Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Droogie_

Salicylic Acid W/ the Regimen?

I recently started the regimen, but am using a cleanser which has salicylic acid in it. I haven't noticed any effects except that my skin has been dryer than normal.

It's not the BP. My skin was already accustomed to it, I have been using it for over a year now.

I've read here that using salicylic acid along the regimen is a bad idea, is dryness the only side effect of using it along with the regimen?

You should not use SA with the Regimen, especially during the first few months, because using more than one acne medication can increase dryness/redness/irritation which can = more acne.

Stick to a gentle cleanser, 2.5% bp, and oil-free moisturizer.

Salicylic acid, which unclogs pores because it is a lipid soluble exfoliant and can therefore penetrate into the pore unlike alpha hydroxy acids, which are water soluble, can be used with benzoyl peroxide, provided it is not in an alcohol base and contains no other skin irritants like lavender, clove, oregano, ylang ylang, peppermint, eucalyptus, and arnica, to name some of the most common. It also should have a pH of under 4, which can be tested with pH testing strips. Paula's Choice makes some great salicylic acid (called "beta hydroxy acid" in her line) products which can be ordered off of www.cosmeticscop.com, or you could also try Neutrogena Clear Pore Treatment (which is advertised as a nightime only treatment but can be used up to twice daily like other 2% salicylic acid products). Salicylic acid is thought to start working quickly, especially when in a liquid or gel solution, meaning that it may actually help increase the penetration of benzoyl peroxide. Plus, salicylic acid, a derivative of aspirin, is thought to retain its anti-inflammatory properties, meaning that it may help soothe irritation. You can apply salicylic acid every other day, once a day, or twice a day. It does not have to be applied in conjunction with benzoyl peroxide, so if you only apply benzoyl peroxide once a day but want to apply salicylic acid twice a day, or vice versa, that should be fine depending on your skin sensitivity. If you notice any minor skin irritation, such as dryness, stinging, or redness, when starting use of salicylic acid you might want to reduce your applications and gradually work your way up to your desired amount of applications. Many people experience a temporary skin sensitivity when applying a new "active ingredient" which typically lasts one-two weeks. If skin irritation persists or noticeably worsens while using salicylic acid even ater the two week period and after reducing your applications, you may need to stop using it or search for another salicylic acid product with a different formulation (just because a salicylic acid product is irritating to your skin does not mean that you are sensitive to salicylic acid- it could be an "inactive ingredient" that is the culprit). Don't use salicylic acid if you are allergic to aspirin. I don't think using salicylic acid cleansers is a good idea because 1) most cleansers have a pH of around 5 or 6, making the salicylic acid ineffective 2) even if the cleanser had an effective pH, a lot (although not all) of the salicylic acid would be washed away before it could start working 3) some acne cleansers, like Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash, contain harsh detergents such as Sodium C14-16 Olein Sulfonate and sodium lauryl sulfate. Look for a gentle, sodium laureth sulfate (there is a difference) based cleansers like Aveeno Ultra Calming Foaming Cleanser.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Although the above post sounds great in theory, unfortunately in practice it's much different. I'd back Brandy's post 100%. There's absolutely no need, from what i've seen the regimen to do, for adding in SA.

Just my opinion as someone who's used SA to good results, but understands that it can definately be a bad thing in certain circumstances. ;)

The need for salicylic acid is that benzoyl peroxide is a disinfectant, which can definately kill bacteria and reduce inflammation of a pimple, but cannot actually exfoliate within the pore like a salicylic acid product can to unclog pores and help prevent clogged pores in the first place. Benzoyl peroxide only tackles part of the problem, just like salicylic acid only tackles part of the problem (provided a person's acne is more complex than just blackheads and whiteheads where in bacteria is not an issue, in which case salicylic acid may be all that's needed). To those that think salicylic acid does not make a difference, they probably have never used a pH effective product, did not apply it correctly, used it in an alcohol-based solution or solution with other irritants, or relied on salicylic acid found exclusively in a cleanser. Without salicylic acid in my skin care regimen (which I've tried) my pores clog like crazy, even when I use a benzoyl peroxide product.

This is an interesting topic. Can anyone else contribute? Snow Queen's theory sounds pretty good. Can anyone back it or recommend safe SA products that you could use with the regimen? Also, would you put it on before applying the BP?

Here's a quote about salicylic acid increasing the penetration of other topical products.

"How does salicylic acid work?

Salicylic acid works by softening keratin, a protein that forms part of the skin structure. This helps to loosen dry scaly skin making it easier to remove. When salicylic acid is used in combination with other medicines it takes off the upper layer of skin allowing the additional medicines to penetrate more effectively."

http://www.dermnetnz.org/treatments/salicylic-acid.html

Here's a quote about salicylic acid increasing the penetration of other topical products.

"How does salicylic acid work?

Salicylic acid works by softening keratin, a protein that forms part of the skin structure. This helps to loosen dry scaly skin making it easier to remove. When salicylic acid is used in combination with other medicines it takes off the upper layer of skin allowing the additional medicines to penetrate more effectively."

http://www.dermnetnz.org/treatments/salicylic-acid.html

The reason why many (including the above mentioned source), but by know means all, people reccommend not using salicylic acid in conjunction with benzoyl peroxide unless directed by a dermatologist is because the increased penetration also increases the risk of irritation for the benzoyl peroxide, although these risks are toned down by salicylic acid's anti-inflammatory qualities. However, the website also mentions the use of prescription combination medications including those that combine salicylic acid with sulfur, and sulfur is considered to be more irritating than benzoyl peroxide. I think that from a dermatological standpoint, salicylic acid in conjunction with a disinfectant can be very beneficial, but should be monitored for irritation, which is why they advise speaking with a doctor first. Ancedotally, I know of many people that combine salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide. Also, some over-the-counter acne medications combine the two ingredients such as Acnefree Acne and Blackhead Terminator, although I do not know the pH of that particular product so cannot reccommend it. To answer Verdizzy's question, salicylic acid should be applied first.

So many insightful opinions i love it.... i want to use a SA product like once a day like nights or something with the regimen.... please recommend a cleanser i can get over the counter

Actually, the cleanser I am using now has SA in it and my skin is taking it really well. To tell you the truth, I think it is working better for me than any of the other gentle cleansers I have tried. I guess it just depends on the person.

I'd like to try a SA product with a good ph as recommended by snow queen. Are there any recommendations out there?

I'd probably use it once every other day or so just to aid the regimen.

Well, I have been using the Beta Hydroxy product from Paula's CHoice and so far I love it . . . no extra irritation surprisingly.

Ancedotally, I know of many people that combine salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide. Also, some over-the-counter acne medications combine the two ingredients such as Acnefree Acne and Blackhead Terminator, although I do not know the pH of that particular product so cannot reccommend it. To answer Verdizzy's question, salicylic acid should be applied first.

I can personally testify to the AcneFree "Acne and Blackhead Terminator Medicated Spot Treatment". It contains 1.5% Salicylic Acid, and 1.0% Benzoyl Peroxide. It is a gel, not a cream and it goes on really easily, without over-irritating. If they made it in a more cost-effective manner, I would use it exclusively to substitute the 2.5% BP. It honestly got me clear when using it like you would use Neutrogena OTS with the regimen, I just think that $6 per bottle (wal-mart) or more is a bit too pricey for .75 ounce bottle.

But as stated by many other people, using the Regimen described here on Acne.org, without salicylic acid will, in most cases work incredibly well in keeping you clear. Good luck either way...

I want to get a salicylic cleanser to use at nights with regimen sooo bad but i dont want it to turn into a disaster ughhh decisions decisions.... also i used that acne free SA BP Combo gel for spot treating indeed it worked well

Hey some guy dude i see where your coming from. I recently incorporated a salicylic acid cleanser into my regimen. its the clean and clear one its really good. i was using it twice a day at the start but found that it was too much so now i only use it at night and just wash my face with water in the morning and it works like a charm!! :dance: ive been playin around with sooo many different regimens for so long but so far this has been my favourite thing.

Hey some guy dude i see where your coming from. I recently incorporated a salicylic acid cleanser into my regimen. its the clean and clear one its really good. i was using it twice a day at the start but found that it was too much so now i only use it at night and just wash my face with water in the morning and it works like a charm!! :dance: ive been playin around with sooo many different regimens for so long but so far this has been my favourite thing.

Is it this Advantage one http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...Y-PLST-0-SEARCH thats the one i was planning on trying

Is it this Advantage one http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...Y-PLST-0-SEARCH thats the one i was planning on trying

I wouldn't recommend using a cleanser like that made by clean and clear with the regimen as as it designed for acne it wil contain acne fighting ingredients. These along with BP use could over irritate your skin and lead to further breakouts. For cleansers suitable with the regimen check out the recommended products list http://www.acne.org/rate.php?disp_cat=3&anchor=browse#browse :)

I would think that a cleanser such as this clean and clear one you are speaking of will be quite irritating on your skin. It has 2% SA in it, and if you read the reviews on drugstore.com many people don't recommend it. It doesnt even state whether it is non-comodegenic.

I would just use one of the recommended cleansers on the Acne.org Regimen like Janiet53 said in the above post. If for some reason you have followed the regimen and it has not cleared you up after a few months, then you might try incorporating something else to help clear your skin.

Just in case I caused some confusion in my first post on this thread, I AM NOT recommending any S.A. acne treatment used alongside the Clear Skin regimen. Often times, when you use Salicylic Acid (especially in a cleanser form-from experience) alongside Benzoyl Peroxide, too much irritation can occur, leading to new breakouts. This was also posted by The Snow Queen above. I was simply trying to say that the formula I tried (the AcneFree Medicated Spot Treatment) is formulated well, atleast for my skin and it did not cause much irritation. It may be because it only has 1% Benzoyl peroxide, and 1.5% salicylic Acid.

Please just stick to the Regimen until it clears you up, and then you might want to add in something slowly to see how your skin reacts to it. I know, it is extremely tempting to try to make what your using BETTER, but just look at the CSR testimonials. It works. Period. End of Story. Follow It, and you will most likely see the results...

Thanks for the advice guys n gals im not gonna change anything..... i been on the regimen on and off for about 3 years now and although im pretty dang clear to most everyones standards here, I still have lots of clogged pores and blackheads... again not very severe but still noticable im always looken for a way to get perfect skin as i still get about 4-6 pimples a week most not very bad ya know but its still frustrating.... im pretty happy with the cetaphil cleanser and all the other products i use from my regimen idk i guess ill just keep trying natural ways like taken certain vitamins n crap

Thanks for talken me down im sure it woulda been disasterous

While Snow Queen did provide some good information (thanks Snow Queen!), Dan does not recommend people use SA with the CSR regimen, especially for the first 3 months of use. The regimen has a good success rate without adding in anything else that could potentially lead to more dryness and irritation.

http://www.acne.org/faq.html#salicylicacid