Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Heather - I've had plenty of people who know their stuff advise that a topical retinoid for post-Tane maintenance is the way to go. It's hard to know what my skin would be like without it, but I have to say that I'm happy with the way things are so I won't make any changes. The Retin-A Micro does cause some redness and peeling on my chin, so I have to be careful about how much I apply there. On my cheeks I can get slight redness, so I'll skip an application there once in a while.

Week #22

I'm a day late on my weekly update, but I'm sure none of you lost any sleep over it! It's been very crazy around here, so it's hard to find time to visit acne.org lately.

It was another good skin week. I found a small whitehead below my lip on Wednesday and it is now fading away. The pimples I've had post-Tane (maybe one every three weeks or so) have been very small, on the surface, and they disappear quickly. I have no complaints about that!

It has been COLD here in MN! We've had snow, wind, temps in the 20s and generally winter-like conditions for a few days. I like winter, but I prefer it to come in late November instead of early October!

Have a great week everyone!

P&W

I'm a day late on my weekly update, but I'm sure none of you lost any sleep over it!

I did!

now I can rest. :razz:

glad you are doing well.

I'm not envious of your snow though, but I know you love it so much!

I just covered my pool a week ago. It is starting to cool off here, but no snow for awhile yet I bet.

P&W,

I've got 3 weeks left in completing my 6th month course of tane. I asked my derm the other day about maintenance and he said no, not unless you see some acne coming back. He said the whole point of going through this harsh treatment is so you don't have to use that stuff afterwards. I also asked him about the cumalative dosages and he said that's not always the rule. A lot of times he says he likes to see a patient clear for several months and then he will stop the tane. I don't know what to think. My derm is actually one of the docs that helped bring Accutane to the market 20+ years ago......Scott Glazer.

Sounds like you are a proponent of maintenance afterwards? What type of acne did you have and how severe would you classify it? That probably has a lot to do with whether you need "maintenance" after or not.

Thanks,

Greg

Brandy - the snow is gone and now we are dealing with rain and fog. There aren't many outdoor pools around here. There are many more ice skating rinks!

Greg - I'm no expert, but I've had a number of the more experienced members of acne.org insist that post-Tane maintenance is important using a topical retinoid. I haven't seen any research on the subject, but it would be interesting to see if it's been studied. My acne was not severe in terms of the number of cysts, but the magnitude was unbearable. I'd get cysts that would swell up like a golf ball. I had occassional pimples that were bearable, but the large cysts, particularly on the nose and front of my face, were just too embarassing for me to ignore.

In the past few days, I've had a few small red spots on my face that don't turn into much of anything, but they just fade away in a few days. It seems like the acne monster is trying to revive itself, but can't quite do anything very significant. I hope it stays that way! It was 10 months ago tomorrow that I started Accutane!

P&W

Brandy - the snow is gone and now we are dealing with rain and fog. There aren't many outdoor pools around here. There are many more ice skating rinks!

Greg - I'm no expert, but I've had a number of the more experienced members of acne.org insist that post-Tane maintenance is important using a topical retinoid. I haven't seen any research on the subject, but it would be interesting to see if it's been studied. My acne was not severe in terms of the number of cysts, but the magnitude was unbearable. I'd get cysts that would swell up like a golf ball. I had occassional pimples that were bearable, but the large cysts, particularly on the nose and front of my face, were just too embarassing for me to ignore.

In the past few days, I've had a few small red spots on my face that don't turn into much of anything, but they just fade away in a few days. It seems like the acne monster is trying to revive itself, but can't quite do anything very significant. I hope it stays that way! It was 10 months ago tomorrow that I started Accutane!

P&W

good luck im 8 months post and im using tazorac as a retinoid since i broke out recently

hope it lasts

Well it looks like I'm back on here again as I'm seeking some solace. My skin is heading back down hill fast and I'm so depressed about it it's not true. I've got a follow up derm appointment beginning of November and if things carry on the way they are, I think I'm going to ask for a second course.

The thing is, during and after my course I got used to not having my skin control my life and I loved the way I could make plans to do things in advance as I had confidence that my skin would be clear but that confidence is disappearing fast. I cancelled my first social thing in months because of my skin and that really got me down.

I hope you are still doing well. I just don't know what's going on with me

Fuman - thanks for visiting. I hope we both stay clear!

shunts - I'm sorry things aren't going too well. I know what you mean about scheduling your life around your skin. I remember not wanting to go anywhere when I was badly broken out. It was encouraging me to hear of others that felt the same way, because it's not the kind of thing you really talk about with other people. My best advice: stay positive that you can beat this thing! See your derm about a second round of Accutane and fight it with all you got. Remember how good it feels to be clear and make that your goal. I'm fully aware that my acne might come back and if it does, I'm going to ask my derm about long term low dose Accutane. There are fewer side effects and from what I read it can be very safe.

Keep me posted, OK?

P&W

Fuman - thanks for visiting. I hope we both stay clear!

shunts - I'm sorry things aren't going too well. I know what you mean about scheduling your life around your skin. I remember not wanting to go anywhere when I was badly broken out. It was encouraging me to hear of others that felt the same way, because it's not the kind of thing you really talk about with other people. My best advice: stay positive that you can beat this thing! See your derm about a second round of Accutane and fight it with all you got. Remember how good it feels to be clear and make that your goal. I'm fully aware that my acne might come back and if it does, I'm going to ask my derm about long term low dose Accutane. There are fewer side effects and from what I read it can be very safe.

Keep me posted, OK?

P&W

Hey guys

just wondering what Retin-A Micro is??! I have been on roaccuinte and may have to go back on it, when i see my derm again next week as my acne has come back!! just trying to consider all the options - any suggestions?!

vix85 - RetinA-Micro (RAM) is a topical Accutane (retinoid) as are Tazorac and Differin. They aren't as powerful as Accutane, but they do help to keep pores open and make your skin exfoliate more rapidly. It seems like a very common thing for derms to recommend RAM for maintenance after a course of Accutane.

I'd recommend RAM post-Tane, but I know others have been successful without it.

P&W

Hey P&W! Wanted to stop and officially say hello. I've been lurking in your log lately. Hope all the "red nasties" stay away. I'm coming up on the end of my course and my derm scripted BenzaClin for my back. We'll see how that goes. Take care.

Week #23

It's been a busy week on my log! Thanks for visiting everyone. Jules, I'm glad you're lurking out there and especially glad that you posted! :cool:

This week has been almost problem free. I had three very small red spots on my face that just faded away without turning into anything. Only one could be felt - a very small bump. I'm not sure what they are, but I'm wondering if the Retin-A might be causing some irritation. In the past two weeks I don't know if I've applied Retin-A to my chin once and it is still peeling and flaky. Not sure how to explain that. :confused:

I'm on a pretty well established routine of twice or thrice a day face washing with Purpose liquid and Retin-A Micro in the evening. I have some oil, especially on my nose, but it's manageable. Nothing compared to the old days.

Yesterday I was out fishing with a friend and a turkey vulture flew around the corner of the point we were on and didn't see us. He must have flown 18 inches over my friends head (we were standing on shore casting). I've never been so close to one. I thought it was going to land on his head! I don't think the bird ever noticed us. Either that or he was expecting one of us to die. :D

Not much more to say right now. Thanks for reading!

P&W

What's this? No visitors to my log in the past week? How can it be? Well, maybe you've been visiting but not posting. I hope so. It's good therapy for me to do this anyway.

Week #24

The past week has been 100% clear! I was concerned in the past two weeks that conditions were going to start to deteriorate because of a few minor red spots, but as usual, I worried for no reason. Actually, I didn't worry all that much, but you know how you sometimes imagine worst case scenarios.

I'm very happy to say that my skin has continued to improve these past 24 weeks. The last cyst I've had on my face was in mid-February, over 8 months ago! What a change from a year ago! If you are struggling with Accutane side effects or have the usual fear of trying the drug because of all the hype, I'd encourage you to listen to your derm and bite the bullet and give it a shot. It took me quite a while to get up the courage to start a course and I was ready to quit at week 2-3 because of my IB, but I'm very glad I stuck it out. My derm told me when I said I was ready to quit: "So then you're right back where we started and there are no other options. So what will you do?" That was the voice of reason. The day I left her office, the IB started to subside and I didn't even use the antibiotic prescription she gave me to deal with the IB.

OK, enough ranting. Thanks for reading and have a great day!

P&W

Hi there!

So glad to hear that everything is going great! I have been doing well also. I haven't had a cyst since about the same time as you. I have the little bit of oil on the nose when I wake up like you, but its nothing like it was before! Have a great day!

Taren

Brandy and trenem, thanks for visiting! Trenem, it's been a lonnnnngggggg time! I'm glad to hear things are going well for you. Please stop by more often!

Week #25

This hasn't been a perfect week, but it's been a good one. I got a small pimple on the side of my nose last week, which has largely faded away. No big deal. I had another that seemed bigger on my jaw that just disappeared without doing much. It felt like a good sized lump that could get serious but then it went away. I've had a few of those post-Tane.

My biggest issue of late is redness from the Retin-A Micro on my chin. I stopped putting RAM on my chin a few weeks ago and the redness still won't go away. It seems to get worse when I shave with a blade, so I've been shaving my chin with an electric razor the past couple of days. I've been applying a cream to the chin (clinique cream for upset skin) and it may help a little, but I still have red spots that just won't go away. :wall: I also have mild peeling and flaking, which was worse when I was applying Retin-A daily, but is still a bit of a problem. Any advice for me, friends?

Otherwise, it's cold up here, we've had snow almost every day, but nothing that sticks around. I'm going to get my skis for the winter next week and start anticipating that first big blizzard! I can't wait! :clap:

Please come again and thanks for stopping by!

P&W

Hey,

it sounds like your skin is still sensitive from the Tane most likely and now the cold weather isn't helping, plus the Retin-A.......

For the dryness and peeling you might look at CeraVe lotion, it's pretty darn good.

Week #26

A quiet week on my log! Week #26 marks the end of my six month post-Tane! This is often the time you read that it's considered OK to have laser treatments, peels, or another course of Accutane.

I don't need any of them, but it's great to reach another milestone. My next will be on Dec 22 or 23 which is the one year anniversary of popping my first pill!

The past week was not perfect. I had a couple of whiteheads, one on my lip and one on my face. They seem to run their course pretty fast and everything I've had is very much on the surface. None of those deep, sore, long lasting nasties that I've had in the pre-Tane days.

I am a bit frustrated with redness on my chin. I found that the Clinique lotion I was using as a moisturizer was irritating my skin and it improved when I started using Cetaphil. However, on some days I still have some redness and peeling even though I stopped using Retin-A on my chin about a month ago. What do you think everyone? Should I try some hydrocortisone lotion? It's not really a rash, just peeling skin and redness.

Thanks for visiting my log!

P&W

Heya P&W! Sounds like things are doing pretty good in a world full of just Wrinkles :lol:

I'm a fellow Post-Tane fellow such as yourself and I have to admit, it feels pretty good to be off. I'm getting the same quick whiteheads just like you, it's harsh to see them, but they do fade very quickly.

I can relate with the redness too. After Tane I noticed I had gained a nice case of Rosacea :( And the worst part about it is I can treat it until 6 months after tane (like your post says). And I'm only 2 months off.

So right now redness is the next battle I gotta fight, and it won't be an easy one either.

Good luck mate! Cheers!

Hi I am so glad to read of your Accutane success!! I am doing just as well. I am 12 weeks post accutane and I am clear!! Your updates during your accutane adventure were always so encouraging to me. I am sure that anyone who reads your post tane log feels the same. I have been under a great deal of stress lately, as you may have read on my short updates in my post tane log. It amazes me that even through all these rough and stressful times, I am still 100% clear. I agree with you, anyone considering a coarse of the drug should just bite that bullet. I too spent a few years wondering if I should take it or not and now I wish I would have taken it the very first time it entered my mind. Accutane gave me dramatic results thus far and has been well worth the side effects that I had while on the drug.

Best of wishes to you P&W!!!

Be well.....

Angela

charchar - thanks for the post! Yes, the redness is no fun, but it's better than cysts. My chin has been improving. I'm finding that I just have to be real careful with it. I think I really irritated the dickens out of my chin by applying Retin-A every day for a long time. It was constantly peeling and I should have taken that as a cue that I needed to back off.

Angel - It's great to hear from you! I'm glad to hear that things are going well for you. I read your log about your son's accident. I hope he is continuing to get better and I hope that guy who hit him gets what he deserves!

P&W

Hello, P&W! Finally made it through your entire Post-Tane log---- SO helpful! Thank you so much for taking the time to do it. You've definitely inspired me; I will do the same when my Tane regime is over. It's really helpful to see what might be coming.

I was on Obagi New Derm system with Retin A before the Accutane, and would love to continue on the same when this is over, but I'm afraid my derm won't like it, or will want to just give me the Retin-A hersefl--- I been getting the Obagi from my Aesthetic Center, where I get my Botox. My derm used to give me Botox at first, and OMG she used to kill me stabbing me with that needle. Then, I found out it was slightly cheaper at the Aesthetic Center at my OB/GYN's office, so tried it there, and they were SO much more gentle about giving me the injection that I never let my derm give it to me again. THEN, I was talking to a woman there at the AC who was using the Obagi system, and decided to try that, and although it didn't do anything for my cysts and really bad acne, the texture of my skin was better and it was really helping with my age spots. (You youngsters just wait! Old age isn't pretty!) If a post-tane regime is really helped by the Retin-A, I'd rather do it in the Obagi system.

Anyway, P&W, thank you, thank you, and how I enjoy reading about your wildlife adventures.

Hi Dad, I'm back again and that can only mean one thing: I'm suffering again and I need some words of encouragement! I had my follow up derm appointment a coule of weeks ago and my skin had cleared up again so he decided to discharge me but gave me the option of an emegency appointment if I needed it. Well, I needed it!

Over the weekend my skin flared up massively and it really looked terrible so I took plenty of pics which I'm going to take with me tomorrow. Typically, my skin has clamed down a lot and I'm sure he's going to think I'm being melodramatic although I've still got a lot of red marks and a couple of actives.

I'm going to ask for a low dose, long course. I was thinking maybe 10mg for a month and then 20mg for however long it takes. What do you think? After my first course do I still need to be aiming for an accumulative dose of 120mg+? Or, will a second low dose be enough to clear me up do you think? Who knows?

I'll see what he has to say tomorrow but I'm praying he's going to put me back on it.

Mrs. N - thanks for the note. Yes, I think Retin-A Micro is a good post-Tane routine, though I'm having some issues with redness and peeling from it. I need to learn to skip an application or two when necessary. I'm glad you're reading my log! It keeps me motivated to know folks are enjoying it.

shunts - hello my son! Sorry to hear about your recent setbacks. Yes, I think a low dose routine might be a good idea, though I'm not derm. I've already told myself that if I get a recurrance of the nasties I'm going to request a low dose routine. From what I've read about it, it is just the thing for us older males who aren't likely to get pregnant! Let me know what the derm says tomorrow!

P&W

Alright dad, just letting you know how it went today. I'll keep it brief as I've started another log so at the risk of repeating myself, my derm wanted to put me straight back on at 60mg and didn't think the low dose / long course was a good idea. He reckons 2 months at 60mg should do the trick but I’m not so sure.

Never being one to follow advice, I’ve decided to start myself on 10mg (20mg every other day) for the first week or two and then slowly increase the dose as I think I need to. I just need to get in back under control so I think slowly and surely does it. I want to avoid the IB if possible! Not really happy at having a second course but better that than having to put up with my skin turning bad again.

Hey shunts - I hope the low dose routine works for you. You may want to look for a derm that will work with you on your dosage. I haven't really heard of a 2 month course - that seems a bit out of the mainstream. I'd personally be more confident with a long term low dose course or a normal 5-6 month course. But remember, I'm no doctor so my free advice is worth what you pay for it!

Week #27

It's been a pretty routine week. Right now I have a pimple under one eyebrow and one in my scalp. If you have to get a couple of zits, that's a great place for them!

I think I've made some major progress on the peeling and redness on my chin! First, I discovered (thanks to Brandy, the world's greatest mod :) ) that the Clinique lotion was irritating my chin, so I stopped it. Then I tried stopping the Purpose liquid soap I've been washing with. I'll still use it on my nose and cheeks, but my dry chin only gets water. That's made a dramatic difference in a couple of days. So, I'm hoping to be on the road to recovery from some pretty annoying peeling and redness on my chin.

Otherwise, life is busy, we have snow on the ground, I'm learning to scuba dive (what fun! indoors, of course) and everything is just great!

Have a good day and thanks for visiting!

P&W