Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kirstin

Oil is ruining my life!

Above I said, "And my skin texture is probably the best it's been in a decade. I'm guessing the green cream and mandelic acid are greatly contributing to that, but it could be a combo of the millions of things I'm using topcially and internally."

I knew I shouldn't have said that! Shortly thereafter I switched to the alcohol version of mandelic GOW 10% for two days and my face got very irritated and very red. It sucked. I immediately switched to the non alcohol version, but came to the realization that mandelic simply makes me peel way too much and never seems to let up. (I talked a bit more about it here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=105440 I'm getting lazy. hehe.)

I'm back w/ Paula's choice salicylic acid 2% liquid and it's like a slice of heaven compared to mandelic. Peeling is greatly reduced (still peeling from the mandelic at the moment I believe) and irritation is pretty much gone down to zero. And my skin texture is probably the best....err, forget that thought. :naughty:

Anyway, I just ordered two more months supply of guggle and beta sitosterol. I still have high hope that those products are going to help w/ the oil. I plan to stick w/ them for a long time (read many months) so long as I don't experience any adverse side effects, which thus far I can't notice any.

I'm still noticing significantly reduced oil. Now that the crazy peeling should stop by ditching the mandelic I should be able to see if it was just the dead skin hiding and/or aborbing the oil that was causing the seemingly reduced oil. I hope not.

Also, since my oil level is off the charts and truly in the ridicuously oily category, even if it was reduced by 50% I figure I'd still qualify as extremely oily, etc.

I'd say progress is good and I'm still very much encouraged that some of the tons of crap I'm using topically and internally is helping reduce the oil.

Stay tuned.....and good luck w/ everyone else. Kirstin, it sounds like your accutane experience is coming along well. That's awesome! Hang in there!

Ultra-low dose isotretinoin is all you may need.

http://www.dermatologytimes.com/dermatolog...il.jsp?id=65528

"Some patients come only because of their oiliness. ... For these patients, I think the low or ultra-low dose is very good, and it's cheap, too," he said.

San Francisco - Low and ultra-low doses of isotretinoin are an effective therapy for many acne patients. This safer and cheaper solution can even be used continuously.

Print out this article and show it to your derm.

Any questions feel free to PM me.

Yeah, I saw your post in another thread. I've heard of low dose, and it has indeed been mentioned above and elsewhere, but I read you're link and it sounds very promising. I like the "ultra" part since I'm scared of accutane. ;)

Thanks for the post, I definitely haven't ruled accutane out, and I'm not sure I've heard of "ultra" dose until your post. I've heard of "low" dose. Again, an "ulta" low dose might be a good baby step for me to get a handle on this madness. Though my oil might be too intense for a ultra or low does. :think: Tho on top of everything else I'm doing, it might do the trick!

Ultra-low dose isotretinoin is all you may need.

http://www.dermatologytimes.com/dermatolog...il.jsp?id=65528

"Some patients come only because of their oiliness. ... For these patients, I think the low or ultra-low dose is very good, and it's cheap, too," he said.

San Francisco - Low and ultra-low doses of isotretinoin are an effective therapy for many acne patients. This safer and cheaper solution can even be used continuously.

Print out this article and show it to your derm.

Any questions feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the great article!

My current derm is willing to put me on low dose (10mg/day, probably higher than ultra b/c my skin is like IO said "ridiculously oily") for an indefinite amount of time...BUT I plan on moving in the next 6 months to a year, so I will have to find one that is willing to do low dose.

I'm gonna print this out for sure, to use when I move!

IO-Sounds like you are still making some progress. Keep us posted!

BTW-my friend is going to an endocrinologist for her acne prob. Has anyone gone to one for their oil prob?

K

nope, maybe i should though........since accutane does affect your liver which i think is related to sebum ? not sure though

Has anyone tried the new oil supressor AC.NET. It is a combo of NDGA and Oleanolic acids.

Here is the USA patent 20040254245:

Here is the advertisement pdf (takes some time to download):

http://www.newfreshstart.com/studies/ac-net.pdf

I found several cheap products containing the acid combo simply using google:

MCP Acne Clear gel containing both can be found at :

[url=http://www.greatamericanproducts.com/pages/Home/Shopping/Skin_Care/MCP_Acne_Clear

The price is $16/oz

Another one is Acne Active Hydrator:

The Canadian Purely simple skin care are even cheaper:

http://www.caeran.com/products/CAN/ps-skinCare.htm

Avon True Pore-Fection Oil-Free Skin-Clearing Lotion contains it (but also has 0.5% Salicillyc acid which maybe irritable to some):

[url=http://shop.avon.com/avonshop/default.asp?couponCode=&department=fastfind&line_id=109

the price is about $5/oz

I haven't tried any of those and can't offer personal experience. I oredered the MCP Acne Clear gel.

I just saw this thread and would like to talk about oily skin too.

I have a very oily skin. After washing my face, around 30 min or so, you can already see the oil forming out on my nose. After about 1 hr.. my whole face is covered in oil. When I blot a tissue for example, you can clearly see the oil in the tissue. At the end of a day where I dont clear out the oil, you can CLEARLY see the oil forming out of each of my nose pores (sounds disgusting and it is :S).

I've tried B5 and it doesnt work. In fact, it broke me out pretty bad but I think that's because of the vitamin deficiency B5 was causing. Point is, my oil didnt decrease so I stopped.

Now I'm on nothing. I figured since medicine couldnt reduce the oilness, I might as well not try anything. I would gladly go for accutane, but I have no family doctor. I'm using C&C Oil absorbing sheet and roughly, I use 1 every hour. Very expensive in the long run.

Also about the oil behind the ear. Actually I do have excess oil behind the ear too.. and I get pimples there form time to time, especially the lower part of the ear.

If there is anything that reduce the oil even by 10%, I would gladly try it out!

It's been 15 or 16 days now - still no results. I haven't lost a single ounce of weight either (I'm not fat but I wouldn't mind losing like 10 pounds). I'm going to do the liver flush as soon as I get the time. Oily skin sufferers, I don't think this is the "cure" we've been looking for. I'm still going to finish off the supply that I have now but I honestly feel that it's useless. I ordered 2 bottles of each (guggul and sitosterol) so my supply should last another month. :wall:

PC101-

What kind of flush are you going to do? I did the one with grapefruit juice and olive oil. It was NASTY! I couldn't keep it down! I would not recommend it, but some say they have had great results with it.

I am new to this forum, but definately not new to oily skin/acne!

I have extremely oily skin/acne! I hate it! It runs my life and stresses me out. I have tried just about everything to get rid of the oil. I have gone to sooo many doctors and they keep giving me retinols and bp. It seems when I use the meds, my skin is still oily and on top of that it is flaky. I tell them everytime that they do not control my oil! They don't listen!

I am wondering if the meds they give me cause more oil.

Is it true that it would be illegal for the derm here in the US to prescribe me accutane since I only have moderate acne?

Am I just going to the wrong doctors? How do I find one that will listen to me?

Try to consult a cosmetic dermatologist who specializes in acne. Dermatology is a vast field but there are doctors who specialize in acne treatments. There are lots of doctors out there who could do miracles for you. Since I am from NJ, I can suggest a Jeffrey Rapaport, MD in Englewood, NJ. He was instrumental in fixing my acne troubles and the scarring associated with it about 7 years ago. Call him or write to him. May be he is on the web as well.

instead of using those tiny expensive C&C blotting sheets, use toilet seat covers. you can find them in almost every public bathroom. I keep a box of them in my car (i work at the airport so i have easy access to them). If you're out at a resturaunt or club, then take a trip to the bathroom and you should find some in one of the stalls. Works GREAT! And they're big. One sheet is enough for my whole face.

Kirstin,

I'm going to do the grapefruit and olive oil flush. I've read that it doesn't work for some people but I've got to try it out. I'm not doing it for another few weeks because I want to have the time to stay home and uh you know.

I've also read that you can get rid of a lot of impurities if you fast for a week or so.

I've also read that people get rid of acne and oily skin when they fast for long periods of time.

Who knows...

I have extremely oily skin/acne! I hate it! It runs my life and stresses me out. I have tried just about everything to get rid of the oil. I have gone to sooo many doctors and they keep giving me retinols and bp. It seems when I use the meds, my skin is still oily and on top of that it is flaky. I tell them everytime that they do not control my oil! They don't listen!

Is it true that it would be illegal for the derm here in the US to prescribe me accutane since I only have moderate acne?

GET a derm who will give you accutane. its a hell of a 4 months, but it works.

For the past week or so I've been doing a little experimenting with my regimen. I switched cleansers to cetaphil and stopped using any alpha hydroxy and glycolic acid creams on my skin. Instead I replaced the creams and moisturizers with pure aloe vera. I just tear off a piece off from the plant and put it on my skin, wait till it dries and put on bp. I have seen a HUGE reduction in the amount of blackheads, and my skin is way less irritated and red, and it seems like my acne is healing much faster than before. I also started taking saw palmetto. I haven't noticed any difference in oil production yet, but no side effects anyways. I'll give the saw palmetto a couple of months to see if there are any changes in the oil. If not...spiro here I come.

I have very oily skin too, especially when I wake up in the morning... I got it from my mom I think (what she said)... What I do is use oil blotting paper... i really helps! The brnad I use is Shiseldo, it's a brand sold at the Mall in Macy's. It's a little expensive, but it's the best. It's 13 dollars per 100 sheets.

Kirstin,

I'm going to do the grapefruit and olive oil flush. I've read that it doesn't work for some people but I've got to try it out. I'm not doing it for another few weeks because I want to have the time to stay home and uh you know.

I've also read that you can get rid of a lot of impurities if you fast for a week or so.

I've also read that people get rid of acne and oily skin when they fast for long periods of time.

Who knows...

I do water fasts, but not since I have been on accutane. I really wanted to do the master cleanse (bought the book and some of the stuff) but it was never the right time, and I was afraid that I would breakout toooo much!

Every six months I do the smart cleanse stuff, and it really seems to cleanse me. Its easier, but probably not as effective.

Good luck on the liver flush! I mixed my epsom salts with apple juice, so it wasn't so bad. But, dang, I just couldn't keep all of that stuff down. YUCK! I really had my mind made up that I was gonna go through with it all, but it didn't turn out that way. Sometimes, even though that rxn may occur, you can still have success...I didn't though...

There's some great herbal Liver detox teas. I use Yogi teas...it smells horrible, but I feel its effective in detoxing.

K

Try to consult a cosmetic dermatologist who specializes in acne. Dermatology is a vast field but there are doctors who specialize in acne treatments. There are lots of doctors out there who could do miracles for you. Since I am from NJ, I can suggest a Jeffrey Rapaport, MD in Englewood, NJ. He was

instrumental in fixing my acne troubles and the scarring associated with it about 7 years ago. Call him or write to him. May be he is on the web as well.

Dr Rapaprt is not a good doctor.I went to him for cross and subcision and I have hyperpigmentation stains on my face! If you want trouble, by all means go to him.

hey guys i just discovered an awesome toner. aveda exfoliator is the name of it and its in a green glass bottle. i have been considering making my own toner so ive been researching which extracts to use and this has most of them. i mean of course its not a miracle but it has made a big difference in my oil and complexion. i think lemon balm (melissa) is the really effective ingredient for oil and exxfoliation. its good stuff.

I thought I should throw my little two cents into this thread...

I, too am insanely oily. Spiro has helped tremendously! I was skeptical at first, but it has reduced it significantly. The cysts, however, have not subsided due to stress and other things, so I might be going for tane round number five shortly! Le sigh.

Fruity- Aveda's products are so awesome! I'm gonna definately keep that on my list post tane. I'm not sure if my oil is going to be gone after this treatment. I had to go on half dose for a couple days and then none for two days and my oil came back!

(btw-how's the baby shopping/nursery coming along?)

PC- That totally sucks! I really thought maybe that would help! Damn! Maybe it takes longer? Geez...

MsKitty- I am really afraid that my oil will come back after accutane! Damn! I'm not sure if the low dose treatment will keep my oil away...I had to go about 3 days with half dosage and two days without (ipledge bs) and my oil came back! I'm really not sure if 10mg/day will keep it under control! The oil makes me CRAZY!

K

MsKitty- I am really afraid that my oil will come back after accutane! Damn! I'm not sure if the low dose treatment will keep my oil away...I had to go about 3 days with half dosage and two days without (ipledge bs) and my oil came back! I'm really not sure if 10mg/day will keep it under control! The oil makes me CRAZY!

K

Can Spiro be used in conjunction with accutane? I would rather it in my system before I stop the tane! Crap! I really dont want the oil back!

Can Spiro be used in conjunction with accutane? I would rather it in my system before I stop the tane! Crap! I really dont want the oil back!

I don't think it's safe to use both; I believe that spiro can mess with your blood pressure, liver, and potassium levels in addition to all the stress accutane adds to it. Plus, you have to be at a decent dosage (100 mg) in order for its affects to be seen.

I know how much oily skin sucks :( I am right there with you! That's why I want to go back on tane!