Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Calibos

Why do pictures on Camera's not match how i look in the mirror?

Guest Calibos

Is it just me, or does anyone else look in the mirror and think "Hey, i quite like what i see!" and then you take a picture 1 minute later and think "Oh jesus, no.... NOOOOO, WHY GOD WHY!!"

This doesn't neccessarily relate to acne but just how you feel about yourself in general.

I just did this and i really question how i look now, i barely recognise the person in some of my other photos, is it because in the mirror everything is reversed and in the camera its how you really look?

P.S - I'm not looking for compliments, i just want to know why so i know whether or not to pursue surgery when i have the money.

lol, I thought I was the only one! I swear I look totally different and worse on camera to in the mirror and just can't figure out why :think: In pics with my friends they all seem to look the same but I always look different to what I normally do, or maybe I'm just being over critical! :)

It happens to me. I look infinitely better in a mirror than in any picture I've ever seen of myself. It just seems to have to do with the way light is picked up by the camera and transferred to a two-dimensional medium. Especially if there is flash or a very bright light reflecting off of me, then the camera just screws everything up, drowning out my features and trimming some of my eyebrow hairs off. I get the feeling that, unless you have a very good camera and high-quality film, the contrast increases over what you see in person, exaggerating some things and drowning out others.

Me 2 :( Can work both ways though.

Suppose its all about the lighting in any situation...

Guest Calibos

god im so relieved im not the only one :D what do we really look like then?

I think a camera is a less accurate depiction than a mirror, my camera is only 3 mega pixels, real life quality is loads better.

i totally agree Janiet, i swear my friends look the same morning noon and night, real life photo's and video!

My only other bad feelings are when you take a picture with a flash and a picture outside in natural sunlight.

I notice that with a flash my skin looks smoother, my hair looks brighter, my eyes look nicer - just everything is better!

Then, when im outside with a normal photo i can see weird shadows on my face where i have some scars, my facial hair just looks like a weird blur, my eyes are completely unnoticeable, my hair looks a dull bland colour, i just dont know why it changes so much!! And the ultimate piss take is when you look in a mirror outside and you look good again!!

Curse you cameras!!!! CURSE YOU!!

Also, the person in the mirror is your inverse image...it is not really how your features are organized in the real world. A picture on the other hand is how you really look to others. If you were presented with a picture of yourself and a picture of yourself looking in a mirror, you would be familiar with and prefer the mirror image. Your friends and family however would be more familiar with the photograph.

lol, I thought I was the only one! I swear I look totally different and worse on camera to in the mirror and just can't figure out why :think: In pics with my friends they all seem to look the same but I always look different to what I normally do, or maybe I'm just being over critical! :)

its the other way around for me

It shouldn't be, unless you spend more time looking at photos of yourself than looking in the mirror.

Photoshop. Buy it. Then you can blur your problems away. :D

if only you could photoshop life

Also, the person in the mirror is your inverse image...it is not really how your features are organized in the real world. A picture on the other hand is how you really look to others. If you were presented with a picture of yourself and a picture of yourself looking in a mirror, you would be familiar with and prefer the mirror image. Your friends and family however would be more familiar with the photograph.

Hi Janiet, your friends look the same because you are used to seeing them as they are, and so when you see them in a photograph it is no different than seeing them in real life. You look different to yourself because you aren't used to seeing yourself as others see you (ie. as you really look). Instead, you are more used to seeing your inverted image in a mirror.

mmm :think: If you're right then its scary thinking that how I see myself in the mirror isn't how I really am... Aren't our faces meant to be symetrial though, so surely it wouldn't make a difference!? :wall:

Guest Calibos

God thats depressing, i look hideous in photos :'(

Hi Janiet, your friends look the same because you are used to seeing them as they are, and so when you see them in a photograph it is no different than seeing them in real life. You look different to yourself because you aren't used to seeing yourself as others see you (ie. as you really look). Instead, you are more used to seeing your inverted image in a mirror.

mmm :think: If you're right then its scary thinking that how I see myself in the mirror isn't how I really am... Aren't our faces meant to be symetrial though, so surely it wouldn't make a difference!? :wall:

It does make a difference. You can think of each side of our face like each hand...they are mirror images of each other but you can't superimpose them. But of course, no one's face is perfectly symmetrical. I can give you some sort of link if you want, when I get off work. It is true though that your mirror image is not the same as your real image.

Guest Calibos

i know for a fact mine isn't, one side of my jaw goes to one side and i fucking hate it, its cos of the way my teeth are and the way my jaw has formed, im gonna get surgery ASAP

Yeah.. I get the same feeling. Every time I start to feel pretty good about how I look, I get out the digital camera for some photos and then my confidence comes crashing down again! Thus the reason I constantly want to delete my gallery. :doubt:

So anyhow, are you guys saying that the only reason we feel ugly about our own "photo reflection" is because our subconscious isn't used to it or something?

If thats true, then surely you can't be nearly as ugly as you seem to yourself?

Guest Crawford

What about how you look in a video? Is it the same for video as it is for pictures?

Ive always thought i look pretty different on video.

Guest Calibos

when i saw myself in video i was shocked the way my mouth moved when i spoke, thought i looked ok though so i spose its more accurate than a photo, as your face isn't completely still the whole time

Guest Crawford

when i saw myself in video i was shocked the way my mouth moved when i spoke, thought i looked ok though so i spose its more accurate than a photo, as your face isn't completely still the whole time

haha same. i remember when i was 13 and watching my cousins wedding video and the camera swtiched to me babbling as usual. I dont know... it was just weird seeing the way my mouth moved. wtf? cant explain it.

Ive watched a few more videos of myself and its normal watching myself now. Probably just a first time thing seeing yourself operate. Still weird though.

I read somewhere, once upon a time, that people with good personalities don't look as good in pics. In other words, I adynamic personality is what makes a person attractive. If you look good in photos, it's likely you're a bit of a dud :D

What I can;t get over is how different I look in photos. From different angles, and depending on the smile, I could be different people. What's funny is that the pics that I LIKE of myself aren't necessarliy the pics my family likes of me. :think:

heh its the exact same with me but i personally i hate the mirror more because it really isn't wt others see b/c when i take photos of myself i look much different and well with my nose being all wierd and stuff... it sometimes looks better on camera and sometimes better in the mirror but another reason why mirrors arn't accurate is because they have flaws in them and well some magnifiy while others don't, they also reflect and such which also isn't a good thing... same thing can be said with cameras only if u have flash on... for a real picture of wt u look like u need to take a camera and take flash off b/c flash screws the way u look a little bit too... personnally ive thought about surgery buttt if u do its really only lying to urself and whoever u meet so thats why i keep my nose even though i absolutley hate it

p.s - also what u may think looks horrible, another may not but also vice versa.. if u think it looks good but others may not... its all about personal opinion

p.s (part 2) - the lighting in the bathroom also changes the way u look... usually turning the lights off and letting real light it can change the way u look even more but i still hate mirrors and cameras lol...

What about how you look in a video? Is it the same for video as it is for pictures?

Ive always thought i look pretty different on video.

Yeah how you look in a video is how you really appear to others. And this is the same as in pictures, because you are being viewed head on.

Yeah, it's all about lighting & shadows. Now you know Hollywood's secret! Have you ever run into, say, a local newscaster in person & thought they looked a lot different? Sometimes, they look better, sometimes, worse. It depends on the skills of the TV station's lighting director!

i dont think so...because ive looked into a mirror with my friend right there and she looks the same in the mirror as i see her in real life..so i dont beleive this..i mean obviously the mirror is backwards but what u see is what u get...i mean its not that freakin different really..ive looked in photos and seen myself exactly as i see myself in the mirror. Ive had ppl look at my photos and say i look much better in real life and they told me the photo desnt look like me.

So that theory is twisted..i believe what i see in the mirror is what i pretty much look like...its just when we "pose" or have a photo taken its done in fucked up lights or the camera will pick up on tiny flaws that most ppl cant see in real life...so i wouldnt get too depressed and paranoid..i for 1, just saw photos of my mum and dad done and they didnt look anything like their photos...they look much better in real life.

So dont think u look as your photo...u may just look a lot better then u think.

nah i think mirrors can be pretty far off b/c like i said before some mirrors may not be perfect and well the lighting can seriously change the way u look... cuz i can look in two different mirrrors and see two different things... i think lighting probably plays a bigger part though... but for both mirror and camera i think camera can be more accurate than the mirror if done without flash (digital usually better to have) and done in natural light

eh its all about lighting. mirrors , photos, u can look so diffrent from one to the other, but also u can look diffrent from photo to photo.. more light picks up more problems, like scars :( fucking sucks :cry: