Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ophelia's

How to beat chin acne

Morning

- Cetephil cleanser

-take 100mg of Doxycycline

-Cetephil mosturizer

- Aveda Moisture plus tint- SPF 15, oil-free (helps to prevent peeling during day,

and protect from sun damage.

-Peter Thomas Roth Max Anti-Shine Gel on forehead, instead of foundation.

-I.D. mineral Veil to control shine through out the day.

Night

- Cetephil Cleanser

- Wait 30 min. or more and put on Tazorac Cream .1%

No picking- it causes scars and red marks

No Popping- it spreads bacteria

Only use non-comodogenic , and oil-free producs from trusted companies.

Because of this Regimen my chin is acne free!

I have been using Tazorac .1% Cream for about three months. It is a bumpy road , but worth the wait. Especially, since I have barely had acne in the past then all of a sudden my chin just exploded.

Also i wanted to say that the type of Shampoo and Conditioner you use makes a huge difference. I was using random products from Target, and when I went to get my hair cut the stylist told me I had product buildup in my hair. THis build-up was contributing to my forehead and chin acne. I started using Prive, whcih i got at Red Door, I can already feel the difference.

I've read in quite a few posts/articles that chin/jaw acne is commonly linked to hormones.

I only really get acne on my jaw line/cheeks... and mine was because by hormones.

Just thought i'd say :D

I have been using Tazorac .1% Cream for about three months. It is a bumpy road , but worth the wait. Especially, since I have barely had acne in the past then all of a sudden my chin just exploded.

Also i wanted to say that the type of Shampoo and Conditioner you use makes a huge difference. I was using random products from Target, and when I went to get my hair cut the stylist told me I had product buildup in my hair. THis build-up was contributing to my forehead and chin acne. I started using Prive, whcih i got at Red Door, I can already feel the difference.

How long did the "chin explosion" last? I am in the same situation with using Differin on my chin. No active acne there when I started (I do get pre-menstrual breakouts there sometimes - only 1-2 every couple months though) - but since using the Differin its looking bumpy and breaking out. I'm close to giving up on using it on my chin. Its worked everywhere else really well though.

It seems like you are already starting the initial breakout. If you stop with the medication the acne will continue to form since it has been brought out by the medication.

If you continue with the medication you will experience the same acne but it will dissapear faster because the medication will be treating it continuosly. I suggest that you stay on the medication.

Just think of it like this: every pimple you get would have eventually come out at some point in the future. So would you rather get them all out at once , or sporadically without your control in the future.

It seems like you are already starting the initial breakout. If you stop with the medication the acne will continue to form since it has been brought out by the medication.

If you continue with the medication you will experience the same acne but it will dissapear faster because the medication will be treating it continuosly. I suggest that you stay on the medication.

Just think of it like this: every pimple you get would have eventually come out at some point in the future. So would you rather get them all out at once , or sporadically without your control in the future.

I've never had more than 1-2 pimples on my chin at one time. I just don't think I can handle looking like this for that much longer. Its already making me depressed and anxious and withdrawn - I've never looked this bad in my life. The spots its bringing up are taking forever to go away and leaving red marks, which I have never had either. And it could still get worse. I just don't think I can do this for another 4-6 wks (and then have to deal with the red marks left behind). I've read some reviews of Differin where people said they used it the full 12 weeks and their acne got worse and stayed worse than when it started. I'm worried that is what will happen to me. I can deal with a spot or two a month. A chin full of acne and red marks is another story. I just don't know if it is worth the risk.

I have that to but my forhead is not really breaking out my chin is not breaking out but it has a few im bout to start useing something called pantine it worked great when i usewd it befor so hopefully it works again.

I understand, I never had acne until I lived in San Diego for 4 months and then my chin exploded. I know it is really difficult for someone who never has acne to suddenly have severe acne out of no where. If you really want to stop your medication I completely understand. I think that you should have your doctor suggest some antibiotics you should take. Instead of the topical cream antibiotics really help without the severe initial break out. I have been on minocycline, and i really helped! That is probably the best route for you.

I understand that it is really difficult to sport acne when you have never had it before. Stay positive, for you it is temporary, for others it is not.

Also, tell your doctor you are going off your medication, and he will suggest the best method for you. He probably will suggest antibiotics to help your skin cope.

Thanks for the advice. I just don't know what I want to do at this point. I know other people have had more difficult histories with acne, and far worse cases than I could imagine. Mine isn't even severe - but several pimples on my chin accompanied by red marks is severe for me, I guess. I think it seems even worse because I was clear on my chin before this. And I will say differin is doing well on my forehead - which is the area I wanted it for in the first place. The blocked pores there are almost totally clear. It has also worked around my nose and cheeks on blocked pores too. Maybe my chin is giving me more problems because its the only place I get inflammatory acne. The spots there (even the non-inflammed ones) seem bigger and deeper too.

I have been on an antibiotic - doxy - for 3 weeks now. I thought it would be more helpful in preventing the inflammed spots (and the breakouts in general). So far it doesn't seem like it is. I don't know how soon these kick in? I've read 3-6 wks, but some people say if you aren't seeing results within a couple of weeks it isn't working for you.

You know, my acne breakout happened after a move too. I came out to the bay area from Sacramento. I went from a generally very dry climate to a more humid one. I was wondering if that had any effect. I also noticed a change in the oiliness of my skin and hair, so hormone shifts are possible too I guess. I've considered trying BCPs as well.

relative had problem on her chin - it was constant too, until she switched to a non-whitening toothpaste without sodium lauryl sulfate too - she only uses toms of maine toothpaste without flouride. problem on chin never came back and that was about a year ago. Also, there is a real problem with the silicones and other ingredients in shampoos/conditioner. the silicones from hair styling products, and even shampoos , conditioners ,(even many acne cleansers, moisurizers, primers etc),in the shower grab onto your skin and they are not easily washed off with soap. They are great for dry/damaged hair but because they smooth it and keep it smooth you really have to think of what is happening to your skin when it gets on it - you are actually washing your face with it. For now- using apple cider vinegar/water dillution and dabbing it on to let it help breakdown these ingredients. We do this because thats what they tell you to use in your hair from all the product buildup!

hi everyone! just would like to know, based on your own experience, what are the causes of chin acne? (for example, toothpaste, smoking, hormones, shampoo) and what do you think would be appropriate treatment for the cause? love y'all! :)

From my experience, chin acne (especially cysts) are caused by hormones. Before starting my regimen, I used to get at least 1 or 2 every month right on the day I ovulate. Since using retinoids, glycolic/salicylic/azlaic acid, Yaz, and Spiro, I don't really get them anymore. I think one of the necessary things (at least for me) is to take something internal in order to control your hormones.

You guys might find this useful. It's about fluoride and chin acne:

Thank you so much for posting this!!! I had acne around my mouth and chin that would not go away for years. I have varied my diet and tried everything else, but nothing worked. I saw your post and someone else's saying that sodium laurel sulfate in toothpaste causes acne in some people. I have been using baking soda as toothpaste for the past few days and it has made a huge difference. Less persistent redness and no new zits. I am also drinking a lot of lemon water and using the nicholas perricone facial cleansing products, But hands down the biggest improvement has come since I stopped using regular toothpaste. Please try this, you will not be sorry!!!!

relative had problem on her chin - it was constant too, until she switched to a non-whitening toothpaste without sodium lauryl sulfate too - she only uses toms of maine toothpaste without flouride. problem on chin never came back and that was about a year ago. Also, there is a real problem with the silicones and other ingredients in shampoos/conditioner. the silicones from hair styling products, and even shampoos , conditioners ,(even many acne cleansers, moisurizers, primers etc),in the shower grab onto your skin and they are not easily washed off with soap. They are great for dry/damaged hair but because they smooth it and keep it smooth you really have to think of what is happening to your skin when it gets on it - you are actually washing your face with it. For now- using apple cider vinegar/water dillution and dabbing it on to let it help breakdown these ingredients. We do this because thats what they tell you to use in your hair from all the product buildup!

Thank you so much for posting this!!! I had acne around my mouth and chin that would not go away for years. I have varied my diet and tried everything else, but nothing worked. I saw your post saying that sodium laurel sulfate in toothpaste causes acne in some people. I have been using baking soda as toothpaste for the past few days and it has made a huge difference. Less persistent redness and no new zits. I am also drinking a lot of lemon water and using the nicholas perricone facial cleansing products, But hands down the biggest improvement has come since I stopped using regular toothpaste. Thank you so much for spreading your insight and knowledge.

Anyone out there reading this, please try this, you will not be sorry!!!!

So i read all the posts concerning chin acne and well mine is a bit complicated first off i'm 22 soon to be 23 and i haven't had acne since i was 15. Suddenly about a month ago acne started popping up on my chin and lots of it and my usual treatments are taking way to long and when the initial ones i was treating went away new ones came up.I have extremely sensitive skin and as such benefit a lot from organic ingredients as i'm allergic to salicylic acis and benzoyl peroxide. i have had success in controlling my acne for years and this flare up is stressing me out which is probably making it worse. below is my skin care routine which has always worked, in addition i have been using the same toothpaste for yrs so i doubt that's it and my diet is sublime. I am also really clean when it comes to what touches my face ( no dirty hands, no hair near my face etc.) Basically i'm at a loss here any light at all on this would be helpful.

daily skin care:

cetaphil facial cleaser (bar)

a splash of rose water

neutrogena healthy defense daily moisturizer

nightime

same cleanser

differin gel/ deriva( same thing different brand)

Neutrogena oil-free moisture for sensitive skin