Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
danmaftei

Lifeguarding this summer, some questions

In shopping for a new moisturizer, I realized that lifeguarding will be a bitch for me and my acne.

I PMed Brandy about a moisturizer, since she reacted very badly to the Neutrogena Oil-Free w/SPF-15 moisturizer, as I did, and she mentioned the Q10 Eucerin and Complex15.

Well, my questions are this:

- Is an SPF-15 moisturizer enough, if it's broad-spectrum? I don't know much about tanning and SPF and whatnot.

- Would it be OK to use the Complex15 (it has no SPF) and on top of that to put a sunscreen on? I'm pretty sure a sunscreen alone won't moisturize me, my skin gets dry from the tremendous amount of BP I use.

- How is Eucerin Extra Protective Moisture Lotion? It has SPF-30 (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=79531&catid=21513&trx=PLST-0-CAT&trxp1=21513&trxp2=79531&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-CAT)

Thanks.

In shopping for a new moisturizer, I realized that lifeguarding will be a bitch for me and my acne.

I PMed Brandy about a moisturizer, since she reacted very badly to the Neutrogena Oil-Free w/SPF-15 moisturizer, as I did, and she mentioned the Q10 Eucerin and Complex15.

Well, my questions are this:

- Is an SPF-15 moisturizer enough, if it's broad-spectrum? I don't know much about tanning and SPF and whatnot.

That should be enough for every day activities and if your skin is not too sensitive. If you have photo sensitive skin and will not be wearing a hat of some kind while spending long hours in the sun, I would definitely go with spf 30.

- Would it be OK to use the Complex15 (it has no SPF) and on top of that to put a sunscreen on? I'm pretty sure a sunscreen alone won't moisturize me, my skin gets dry from the tremendous amount of BP I use

Yes, that would be fine. Wait a few minutes for the Complex to absorb and then put the spf on it (spf always on top). Make sure you put the spf on your skin at least 20 minutes before you go out in the sun.

A lot of people have said that it is not absorbant enough and too thick, so it leaves your skin white. I would research a bit more for something better.

Well, I think I have found my favorite moisturizer (Burt's Bees Beeswax Moisturizer), but it has no SPF-15.

What are some good sunscreens? Is there such a thing as "natural" sunscreen? Thanks.

if you are lifeguarding outside, i would get at least spf 30 (higher is even better, but the difference in protection becomes less as you go up as far as i know) . spf 15 would be okay for when you're just out for a little while and you're exposed for a short amount of time. like a typical day if you had to run errands and it was sunny outside.

check the bottle that it actually says BROAD SPECTRUM. i know neutrogena's line (their actual sunscreen line) says that. u want to cover both UVA and UVB rays. also grab a lip balm with spf. and don't forget sunglasses.

sunscreen absorbs uv rays. you will still tan tho, but it'll block out 95% of the bad stuff. reapply every 2-3 hours

i personally use neutrogena's dry touch spf 30. you can give that a shot. i put it overtop my regimen when i need to.