkey be sure to pull that 6 foot poll outa your ass and lighten up a bit, mkay sugar pie?

P.S: Make sure you check your closet everynight before you go to bed, just incase capitalism is in there :ninja: